Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

new t maxx

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new t maxx

hey im new to nitro and i purchased a t maxx a few months ago i was wondering wat the best thing for the truck is the only added hop ups i have are a fail safe a tuned pipe and a billet head lock proline street tires and aluminum rims wat else should i add for speed and durability
Old 02-28-2005, 11:46 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: new t maxx

um get the biggest cooling head for your engine that will let you run it cooler and faster
Old 02-28-2005, 11:47 PM

Btw if you have the torque get a bigger clutch bell
Old 03-01-2005, 02:56 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Anything rpm you can get a set on
Old 03-01-2005, 02:58 AM
My Feedback: (1)

^^ oops i meant anything rpm you can get your hands on. I said set because i was thinking of a set of rpm arms but they fall under the category of anything rpm.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:35 AM
My Feedback: (18)

Yeah, get the RPM A-arms and shock towers. I would say rims too but you said you already got aluminum rims.

Id recomend a fuel tank guard, my tank has gotten broke twice!

If you think your going to be hiting alot of stuff, a set of a aluminum front bulkheads might be a good idea.

Also, get the robinson racing steel spur gear, its like 25 bucks or so but I guarentee it will save you money in the long run. When I first got my T-maxx I went though at least $15 worth of plastic spurs within the first month.

And get rid of the POS EZ starter.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:58 AM

jakjr...Just curious. What do you have against the EZ starter? Although I can say that the OWB does seem to have it moments!
Old 03-01-2005, 10:53 AM

what a bigger cooling head make u go faster?
Old 03-01-2005, 11:09 AM

What he means is a big cooling head keeps the the engine cooler which means you can lean out the fuel for more power.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:44 AM

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ur right!!
Old 03-01-2005, 02:40 PM

ORIGINAL: TheBadazz

What he means is a big cooling head keeps the the engine cooler which means you can lean out the fuel for more power.
This is the single most common misconception people have about oversized heads.

Take a minute and think on this; the engine gets its lubrication from the oil carried in the fuel. Not only does this oil lube the engine, it also plays a major role in cooling it. Leaning the fuel mixture is reducing the total volume of fuel, and the oil it contains.
Say for example you are running a temp of 250 with stock head and a HSN setting of 3 turns out and you replace the head with a larger one that drops your temp 25 degrees. If you now lean your engine a full turn to bring the temp back up to 250 with the larger head, you have just reduced your total oil volume by 1/3.

The idea behind oversized cooling heads (besides the "mine's bigger than yours" syndrome) is to allow you to run cooler at the same carb settings. This is a tuning aid that should only be used if the ambient air temp is so high you can't operate your engine with the stock head and keep the temps down.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:00 AM

I'll second everything FHM said. The oil in the fuel is a major factor in regards to cooling. Not only does the oil reduce friction, but it also carries away heat through heat absorbtion.

If the mixture is ran lean, then there is a good probability that most of the oil is burned off during combustion, -leaving very little oil to absorb and carry away heat from the engine.

One rule of thumb is that if the oil residue that drips from the pipe is brown and burnt, -then chances are the mixture is too lean (unless it's castor oil, since castor oil turns brown at relatively low temps). Most, (if not all) of the fuel for car engines is pure synthetic, and if it's brown, it ain't good.

Old 03-02-2005, 01:25 AM
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: kneedragger713

jakjr...Just curious. What do you have against the EZ starter? Although I can say that the OWB does seem to have it moments!

Well first of all it adds about a half a pound of dead weight to your car, and mine has never worked worth a crap.

The glow plug part didnt seem to get the plug hot enough. The remote would never run the motor for more than 5 seconds before it thought the engine was flooded, and the little connector pins inside the remote kept getting pushed back up into the remote causing them to loose connection.

I ende up stripping out the EZ starters wiring (on the car) and just soldered a deans pigtail to the EZ-starters motor. I hook up one of my battery packs straight to the motor and stick my glow plug heater on. It works good, but once the engine is running youve still got like a half a pound of dead weight on the car.

I have yet to replace mine as I hardly ever use my T-maxx anyways, but within a week or two Im going to switch it out for either something like the rotostart, or a good ol' pull starter.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:49 AM

well if you tune your engine to super lean setings then yeah its going to kill your compresion but when you lean it just a little and when the engine is hot with the sleve expanded then you should have less frictions whitch means not that much wear and tear on your engine but yeah a cooling head will help you out no matter what even if your not going to run it lean think about hot summer days where its realy hard to keep the engine cool.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:29 PM

ORIGINAL: jakjr
Fair enough. I would have to say if i had those problems with my EZ start, I would feel the same way.

ORIGINAL: kneedragger713

Well first of all it adds about a half a pound of dead weight to your car, and mine has never worked worth a crap.

The glow plug part didnt seem to get the plug hot enough. The remote would never run the motor for more than 5 seconds before it thought the engine was flooded, and the little connector pins inside the remote kept getting pushed back up into the remote causing them to loose connection.

I ende up stripping out the EZ starters wiring (on the car) and just soldered a deans pigtail to the EZ-starters motor. I hook up one of my battery packs straight to the motor and stick my glow plug heater on. It works good, but once the engine is running youve still got like a half a pound of dead weight on the car.

I have yet to replace mine as I hardly ever use my T-maxx anyways, but within a week or two Im going to switch it out for either something like the rotostart, or a good ol' pull starter.