Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

[HEAT] New REVO Running to hot, Cold outside, Super Rich what gives?

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

[HEAT] New REVO Running to hot, Cold outside, Super Rich what gives?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 11:06 AM
joe4324

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [HEAT] New REVO Running to hot, Cold outside, Super Rich what gives?

Hello everyone, I searched the forums, and only found a few threads, but they didnt help me much.

Ok, Summary, I have a brand new revo, On the 2nd tank of the break in I installed a Traxxas Onboard Temp Sensor, and mounted on the body of the truck so I could easily read it while in use. Through out the rest of the break in I would stop about every half tank of gas and check the temps, the WHOLE time it was reading 300F or more, so every half tank of gas I would richen it another HALF turn. by tank 5, It was running so rich It was actually sputtering droplets out of the exhaust, and lots of smoke (probably something like 4 FULL turns richer) and was somewhat sluggish on performance. Only when it was that rich would it stay around 280F.

Now my question is, considering it was only 45F outside, What do I have to do to be able to lean this out to actually get it to perform, without running it at 350F, Let alone when its 90F in the summer time.

I'm using Trinity Monster 20% nitro, And I have the Temp sensor mounted very snuggly exactly were it booklet suggests. Is it possible that my temp sensor isnt accurate or that I'm getting a reading that is accurate but its ok because most people dont check it that close to the actual sleeve?

The booklet says I should have no problem at all, maintiaing optimal performance even at 100F outside, but I'm not understanding how. I assume that I'm doing something wrong, but I followed the book perfectly and this is where it as me.

Before I start hacking up my body what do you think?
Old 04-01-2005, 12:45 PM
hotchi1

Default RE: [Newbie] New REVO Running to hot, Cold outside, Super Rich what gives?

do u have any air flow goin to motor? cuase u are not sposto run with a body during break in. and where exactly is it reading from? didi u calibrate it or any thing?
Old 04-01-2005, 12:59 PM
joe4324

Default RE: [Newbie] New REVO Running to hot, Cold outside, Super Rich what gives?

The break in instructions say to put the body on after the first tank, I followed them to the T, I dont want to cut the body up unless I have too.

The temp sensor is in the groove near the base of the cooling head that is slightly wider then the rest, its were the diagram says to put it that comes with the sensor.

You have to calibrate those things? that would be really weird, its just a temp sensor. Its very responsive, updating the temp at least a couple times a second.

What worries me is if I am having this much of a heat problem, and everything is correctly set wich I a assume it is because I followed instructions, I'll never be able to lean this thing out.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:46 PM
piccorevo

its friction man all new engines tend to run high temps during breakin i mean u have a very tight fitting piston and sleeve two pieces of metal rubbing together go into your garage and try it and tell me if the metal changes temp if it does now do it 40000 times a minute
Old 04-01-2005, 03:15 PM
joe4324

I've read this before, So whats the deal? why doesnt the reams of documentation tell me that its ok if it runs at 320F the whole time? It specifically says I believe twice in the manual that at any time if it is above 270F Shut it down or richen it.

So is the manual wrong? Is my sensor too "sensitive"? Has general usage shown that reguardless of what the manual says its completely acceptable for it to run at that temp?

I'm just fishing for a solution here, even if the solution is that I'm worrying to much and I should just forget about it. I just want to make sure I'm taking the best care I can with this thing, its to awesome to screw up!
Old 04-01-2005, 05:13 PM
bashaholic

Default RE: [HEAT] New REVO Running to hot, Cold outside, Super Rich what gives?

Joe, when he said calibrate it he probably meant to check it on something that you know the temps of like boiling water or ice water. I've got 2 revos and neither one will run at factory settings without heating up too much but I can richen it up and keep the temps down somewhat. I'd call Traxxas and see what they say.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:04 PM
weircc

Default RE: [HEAT] New REVO Running to hot, Cold outside, Super Rich what gives?

dude my revo 2.5 did the same thing i never could keep it cool i would recomend a big cooling head and go with the right glow plug for the outside temp and i think you will be fine on the other hand you could do what i did convert it to a big block the mach 26 is a great engine you will have no probs.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:17 PM
Savage_Dias

I'm in the process of trying to get my money's worth out of my Revo. If I let the engine run below 250 it's a dog. If I tune it to peak performance then back it off about 1/8 turn I'm almost running at speeds it's supposed to run at with a light to medium smoke trail & it's pushing or slightly over 300. I've set up my tranny so it would shift earlier (loosened twice!) & it still doesn't even dream of shifting until I'm over 275. I'm tired of messing with it & I don't want the aggravation my friend is going through with his Maxx. It's either going to run well or I'll have a piston for a keychain & another engine on the way.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:28 PM
RayRayraycer20

wow!!
I thought i was runnin mine too lean....I hit over 300, 3 or 4 times during break-in. I richened it up...and it was still runnin' hot.
I was going to cut an opening in the windshield...do ya think it will help much???
Old 04-02-2005, 01:21 AM
jbuck
My Feedback: (2)

Cutting the windshiel will lower the temps by 15-25 deg. At least that is what happened for me. BOttom line is that revos run hot. al long as there is smoke comming out of the engine you should be Okay I ran through 2 gallons with temps in the 300's before I upgraded to a O.S. 18 TM by the way the 2.5 was still running strong and is waiting to go back in someday.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:56 AM
Zblink18

i have a Tmaxx 2.5 and i have an after market cooling head, running rich(just a lil leaner of break in like 1 turn ) and using 20% nitro with 18%oil and my temps are about 320 everybody i go to says don't worry about it
Old 04-02-2005, 04:11 AM
stilllost
My Feedback: (3)

Ok, Summary, I have a brand new revo, On the 2nd tank of the break in I installed a Traxxas Onboard Temp Sensor, and mounted on the body of the truck so I could easily read it while in use.
take the temp sensor off put it in the tool box. use it only when you are sick.

remember to all ways start rich then lean it out. the goal is to have a nice trail of smoke but still be able to preform. if the truck/car, from a rich starting point, starts to bog on take off and there is a ton of smoke, tooooo rich. if the truck takes off and there is little or smoke and starts to cut out, pop naad stall toooooooooo lean.

what i do, and its just me, i tune my revo and all other toyz to lean it till it shifts then go maybe 1/8th turn lean depending on the weather.

i ran my trx.15 in my tmaxx for oh aprx 8 gallons yes 8 gallons using this method. running the revo the same way but i have noticed that the revo has a finer line between toooo lean and too rich but the method still works.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:18 PM
RayRayraycer20

Jbuck and zblink thanks for the replies....It's good to hear...[8D]
ORIGINAL: Zblink18

i have a Tmaxx 2.5 and i have an after market cooling head, running rich(just a lil leaner of break in like 1 turn ) and using 20% nitro with 18%oil and my temps are about 320 everybody i go to says don't worry about it
Old 04-03-2005, 12:33 AM
Afterburn1
My Feedback: (1)

I was runnin some trinity fuel that was 20% and I ran hot as hell. Switched to odonnell's 30% and LEANED it out and run cooler. On hotter days lol. How weird is that.