Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

High temps with os 18 cv-rx

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 06:02 AM
BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High temps with os 18 cv-rx

Hey all i am in need of your help once again. Ok well i cant work it out my os engine is awesome great power and well what i would say tuned well but and im no beginner. It is running hot enough to burn up a drop of water on the engine head in 2 seconds and that is not good and quite hot for a os. Also it isnt running lean because white grey smoke is pouring out the exhaust pipe with oil aswell. I do have a bent cooling fin and im guessing this is the cause of my problems? or is it something else
Old 04-01-2005, 06:04 AM
BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX

Default RE: High temps with os 18 cv-rx

woops i dont know how i did it but i quoted myself. Sorry
Old 04-01-2005, 06:29 AM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

if it's not lean... DON"T WORRY ABOUT IT! really if your not lean then your temps are due to poor cooling... lack of air flow or poor head sink... the CV-RX has a good head sink so it's not that. now you say you have lot's of smoke... well smoke is good BUT don't just go by smoke... it's a good sign but it really tells you nothing about being lean or not... I've seen engines running lean produce a good smoke trail. you say you have oil pouring out of the pipe... are you sure it's just oil? I ask because car fuels typically don't have a high enough oil content to do this unlike airplane fuels... it may be unburnt fuel and oil your seeing. The bent fin is nothing to worry about.. if it were broken off then maybe. IIRC you just rebuilt this engine... make SURE you don't have an airleak... that would explain the temps and tell you your in fact running LEAN.

John
Old 04-01-2005, 08:14 AM
hotchi1

get a temp gun and get us some exact readings. mine runs good at 210 to 270 and it is allways diffrernt on diff days but i donot tune it agin cause it always has the same power. also it might be a colling isue ^^^^^^cause i whent down to a park by the beach with 30-50 mph winds and my temps never broke 200 it was also flippin the truck on its back
Old 04-01-2005, 04:52 PM
BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX

Ok. Thats good i dont have to b uy a 60 dollar head. I will replace my fuel line becuase one has a bit melted off it from a previous 2.5 that i ran and i suspect taht this might bethe cause. I dont really want to get a temp gun because there is alot more i gotta get and everything is expensive in australia a temp gun would be 40 dollars or more. And i have to get a set of new tires and rims. Hmm i wonder why my os doesnt flip my t-maxx it has awesome power but just not enough to wheelie it. And now my one way bearing is slipping and i cant clean it or anything becuase if i take the pulstart off it wil wreck it.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:34 AM
BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX

Anyone know if i can take my pullstart off without the spring flying out and wrecking the p/s system. I need to know this because i need to perform some normal maintenance on my one way bearing because its slipping. In the traxxaas forum there is talk of people buying a conversion for a e-z os 18 cv-rx they say one exists has anyone seen it around or is using it.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:49 AM
jsn

you really don't need a temp gun... it's a nice toy to have BUT tuning by ear is a much better way to keep your engine healthy... trouble is the learning curve will likely cost you an engine or two before you get the hang of it just like tuning to temp will your pull start won't just fly apart when you pull it off... don't worry about it, pull it, clean your one way with some brake cleaner then lube it with some ATF or marvel mystery oil and put it back together. you can get EZ start back plates for most OS engines.... damed if I can remember where I've seen them though.

John
Old 04-02-2005, 04:02 AM
BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX

Are you sure my manual says never to disassemble the recoil unit as it will wreck it and i have tanken apart engines and the pullstart has been wrecked. Yea i agree i usually tune by performance and sound ive had about 4 diff engines so im not really a newb.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:59 AM
jsn

what they mean is don't pull apart the pull start unless you know what your doing...rewinding them is a PIA!. removing the pull start from the engine as a unit is no problem... I just removed the pull starts from 2 of my CV-RX'S to make sure...it's been a long time since I've had to pull one... nothing happened just loosen the 4 screws remove the ENTIRE UNIT then pull your one way for cleaning.

John
Old 04-02-2005, 05:26 AM
BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX

Aight man thanks for all your help. Ill work on my whole maxx tomorow, i got some cleaning and loctighting to do.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:45 AM
lateapex

ORIGINAL: BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX

Are you sure my manual says never to disassemble the recoil unit as it will wreck it and i have tanken apart engines and the pullstart has been wrecked. Yea i agree i usually tune by performance and sound ive had about 4 diff engines so im not really a newb.
LOL! dude, the manual only says that so you'll buy a new pullstart from them instead of just servicing it. All you have to do is make sure the spring doesn't go flying when you take the case off.

don't believe everything you read...
Old 04-03-2005, 02:51 AM
BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX

Oh ok. Stupid o.s make me scared . Thanks guys i cleaned my whole maxx today and cleaned the owb it doesnt seem to slip. On a close inspection of my truck i found that my clutch spring has been broken off and lost, so i will order most probably some aluminum shoes sometime soon with a new set of tires and then slap on my custom body and roll cage on the way! Wooo i cant wait.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:06 AM
hotchi1

my one way is just starting to slip. only when i first start up tho as soon as i get warm i shut it off and it starts fine i dont even have to turn it over hardly just pullstarter till it pops then there we go. it should pull wheelies .where are u runnin ? dirt grass?i run myne on grass and it will flip it.lean the lsn 1/8 of a turn. is ur high end tuned realy good?
Old 04-03-2005, 06:03 PM
BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX

I run on grass everyone says itshould wheelie but it doesnt. I realised that i also had an airleak in my carb so i sealed it, that was most probably the cause of the high temps. Once i get all my new stuff i will be able to tune it to run harder and then flip it on its back. Ill keep you 2 updated on the wheelie progress lol.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:04 PM
BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX

Hotchi1 I forgot to mention this link may be of some use to you http://www.osengines.com/faq/product-faq.html#q101
Old 04-09-2005, 04:30 PM
BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX

*update* I replaced one of my fuel lines the one i suspected would have an airleak, and sealed the carb properly and it still running extremely hot. The reccomended settings was someone said 1 and a half turns out and flush with carb. I ran these settings and my engine was boiling drops of water on contact with the engine head. I richen all my needles bit by bit and nothing. My needles are something lke 2 and a half turns out and it doesnt bog down stall but white smoke is coming out. Anyone got any ideas.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:07 PM
lateapex

i don't know if this really helps but I think all CVRs run hot. I just installed one into my maxx and it runs at around 300 degrees even with it way too rich for my liking (2 and a half turns out) at this needle setting, its way too rich, its boggy and spews out way too much smoke. actually, this is what i broke it in at. anyway, I gave up trying to tune to temp and just set my needles so it ran good. this was at about 1.5 turns out on the high speed. it has good power like this and still has good lubrication but it does run quite hot. i've only run it like this for one session of about 2 tanks so I haven't had much time with it like this. i'll let you know how it goes if I have time to run tomorrow.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:52 PM
BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX

My os would never run this hot. After a speedy run it would be touch cool. And also my truck doesnt even bog down at extremely rich settings its weird.