Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

7 cell batteries on a emaxx....good or bad idea??

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

7 cell batteries on a emaxx....good or bad idea??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 07:48 AM
blueb8llz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7 cell batteries on a emaxx....good or bad idea??

hi there, i have a very important question. i really want to get 7 cells on my stock emaxx but i have heard good and bad things about it. i was hoping i could get some info from ppl with own experience or good knowledge if i should run 7 cells or not. i really do want the extra torque and speed..but someone told me that when they ran 7cells it fryed their titans five times!
did this happen to alot of you guys...or did he just have a bad experience. im not really planning to bash and press full throttle too much...just here and there. please help. all input and opinions allowed.

thanks
Old 03-23-2005, 11:01 AM
tndiverdown

Default RE: 7 cell batteries on a emaxx....good or bad idea??

I've never ran mine on 14 cells. The EVX and Titans gets pretty toasty on just 12. That's why I haven't done it. I don't wan't to risk smoking my controller and my old motors like so many have.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:06 AM
Davis01

i have heard that it is alrite as long as you dont run them consistently like one set after another give them a chance to cool down....if you do that they should last a while
Old 03-23-2005, 02:40 PM
allen0622

The EVX can supposedly handle it according to Traxxas, but I wouldn't do it... again that is. The motor was old but here's a pic of the aftermath, there was also some bubbling and smoke coming from one of my new $99(pair) 3300mah battery packs. The motor actually unwound. This was one of those Trinity motors can't remember which one, 13 or 17 turn it was like a $70 each, that could more than handle the power, but everything just got so hot, battereies motor...everything. I sold the truck after this pretty much.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37046.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	248019  
Old 03-23-2005, 06:55 PM
blueb8llz

hmmm...i still havnet had enuff responses to make me sway one way. i guess its becuase i want the 7 cells and traxxas says i can do it as long as im not running them consistently pack after pack which i was not gonna do. can i get a few more opinions from you guys.... still confused i just dont want to mess up my esc and motors.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:52 PM
camra88

First off, let me say that the stock motors are by far more durable then those trinity motors allen used. and FYI, those 17t motors are only really meant for 10 cells FYI. Why trinity marked them being able to be run in the emaxx floors me. Oh well, they gotta stay in business somehow, right? And your batteries bubble, has nothing todo with running 7cells... obviously the motors was messed up, puting a huge load on itself, the EVX and obviously the batteries.

Me, i am running generic titans (6-12v motors from allelectronics.com) which are less pwoerful then the titans, but i still have a blast tearing up everything with 14 cells. My titans lasted me at least a year on 7 cell sanyo 2400's. And that was with stock gearing. I just checked the temps every now and again during my run, and when things started overheating, i turned it off and let it cool down. And running battery packs back to back is a bad idea unless you have it geared for power so nothing gets more then warm. If you run good 6-cell batteries such as matched gp3300's, the emaxx can be fun, but usually it gets boring quickly. When you run 7 cell battery packs tho, its just a blast. It is just amazing what 2 little batteries will do!

It is recommend that you gear down to 17 or 16 tooth pinions on the motors when running 7 cells to prevent overheating. Probably a good idea, but i love the insane speed i got with 18t pinions, and since i always checked the temps, nothing ever fried.

Also, in order to see the benefits of 7 cell battery packs, it is imparitive that you use name-brand cells such as Sanyo ans GP. Other cells are just junk. Others will argue, but it has been proven so many times that those cheap battery packs (the ones that cost $15 for a 3000 mAh battery, etc) barely last very long in the emaxx. Also, the 7cells give you an insane increase in power. Its not even funny. Why? because if you have a lead finger, you will be breaking drive-train parts every time you go out. LOL. Just make sure your slipper clutch is turned out 1/8 - 1/4 of a turn to help prevent any drivetrain damage.

Old 03-24-2005, 05:16 AM
blueb8llz

whelps...7 cells it is! thanks fellas i appreciate your input.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:31 AM
Elmo6s
My Feedback: (1)

Blue,
I guess that means you want two e-maxx packs lol... PM me... I can't get to my e-mail at the moment.
Alex
Old 03-25-2005, 06:01 PM
blueb8llz

hay elmo, yea i did email you ..i didnt know your email wasnt working..but i just gave you a pm also saying i want the 7 cells now. one problem tho. i need those batteries compatiable with my pro3. yes im a cheapo. batteries for 2 cars...heheh

thanks again
Old 03-25-2005, 10:36 PM
blueb8llz

hay elmo...i think i found the answer...i think you can assemble my 7 cell like how 45mphpede for his stampede. i think this way it should fit my emaxx and my pro3. you can see his picture on the r/c electric car, trucks ,buggies section and the post is "electric mt". tell me how much it would cost for two of these batteries..shoot me an email.