Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

HIGH TORQUE SERVO

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 06:40 AM
dr_killer_uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HIGH TORQUE SERVO

I want to hear so opinions on a servo i just got yesterday its a blue bird BMS-620MG. IT has 144 oz-in. at 6V and 126 oz-in. at 4.8V also it has metal gears, i got it for $35 brand new in box., what you all think as using it for a steering servo?

Jonny
Old 10-27-2004, 06:54 AM
XSiVE

Default RE: HIGH TORQUE SERVO

have you replaced any of your other servos yet?
Old 10-27-2004, 07:02 AM
dr_killer_uk

no the actual servo is in the post but when i get it the crappy stock steering servo is going as the brake and throttle for some ectra breaking power
Old 10-27-2004, 07:59 AM
XSiVE

That's exactly what I did, I got a Hitec metal gear [email protected] servo, replaced the steering sevo with it, and then put the steering servo on the throttle/brake.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:54 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

I put the higher torque servo on my throttle/brake and it was a bad idea. It caused the vehicle to brake really really well, but that is not a good thing. If you stop the tranny before the clutch disengages you will strip gears. I had to replace my primary gear because I did this, so I put the stock servo back on. For the steering it is different, the higher the torque, the better.

Just be warned that increasing the torque on your brake servo will require you to use the brake with restraint and caution or you will strip gears.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:03 PM
dr_killer_uk

no stripping gears in mine its all metal
Old 10-27-2004, 03:26 PM
tommythecat

Keep in mind that instant breaking (locking it up while at speed) will strain everything in the drivetrain. So if your tranny and other gears are all metal and do not strip, the excess strain will be absorbed by the engine or drive shafts, which is not a good thing. If you aren't having problems then just disregard what I say, but keep in mind that stopping or quickly slowing the wheels before the clutch disengages will strain something, and will likely eventually break the weakest point in the drivetrain or the engine. However, if you have the skills and restraint to avoid locking it up, you will get much better braking from the hightorque servo, just be sure to use a light finger when applying the brake.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:31 PM
dr_killer_uk

my breaking sucks at the moment so with the stock steering servo it should just about be right.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:32 PM
tamiya08
My Feedback: (10)

i have a question about the revo with its dual steering, could i buy a high torque servo and only put in one instead of 2?
Old 10-27-2004, 03:34 PM
tommythecat

Basically, as long as your not locking the wheels up you should be OK. Hell give it a try, just be sure that if it starts locking the wheels up at speed, you loosen the outer braking plate a hair until it brakes smoothly without locking. Best of luck.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:45 PM
redheat8

Tommythecat, try adjusting the linkage , I had the same thing happen years ago and all I did was adjust the linkage to were it would start to catch the brake disc and it was fine, once you do that you'll really like that servo, RED
Old 10-27-2004, 07:09 PM
tommythecat

I'll have to give it another shot.