Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Tuning Question & Bragging

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 11:37 AM
Afterburn1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning Question & Bragging

What is the ideal running temp for the 2.5R motor that is stock on a revo. I think I remember seeing somewhere that the temp should be 240/250 range???

I bought a Wasp .28 to shove into my revo yesterday.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:14 PM
aznherb36

Default RE: Tuning Question & Bragging

ya, they say no more than like 250 and lows of around 210
Old 03-20-2005, 07:33 PM
Savage_Dias

A well maintained 2.5 can run close to 300 consistently with no problems. Mine is a dog below 250 but it screams & still has a strong smoke tail if I lean it out just a touch.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:37 AM
ratman572

The problem with running the 2.5 at the recommended temp range is that in order to get it to run that cool, it is so fat with fuel, it ain't happy.

Just about everyone I know that has had any sucess with the little cursed 2.5 have put their IR guns away and just tuned the engine so that it was happy. Yes, they do get hot, but that is just the way they are.

With the quality oil that is in the fuel these days, I wouldn't worry unless it goes over 280-300F.

Just my .02
Old 03-21-2005, 09:30 AM
Afterburn1

Well, here is the problem a little more specifically, I get up and go off the line like a champ. Take off flying down the street, actually was beating a buddies rustler at this point. As soon as my Revo shifted into second the engine bogged down and the rustler was gone. Also, every once in a while, not all the time just basically whenever it feels like it, if you give it full throttle, it bogs down, bad, will die if you hold it, it does this at low speed, and high speed. I know that I am running rich because I have unburnt fuel all over my back bumper, so I go to lean it out, and the cutting out and bogging becomes worse, so I richen it up, same thing, gets worse. I left it where it was the other day and went out with some buddies, the cutting out is annoying but with how testy it has been the other times I've tried adjusting it I just leave it alone, it ran good, good off the line, nice high speed, I was cutting cookies in the driveway so I had good throttle response but when I hit second gear at full throttle the motor would bog. I checked my temp a couple times throughtout the evening, I ran at a solid 270 for the first 2 hours, I started getting up towards 290-300 after about 3 hours. That's when I shut it down and left it alone.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:51 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

It sounds like what you are describing is "flame-out" which is caused by running excessively lean at WOT. I had the same problem before, and no ammount of tuning would fix it, it turned out that I had debris in my HSN which limited the peak fuel flow.

First try richening your highspeed needle 1/4 turn and see if it fixes it. If not, try another 1/4 turn. If that still doesn't fix it, you need to check your fuel tank, lines and carb for obstructions and leaks. Also check the engine for leaks. When your engine dies like that at WOT it is very bad, as it means your engine is lean at high RPMs, which will cause excessive wear.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:51 PM
c_thomas01

The Cat is right about the needle settings. Toss that ir gun u dont need it. As long as your leavin a trail of smoke your good. It should blubber a bit at idle but thats about it. Start your motor and then pinch the fuel line off. If the motor revs a bit and dies your good. If it revs way up and takes more than five or six seconds to die your too rich...Seriosly pitch the ir gun
Old 03-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Afterburn1

Just wanted to give a bit of an update. Cat you were right. I was a full 3/4 lean, I didn't think that was it as I wasn't having any real overheating issues. Thanks for the help, I was at a loss. Has anyone else noticed how well the revo handles in the air? I didn't really do much research before I bought mine, a buddy has an LST, another a TMAXX, and I wanted something differant to run, thus the revo. After the fact the guy with the TMAXX was telling me that in a shoot-out the revo handled better than anything else in the air, I would have to agree, there were a few times I went up and was allllllll out of shape, one of the ones you just leave the throttle alone and hope you land in a forgiving manner lol, low and behold the revo actually twisted itself str8 again and landed like I had dropped it from two feet off the ground. I have read a lot about ppl bashing the revo or anything that isn't an LST, I'm here to tell ya, I bash, I race, and I jump as high as I can get this bad motha to go, and I haven't broke anything, and I am ALWAYS, competitve, all the adjustments made are all explained in the manual you just have to read it. Now, here's a lil info for ya. A two block race, A nitro RUSTLER, a TMAXX, an LST, and a REVO, which one wins? The revo, I dusted everyone off the line and didn't really show any more advantage over the rest the rest of the race but getting off the line was the differance. I jump my driveway when the lst and rustler do endos and roll overs. I just wanted to express my thoughts on this machine. Thanks again for the help, I'm runnin like a raped ape now! :P[>:][8D][:-][X(]