Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

REVO cold weather break-in??

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Mr. Furious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REVO cold weather break-in??

Hey all,
I'm getting ready to buy a REVO. Actually it would probably already be on the way but Tower sold out of them(again). It's pretty near winter here but temps are still in the 40's most days. I'm wondering if I buy a REVO at the end of October and break it in sometime in early November with temps in the 30's, will I be asking for trouble? Can I successfully heat cycle the 2.5R to make it last or will I wind up killing it quickly by breaking it in in the cold weather?

Thanks
Old 10-26-2004, 01:35 PM
cavegod

Default RE: REVO cold weather break-in??

its about 12 centigrade here in uk and ive been trying to break my engine in for the last week every time i get halfway throught the first tank the weather turns nasty so i have to quit, and try again another day! oh well i will suceed one day! ive had no probs startng it since i start it inside the house.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:20 PM
dr_killer_uk

Should be ok as long as youwarm the engine up before starting it (75F- 25C) use a hair dryer, but it you have it inside not in a cold garage or some thing it should be ok as long as its room temp. Oh ya dont' let it cool down outside if its real cold or it will cool to fast.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:29 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

Get a temp gauge and see what it runs at. If its running too cold for break-in you can carefully wrap the cooling head with a small peice of cloth or anything that will restrict airflow, and just check it until you get it running in the right temp range.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:41 PM
fastcrash

untill you complete breakin of the revo, keep the truck in your house. this way it will be warm for you.

are you using a temp guage?

if so monitor the temp during breakin. it should be between 210 and 250(WITHOUT TOUCHING THE NEEDLES!!!!) IF THIS TEMP CANNOT BE ACHIEVED, USE SOME MASKING TAPE OR SOMETHING TO BLOCK SOME OF THE COOLING FINS.

sorry for the caps i forgot to turn them off.[8D]
Old 10-27-2004, 03:59 PM
fastcrash

sorry, my target temps are inaccurate. traxxas goes into this topic with great detail on page 32 of the revo owners manual. they give target temps if 200 to 215. they also give tips on how to achieve this temp without leaning the engine.

they also recomend not operating your nitro engine below 35 deg.f because the nitro fuel may start to gel up at or slightly below that temp.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:11 PM
casper36

I broke-in my T-Maxx 2.5 last winter(november) ,did the first 2 tanks indoors ,the other 3 outside in -15c I wrapped the engine with a cut sock..You should see the T-Maxx perform in the snow!!It's wild!! I live in Northern Ontario Canada so my Maxx is 4-season.This winter I want to run with STUDDED TIRES ,there is also a FRONT-SKI KIT for the T-Maxx.
I'm on my second gallon and it still runs great ,though I would not recommend winter break-in ,I'm sure it will take life off of my T-Maxx engine...letcha knows when it blows..
I ran my T-Maxx all last winter in -0c -25c sometimes colder ,some waterproofing,blow it off with 120 psi air nozzle when your done ,parts are allot more brittle