Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Nitro or electric?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 08:24 PM
Frederik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro or electric?

Hey, i am totaly new to the RC scene, i've been wanting to get in to it for a long time, but i haven't really had the money/time. But i do now, so i need a truck, i'm mostly just gonna be using for playing around and maybe for some jumps. i have about $350, but i have no idea what truck i should go for, and Is there really that big of a difference between battery and nitro powered? And how much nitro does a nitro truck use? Which one is easiest to maintain?
I think thats about all the questions that i have for now
Old 10-29-2004, 09:12 PM
raykessler

Default RE: Nitro or electric?

what do you want?????
electric is easy matinance, very clean, but you need to charge the batteries to get run time
nitro is kinda dirty, and requires technical knowlage, but all you need to do to keep running is put some gas in the tank
and nitro is more fun

which would you prefer
Old 10-29-2004, 09:13 PM
raykessler

oh yah, use the search button you can probably find some info on what your asking for
Old 10-29-2004, 10:01 PM
camra88

Yes. do a search. You will find a plethora of electric vs nitro. There is alot more to them them you might think (differences i mean)
Old 10-29-2004, 10:20 PM
ils

The initial investment into buying an electric vehicle may be less than nitro but you have to take into consideration that you also need a few decent battery packs for the car/truck, and charger.
Nitro may cost more at first but it's more fun (to me anyway). Nitro usage is next to nothing. I have a T with the OS .18 engine and weights almost 10 pounds and I can run it a good 10 minutes (about 75 percent wide open) with an almost full 125 cc tank. Nitro cost on the average almost 20 dollars a gallon. You do the math.
But with any hobby, all this is just the initial cost. There are hop-ups that you may want to get and reserve parts that you may break.
If you have limited fund, have you considered something in the 1/18 scale? There are some out there that look pretty good in pictures, and videos.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:47 PM
smitty4
My Feedback: (4)

the losi mini-t it looks alright for a 1/18th scale...

it all depends on what you really want if you want more speed nitro is probly what your looking for... when you say matenience you make it sound like its a lot of work... it really isnt anything but spraying some wd-40 through the glow plug and air filter holes and washing the air filter...
Old 10-31-2004, 09:21 PM
Melancholy43920

...and tearing down and rebuilding the engine every 5-8 gallons, and fixing things that break, and inspecting the whole vehicle after every run to check for loose or missing screws or cracks, etc etc etc.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:11 PM
Squishycannibal

I am a fan of electric, a couple aspects of electrics are supperior, and then some aspects are not so great.
pros: easy to get running, all you have to do is keep everything mechanically, and electrically sound. quiet, nobody ever complained about the noise produced by electrics, a good electric car will make very little noise while, nitro's will always make plenty of noise, that can be heard a mile away unless muffled, and even then they are loud.
Cons: electrics are generally slower and heavier, thanks to the batteries, they also require several packs and a charger, to keep running, the car/truck for any period of time whithout going inside avery 15 minutes to recharge and wait 2 hours. electrics generally don't have the sheer raw speed of nitro vehicles.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:40 PM
05mustang

I have a t-maxx and its rocks. electrics are nice cause all you gotta do its charge the batts and your off, but ive had 2 electrics and each one was cool but i still wanted a nitro. A nitro can be easy to maintain if you have the patients and responsibility. even after you run a nitro dry there is still fuel in the motor and the alcohol in the fuel will corrode the piston and inside the carburetor. I just spray wd-40 inside the glow plug hole and the Carburetor and it keeps it clean. nitros can be picky, but if you tune them just right, there a blast. id get a nitro because there loud, there fast and really masculine
Old 11-15-2004, 09:29 PM
CRAZY BOUT RC

ok i'll give nitro one thing they do sound cool.But this is my falosify:E-Maxx speed of nitro,electric conveince.