Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

BL EMAXX GEARING

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 09:02 AM
aknitroguy
My Feedback: (82)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BL EMAXX GEARING

Hi,
I am building a brushless emaxx and I need some advice on gearing... I am running a 9L motor using 14 gp3300 cells. I have a hardened 16 tooth pinion and an RRP 65 tooth hardened spur/slipper. As near as I can figure my gear ratio(s) with this gearing are:
1st gear: 30.04 final drive.
2nd gear 19.89 final drive.
This truck is built for the track, Mostly high speeds.. No bashing or grass, crawling ect.. Is this gearing good for my application? This is my first brushless system and I think it should work but need some opinions. I thank you kindly in advance.
Jay
Old 03-28-2005, 12:04 PM
camra88

Default RE: BL EMAXX GEARING

That gearing sounds just tad high for bashing. while running/racing your emaxx with that rear ratio, check the motor and esc temp every now and again to make sure nothing is over heating. the motor shouldnt get hotter then 170 F otherwise you risk weakening the magnet inside.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:23 PM
hotchi1

what is the stock gearing? cause i use to run 30 toooth in my xxxs on road.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:18 PM
camra88

Stock gearing is 18/66. with the 9l on 14 cells, it is recommended to run 16/70 gearing for a good in-between for offroad bashing and onroad speed. I have yet to run my 9l on that gearing, i am still waiting for it in the mail [&o]

I'm no expert at brushless, but i have been doing alot of homework on it... hopefully my gearing will run great
Old 03-29-2005, 03:40 PM
aknitroguy
My Feedback: (82)

You have the same set up as me.. Have you had good luck with your 9918? I haven't run mine yet, but I have read horror stories and was hoping that it worked for someone. Do you run an RX pack? and if so do you have the bec disabled? The manual says that you can run it or not (using 14 cells) I have a koolflight universal bec, I think I will disable the controller bec cuircut. Have you had any problems with cogging? Thank you kindly for the gearing input, I will keep an eye on the temp. and lower it if I need to.
Take care,
Jay
Old 03-29-2005, 04:23 PM
tndiverdown

I run a 10L/Warrior 9918 combo on 14 GP3300s and have not experienced any cogging. I did disable the BEC and I am running a 6V hump pack connected directly to my Rx. As for gearing, 16T would be a good place to start. You will find there is more than enough torque to run stock gearing or even higher if you want. I am running the stock 18T on my setup and am happy with it. I have tons of top speed and enough off-the-line to almost do a complete 360 degree backflip if I nail it. It will also lift the front end with just a blip of throttle at just about any speed.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:25 PM
tndiverdown

double post.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:29 PM
preston777

only one way to find what will work good for that motor. and thats to go and test your truck at a track.