Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

I want to race, aluminum or plastic????

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 03:43 PM
swolbrink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to race, aluminum or plastic????

I’m new to racing. I’m wondering if I should keep all the plastic components on my REVO? I wanted to reduce the weight as much as possible and plastic weighs less than aluminum doesn’t it? And, it’s more flexible and cheaper to replace. What would be some of the most important up grades when setting it up for racing? Any and all input is welcome.

I want a performer not a looker!
Old 10-30-2004, 04:57 PM
raykessler

Default RE: I want to race, aluminum or plastic????

you are correct sir

keep plastic where ever possible, also how new are you to RC, if your a seasoned basher, and know how to handle a truck, some graphite parts might be in order for racing, they are lighter and improve handling by making the truck stiffer, but if your new to the RC scenen altogether then just keep the plastic, its plenty light and iv heard the revo handles pretty good

have fun
Old 10-31-2004, 02:50 AM
psycooclimber

i would stay plastic and hace heard that many people use the P2 rockers.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:30 AM
R/C Madman
My Feedback: (1)

I don't think that there are any "good" aluminum parts out for the Revo anyway so, even if you wanted to go with some aluminum parts your out of luck. Notice I said "GOOD" aluminum parts not some cookie cutter copies of stock parts.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:53 PM
swolbrink

Thanks for all the input. I've been out of the sport for about ten years. We never had a track in my area and now we do. I'm looking forward to working on my REVO over the winter and racing it in the spring. I've been bashing for a month or so and haven't had any problems with the plastic. I want to have extra parts on hand and think plastic is the way to go for now. I must say I like the idea of graphite parts and will keep my eyes open. One other question, I've noticed that Proline "Bowtie" tires are popular with many racers, are there any alternative less pricey tire out there that preform as well?

I have an old Tamiya Frog and Bruiser. I can’t believe how far the technology has come. The REVO is an amazing piece of equipment!

Again, Thanks.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:36 PM
69 GTO

I agree with whats been said if you plan to race i'd hold off on a ton of aluminum parts for now. Insteed put a few bucks into some more race oriented parts such as a quality clutch set-up, forward only conversion, good bowtie tires and velocity wheels, ditch the 30wt shock oil and put some 50wt in them to tighten the truck up. Also take a look at the dirt set up specs traxxas has on their website, i know a few guys that copied that set up and said its pretty dialed for a med grip dirt track.

About the only aluminum i'd consider doing for now (which i did) is maybe the skids, they dont add to much weight and they help to stiffen up the chassis a bit more.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:38 PM
69 GTO

BTW got any pics of that bruiser? i'm a old RC'er from way back and loved that truck when it first came out...would like to see it if ya got a pic
Old 10-31-2004, 03:31 PM
swolbrink

Max, you said something that made me think. I normally don’t like showing pictures of my works in progress but I would like you opinion on something. I bought a REVO chassis off of e-bay and took approx. 2oz out of it buy drilling holes in it. I then removed the blue oxidization and am in the process of polishing it up. You said you would add aluminum skids and that they would stiffen up the chassis a bit more. I can’t tell by hand that I made the chassis more flexible by drilling the holes. Do you think I made a mistake or am wasting my time?

Remember I’m looking for performance not looks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25981.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	188569  
Old 10-31-2004, 03:37 PM
swolbrink

Here's my Bruiser. This heavy MT still works. I've had a lot of fun with it. It's not a looker or anything else for that matter, ha, ha.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60035.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	188574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97625.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	188575  
Old 10-31-2004, 03:38 PM
oatmealman
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

yes it's a good idea
Old 10-31-2004, 03:39 PM
69 GTO

swolbrink its really hard to say how thats gonna effect the strength of the chassis. I know back in the day alot of drag racers at the track (real cars) use to drill/cut holes in the frames ,supports of the cars to take some weight out of them and it did remove a bit of weight but then the guys that did it started to find cracked trans cases over time , due to the flexing of the frame.

I cant say for sure that would weaken the chassis enough to create any serious problems for you and it looks like you have put some time into it and did a good job but if you want my honest opinion i'd think the weight savings "might" be offset by the flex it "could" create.But theres only one way to find out.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:40 PM
69 GTO

Whoa! see you put the brusier pics up....VERY nice, i love that truck
Old 10-31-2004, 03:52 PM
swolbrink

Thanks for your advice I'll keep my eyes open for cracks. I think part of the fun with this sport is tinkering. The chassis was fairly cheap so the only thing I have to lose is my time. It should make through one season of racing, I hope.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:01 PM
69 GTO

Yeah give it a try and see if it does flex to the point of effecting the handling or cuasing any probs. If it does then you've your only out some time and maybe a few bucks but thats a small price to pay for a new idea. If it dosent then you may be on to somthing thats a winner or even just draw some cool stares at the least.

Thats the cool thing about this hobby theres always time to try new things out and see how they pan out for ya.