Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Non-engaging tranny

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 01:18 PM
shawnre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-engaging tranny

Finally, spring time. Time to break out the trucks and buggies. Anyhow, my son's Tmaxx engine died last year, got a new one and put it on, started breakin it in, however, after being stored, the transmission is not engagin' now. Took it apart once already, first time I have ever done that, just wanted to see if one of the gears was stripped or something. All the teeth on each gear seems fine, none broken or worn, but still no drive. The forward and reverse selector has no affect on it, just no engagement. Any ideas on this?
Old 03-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Afterburn1
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Non-engaging tranny

Is it fully engageing the forward or reverse? A buddies did the same thing and the servo wasn't getting it alllllll the way into forward.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:32 PM
shawnre

Yes it is fully engagin forward and reverse, just get no movement at all. I am workin on break-in of the new engine. Idled the first tank, started on the second tank, at which point I pull quarter throttle, which I should get some movement, even a jerk or something, but nothing. Dont want to continue the break-in cause I read somewhere once that running the engine without getting a load or something, could be detremental to the engine.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:36 PM
Afterburn1

That is right. Have you check the clutch shoes or the inside of the bell. There may be some oil, fuel, whatever on the inside that may be causing the slippage.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:38 PM
shawnre

Correct, I did check that, forgot to mention it. Shoes are in fine shape, brand new also, stock shoes. No oil debris of any kind.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Afterburn1

are the brakes engaged? and what moves and what doesnt when u give it throttle.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:47 PM
shawnre

Brakes are not engaged. Apply throttle, linkage pulls, opens carb, bell is of course spinning, which propels the spur gear. By the way, checked the slipper pegs too, they are fine. Everything appears to be working correctly, just no movement. The gears inside the tranny are fine like i said. Dont know the names of the gears in the tranny, but, i have read and searched the forums, somewhere I think I read something about a piece getting locked onto one of the gears in there. Wish I could be more specific, but, as I said, not sure of the part names for the gears. In other words, I dont wanna get on ebay and buy a whole new transmission if it is just one gear in there that is messing up, if you can follow what I just said, lol, kinda like sayin "What's that guy's name that played in that one movie that one year" LOL
Old 03-22-2005, 03:53 PM
Afterburn1

lmao, I follow ya. Have you called traxxas? They got the best customer support out of everyone. I'm sure they would be able to tell you what it is. I just say this as I have been tryin to help you remember the obvious stuff. I got a revo. I had a similar problem with a duratrax axis that I had. The mount had actually melted to the gear cuz of friction. then another time I gave it gas, no go, took the center diff apart, looked inside, closed it back up, worked for a while and quit again. I dunno man. Let us know what you find. Sorry couldn't be more help.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:59 PM
shawnre

Yeah, may end up calling traxxas. Probably let this sit here for a day or so, gotta get my LST up and running too, lol. Was thinkin of getting a Revo myself. Couple friends have one, they seem to be a little tougher than the LST, less suseptable to breaking things, lol. Thanks for your help though.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:12 PM
Afterburn1

Not a problem, if your looking for an opinion on the revo I put in my two cents at the end of my Tuning Question & Bragging thread.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:15 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

did you check the forward/reverse clutchs in the tranny. There is a 2 sided clutchbell in the tranny (black hub little circles in it, and a peg through either side of the hub) Check the clutchs that insert into it. They are not really typical cent clutches, they actually swing out and engage against the pegs through either side of the hub rather than counting on friction against the bell to engage. If for some reason those shoes aren't swinging out, you will get what you are describing. Also check to be sure that the forward/reverse shifting shaft is sliding the bell over the appropriate clutch when you shift from forward to reverse. It is possible to get stuck between forward and reverse.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:50 PM
shawnre

Ok, have the tranny back apart again. The two clutches, one gold and one black, I believe is what you are talking about tommy. They are not stuck as far as I can tell. If I push against the swinging side, they pop out. As far as the shifting shaft, hard to see in there when assembled, but appears to be working correctly.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:25 PM
payaso

I just had a similar problem with the tranny in my Revo.. Wouldn't engage for didly squat.

Turned out to be the OWB one way bearing in the tranny on the 2 speed set up.. one bearing can make the whole deal crap out, and it's a $26 dollar bearing...

Check that, and while you got it torn apart, toss a FOC in there, and it will get rid of the tranny chatter in the Maxx at low speeds.

silla
Old 03-23-2005, 06:12 PM
shawnre

Ok, had it all apart, everything looked fine. The clutches and all that, the arm on the black thingy, put it back together and started it up, and once again, no movement, no forward, no reverse, punched the throttle once real quick, since engine is not broken in yet. Tranny grabbed for a second, then stopped, any more ideas?
Old 03-23-2005, 06:23 PM
tommythecat

You can check the one-way in the tranny by removing the 2-speed shaft and trying to rotate the gears on it. They should spin freely one direction but lock up solidly in the other direction.

Old 03-23-2005, 06:31 PM
shawnre

by the 2 speed shaft, are you referring to the gear with the gold and black clutches, and the black thing with the circles in it?
Old 03-23-2005, 06:57 PM
tommythecat

Nope, that is the forward reverse shifting cluster. The 2 speed gear cluster is the other long shaft with a cluster of gears on it.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:40 PM
shawnre

ok, after 3 calls to Traxxas, and all the input I received here, turns out, simple enough, not the tranny at all. It is the clutch shoes behind the bell. Simple test was just this, hold the spur gear with a something between your hand and the gear obviously. Add throttle to see if the shoes are engaging behind the bell, something I was actually asked about way earlier in this thread. Well, upon inspection behind the bell, the shoes and springs appeared fine. No broken springs, shoes are good shape, if I remember correctly, they are brand new, certainly look new. Anyhow, that brings up one last question, any shoes and springs better than others??? Last longer or whatever?
Old 03-24-2005, 08:56 AM
Afterburn1

<won't say anything about that one response by that one guy way up there somewhere in some thread.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:30 PM
shawnre

ummmm, what response, by what guy, in what thread, lol. Yeppers, you hit it on the nail, but the visual showed me nothing wrong, shoes spring everything looked fine, but they are not engaging on the bell. Wish that one person would have told me how to test the shoes, lmao. Thanks for your help though, at least I know now how to test it. Still wondering if there is a better shoe out there, did some lookin around, but, only thing I found was something that cost like $89, think thats a little costly.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:40 PM
Afterburn1

The easiest way to check is to just hold the bell with your finger. See what happens. Check ebay may there is a lllllllllllllloooooooootttt of stuff on there for tmaxx's