Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

RX Pack Charging?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 11:26 AM
robin640

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX Pack Charging?

I run my truck once a week and give the RX pack a 4 hour charge before running the T-Maxx each time.

Do you discharge your RX pack after using it and recharge for 12 hours before running again? If you do discharge, what do you use? I have a 6 volt 1100 ma and my friend has a 4.8 volts 750 ma.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2004, 03:31 PM
mmaise

Default RE: RX Pack Charging?

If its a nimth pack I don't think it needs discharging.But I am not sure
Old 10-12-2004, 04:34 PM
redheat8

If it's NiCd then fill free to discharge every so often , charge at a slow rate, RED
Old 10-12-2004, 09:05 PM
Cloud15x

Wow, 12 hours to charge. At 1 amp my 1400's seem to charge a lot faster than that......

I don't think cyclying has any major disadvantages, besdies the time wasited. NIMH don't have much of a memory, but If you want to get techinal, you probably should.....Drive it more I mean [>:]
Old 10-12-2004, 09:29 PM
fastcrash

ORIGINAL: Cloud15x

Wow, 12 hours to charge. At 1 amp my 1400's seem to charge a lot faster than that......

I don't think cyclying has any major disadvantages, besdies the time wasited. NIMH don't have much of a memory, but If you want to get techinal, you probably should.....Drive it more I mean [>:]
cycling batteries is fine , but if you over do it, your just waisting your money, batteries have only a certain life span, dont waste it.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:00 PM
SexyPizzaMan
My Feedback: (19)

Does the revo rx battery need to be discharged. I just charge it befor i drive is that ok, even if i only use it once then charge it??
Old 10-13-2004, 09:36 AM
fhm101

As i understand it, discharging is to equalize the voltage in the individual cells so they will all get an equal amount of charge. Since nicad cells have a memory it is important to cycle them, but as was already mentioned nimh cells have little memory so it would follow that discharging would not be as critical. The new nimh cells were just coming out when i quit racing electric and at that time it was recommended that you not discharge these packs, but from what little I've read on battery tech since then it now seems the fast electric guys are doing some sort of cycling of their nimh packs. All I use for rx packs these days is nimh cells and the packs I use every week don't seem to gain any significant amount of run time from discharging. I have found that if I let one sit for a few weeks between uses they will do better if I discharge them before i charge them up. I use one dual element automotive taillight bulb for a 2 amp discharge and leave it hooked up until only one element is glowing. You should never discharge a battery all the way down as you risk polarity reversal when you recharge it.

Almost forgot, my new rx packs have been so good it's been a while since I've had to buy a new one, but i've learned a little about breaking in a new nimh pack that may be helpful.
The first few times you charge a nimh pack it won't take much of a charge, but the more you use it the more charge it will take up to around the 3rd or 4th time it's hit. I have found that if i deep discharge my rx packs those first couple of times, the packs take a better charge and last longer than simply throwing them on a charger when they get low.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:52 AM
redheat8

Thats good solid information on packs that I have found to be true myself, if I may say also it is so important to not over charge your cells and get them hot that only damages them, RED
Old 10-13-2004, 03:24 PM
fhm101

Good point. I never have to worry about heat using my Pitbull so I'm always forgetting to mention it. Charge rate of .5 A with a dropback of .02 V and my packs will run a couple of race days without any problems.