Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

O.S. 18TM starting problems...need help....

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 02:19 AM
Pasia007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S. 18TM starting problems...need help....

Hi all, I have an O.S. 18TM engine in my T-Maxx. I can't seem to get it to start. It keeps locking up on me. I've already gone through two full batteries on my easy-start. It did turn the very first time I try to sart it but after 5 seconds it stalled and can't get it to start again cuz it keeps locking up. I'm trying break it in but I can't if it won't start. Any help that you guys can give me would be very cool. Thank You.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:12 AM
BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: O.S. 18TM starting problems...need help....

Take your glow plug wire off.
Remove the glowplug and disconnect the fuel line and turn your engine over until the fuel is out of the carb
Reverse that procedure and attempt to fire it again.

If no luck lean your hsn about 1/16 of a turn and give it 1/2 throttle when startup and hold it about 1 quarter of throttle until it warms up and will continuiosly run.

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN

*EDIT* if it doenst start check your glow plug. Blow on it, if it goes out then its dead. It should glow bright orangie red.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:46 AM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How cold is it there? If it is < 40 and a brand new motor you may want to hit it with a hair dryer for a minute or two then start it. Also bring it inside during the first 2 "cool down cycles".

Maybe I was lucky but... the only thing I had to do is lean my TM out starting on the 3rd tank. I have made no other adjustments.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:42 PM
ratman572

On a brand-spankin' new motor, it is sometimes beneficial to warm the motor up a bit with a hair dryer or a heat gun prior to starting it up for the first time.

One other thing that will pay off in big dividends is to ditch the glow-ignitor wire on the cheezy-start and go with a Ni-Starter instead.

You can still spin the motor with the cheezy-start, but the extra heat you'll get to the plug by using a Ni-Starter will make for much easier starting.

Sometimes on a brand new motor, I've even gone as far as loosening the plug and putting the Ni-Starter on the plug while it's loose (using the ni-starter to adjust the glow plug in the head). This sometimes makes the first start-up go a little easier. Once the engine gets a little heat in it, remove the ni-starter and tighten the plug with a standard plug-wrench (while it's running).
Using this method sort of acts like a compression release. You don't want to back it out too far, -about one turn is usually all it takes. Once the fire is lit, tighten it back in all the way, then put the wrench on it and snug it up.

Have fun with that .18, they are a nice running motor.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:29 PM
SoCal_R3VO
My Feedback: (1)

also check your throttle position, they say its a direct drop in, but i had to make minor adjustments to my throttle linkage to get my Tm to stay running.

and its a screaming motor once started