Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Good Bye Maxx Hello Savage .25

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 06:00 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Bye Maxx Hello Savage .25

Im seriously thinking about buying a Savage .25

im just having way to many problems with this maxx what can I say im a basher..I ran my maxx today after fixing the throttle(it tends to get stuck) then gotside perfect runnig added more fuel and then it happen full speedin to a parked car(the truck went under it and hit the other side of the wheel and snap the shock tower and half along with the anteea that ripped right out..before that I ripped a driveshaft into pieces along with the diff and a tranny driveshaft and before that I went thru 2 servos and I have to buy a 24 pack of batteries a week....I had to invested over 1200 dollars
Old 03-02-2005, 06:13 PM
My Feedback: (-1)

Default RE: Good Bye Maxx Hello Savage .25

well, to start off, running into a parked car is gonna break any truck...
getting a savage wont make a difference. If you have over 1200 invested, why sell and lose $1,000?
Id keep the maxx, they are good trucks if you dont hit stuff
Old 03-02-2005, 07:24 PM

That 1200 is in stock parts keep it running nothing fancially
Old 03-02-2005, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats funny my buddy went thru (2) Savages and just bought a Revo because HE was tired of all the problems. LOL
Old 03-02-2005, 07:43 PM

Not to bash or anything but I work with a guy that bought a Rush & A T Maxx but kicks himself because he'd still rather have a Savage. Maxxes are cool trucks but they're overpowered for their weight. It's way too easy to get them going fast enough to launch insanely high or hit stationary objects at high speed. I've had my Savage long enough to safely say it's hard to go wrong with one. I've had my Revo since Christmas & haven't been able to do any serious bashing with it but from the beefed landings it has experienced & the cartwheels it's done I'm able to guess that it's a strong truck. I'm sure I'll know more when spring rolls around.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's way too easy to get them going fast enough to launch insanely high or hit stationary objects at high speed. I've had my Savage long enough to safely say it's hard to go wrong with one.
So your saying the Savage is "slow" and your "used to it" right?

I do not know about his trucks. I do know he got tried of watching the other 3 of us (with Maxx's) driving circles around around him while he was trying to start to start it (again) or fiddling with the tune. That thing never stayed running and it seemed to be broken all the time. Granted... I have no idea how he drove it or took care of it when I was not watching.

I believe it comes down to the "driver and maintenance" myself regardless of the particular product.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:28 PM

I dont know how to do after I fix these parts im going to see how long before it breaks again..But I think its time for something new
Old 03-02-2005, 08:43 PM
My Feedback: (2)

He is right you know, they don't make a truck that can handle full throttle impacts with dense unmoving objects. Run any model into a brick wall, car, post ot tree at WOT and you can expect to break things on occassion, unless you are driving one of those radioshack RC's that tops out at 5 MPH. I have yet to break anything on my t-maxx that was not a result over being over adventurous, bad driving, bad judgement, or poor depth perception. I've sent my maxx into cartwheels at 30+ mph and watched it tumble 20 foot before slamming into a curb, only to be flipped back over, restarted and drive away.

Keep the maxx and try running at less than full throttle. The nice things about these trucks is that they are like real vehicles in that they are capable of speeds that are realtively unsafe for most conditions, the trick is in learning how to push your vehicle right to those limits on any terrain without pushing too far and loosing control. You lose control at high speeds and there will occassionally be a cost. Think of it as natural selection applied to R/C, adapt or be overcome.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:47 PM

EXACTLY! i have a sportmaxx, i break parts because im stupid sometimes. Me and my friend decided to jump mine off my roof, suprisingly no broken parts! I did strip the spur gear 3 times this week, i didnt have my throttle trim right, somehow the brake kept sticking. But ive learned alot, trust me

Also, if you feel that parts are breaking for no reason... 1-800-TRAXXAS
Toll free, and theyll be happy to replace any part that broke for no reason. (Although i dont think that hitting a parked car at 40 MPH is covered )
Old 03-03-2005, 12:10 AM

I saw the light and bought a savage ss, its way better than my maxx
Old 03-03-2005, 12:49 AM

I guess its all opinions, but there is one fact.. RUN ANY TRUCK INTO A FULL SIZE VEHICLE AT WIDE OPEN THROTTLE YOU WILL GET A BROKEN PART.
The rest is opinion lol
Old 03-03-2005, 12:58 PM

Ye a I guess hmm but im a 16 kid my whole life is bad judgements but I have learned alot over these past 3 1/2 years of R/Cing
Old 03-03-2005, 01:08 PM
My Feedback: (2)

on the throttle issue:
check your linkages and try to figure out why it it sticking. It could be that the carb needs to be rotated in the block a bit, they need to be on a slight angle for the slide to function properly. Also check to be sure it isn't the servo.

You should condsider adding a strong throttle return spring and a failsafe, but if it is the carb slide sticking niether the spring or failsafe will do any good. First you need to figure out why it is sticking and fix the problem, then add a good throttle return spring and a failsafe and you will only hit things because of bad driving in the future rather than bad luck.

Old 03-03-2005, 01:27 PM

thanks for the help tommy I got to find a ride to the LHS and pick a few things and now I notie I have bent 2 fins on the cooling head
Old 03-03-2005, 03:20 PM

I've had a Savage and an E-Maxx. E-maxx parts aren't quite so resilient but they sure are a lot easier to get hold of here. Plenty of hop-ups too. The fords of the r/c world [8D]

Why keep spending all that money on stock parts? I'm sorry, but running in to a parked car is most definitely your fault, not the trucks. If I crash my car I don't wonder why it's all crumpled, the fault is mine. If you keep breaking stock bits, buy RPM plastics and try improving your truck rather than maintaining the status quo. There are some parts on the standard maxxes that can't take ABUSE, but it's a lot easier to make it virtually bomb-proof than it is with many other trucks.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:43 PM

ihave both a basically stock savage 25 & a full tilt way expensive converted t-maxx so ill try not to be biased here.The savage is definately the better basher in my opinion.It hasnt broken anywhere as much as the maxx did when it was as stock as the savage is.The hpi engine starts & runs flawlessly when compared to the stock 2.5 engine which i found to be very tempermental .My maxx is a boatload of fun but i have put in an xtm 21 conversion kit with hpi 25 engine,big bore shocks &trinity springs,supermaxx forward only conversion,high torque steering servo etc,etc ,etc.In all i put enough cash into my maxx to buy 2 maybe 3 savages.It is way more fun now than ever but the only thing that still says traxxas on it is the radio box,trans housing& diffs.The maxx is way sick faster than my savage is but i set the maxx up for road racing & as it sits will smoke most touring cars & all trucks ive come up against so far..
Old 03-03-2005, 11:17 PM

The Maxx series is great. Theres a reason for the t-maxx AND e-maxx being the best trucks 3 or 4 years running. i absolutely love my sportmaxx, even with the TRX 2.5
The mach .26 is probably the best engine ive ever drove with..
my rustler has a TRX .15, im gonna drop my other trx 15 in there with it, got everything setup just waiting to drop the other trx .15 in.
Overall i think traxxas is better but ya check your throttle linkages those tend to stick alot, but some WD 40 will fix that.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:06 AM

I just gotta say one thing i purchased a Savage .25 last summer ,and they are horrible when it comes to tuning , and handling. I have a new Revo now ,and it rapes my Savage/dust collector ). Traxxas for Life)
Old 03-05-2005, 01:05 PM

dude buy the savage u will love it and its stout but it will break if u run it into autos keep the maxx too though its great to have the best of both worlds bye the way the savy servos are junk also....