Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

Picco P2 Owners, are your motors hard to start when cold?

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Picco P2 Owners, are your motors hard to start when cold?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 12:16 AM
Dr. Krass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picco P2 Owners, are your motors hard to start when cold?

My P2 is an absolute b!tch to start when it is cold (40-60F). It will fire up like it's going to start, but never for more than a second or 2. I've tried priming it alot, and a little, and everything in between, and I've tried giving it some throttle trim as well... nothing seems to work. Pretty much the only way I can start it when it's cold, is get lucky and have it start right away (no clue), or use a blow dryer to get it up to about 150F and then it always starts in 10 pulls or so. Is this normal or what? Never had a nitro motor that absolutely required to be warmed up before it'd start.

Don't get me wrong, this engine is the most fun I've had with any RC yet (haven't run the RC10GT yet though [8D]) and the P2 hauls ***** like no other... the P2 runs like a dream once it starts, always staying in the 200-270F range and never stalling. And when I go to start it after it's been running and still above 100F or so, it'll start on the first or second pull every time. I have about a gallon run through it. Is it normal for it to require warming prior to starting? Again, I only have this problem when the engine is cold and the head temp is 40-60F.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:00 AM
MAXXacceleration

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Picco P2 Owners, are your motors hard to start when cold?

Mine has always started pretty easy, Dr. K. It did start a little hard after sitting from mid Dec to the first of March, but not really bad at all. The P2's are peculiar motors though.
I've had various problems with mine over time(initial air leak recall and now a blowing front bearing hurting it holding a tune), so I'll pitch it for a OS soon(I have three gals. on my P2).
Just a finicky motor that makes a 2.5 look easy to me, IMO.
If you look at the general trend in every forum on the P2, its a PITA for many...

Actually, now that I think of it, I was leaning a 1/4 turn for easier startup, then richening 1/4 when up to temp(it was blubery cold and would lean out when up to temp).
Good luck.