Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Please help us with a new tire design

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 04:29 PM
SportCrystals

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help us with a new tire design

Performance Devices is in the process of designing dish wheels and tires for the TMAXX type trucks and 1:8 scale buggies. We will sell a set of four tires that are pre-mounted on the wheels at an awesome price. At this time, the wheel design is just about completed and we are deciding on the type of tire tread, leaning towards the 'bowtie' type of tread.

We look forward to hearing from RCU members as to the optimum type of tread design for both the TMAXX type trucks and general 1:8 scale. Maybe a design like a double dovetail. Also for the tires, we are leaning towards a low-profile tire. If you could fax us a pattern, please do so at (209) 532-9790. Your comments on tread and tire design will be listened to, as we are ready to expense the tooling.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:53 PM
Afterburn1
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Please help us with a new tire design

huh!?
Old 04-02-2005, 05:58 PM
bamaracer0

I think a tread with a smaller pin than the bowties would be cool. It would hook up better on tracks around me I think.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:00 PM
BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX

I really like the proline maxx mulcher tires maybe do something like that except modify and redesign them.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:11 PM
paul5150

i aggree with bamaracer0
Old 04-02-2005, 06:50 PM
SportCrystals

What do you guys think about design that looks like a Pac-man with the mouth open that will bite into the dirt? This design can have as many knobs as a bowtie type tire. I think the wear of such a design would be decent.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:35 PM
hotchi1

how about a back v in a set of bows so it will hook up on accel.very low profile prefreply maby 1/8 to a 1/16 of an inch high so as soon as u hit the side it hooks up on the bows. maby make the v about 1/2 inch across tire and the rest bows or the pack man style
Old 04-07-2005, 06:41 PM
jadster

please, please make a tyre like this: has a low profile, has small paddle type tread and many groves (for sand and grass!) i cant beleave nobody has made a tyre for sand and grass i can tell you now, i know of people that would buy a tyre like that!
Old 04-07-2005, 06:45 PM
jadster

who are you, have you got a web site or something?
Old 04-07-2005, 06:45 PM
SoCal_R3VO

have a website with any prototype designs?

and are you looking for someone with CAD experience to draft you up a working 3d model?
Old 04-08-2005, 08:04 AM
cardriverx

I say make something like the pro-line maobs, with relistic tread and a high sidewall so you dont crack the rim off of big jumps. It would have a relistic tread that would be all purpose for mud, drit, grass, and pavement. That would be one awsome tire
Old 04-08-2005, 09:31 AM
fhm101

ORIGINAL: bamaracer0

I think a tread with a smaller pin than the bowties would be cool. It would hook up better on tracks around me I think.
It's been done. Check out the IMEX Pin Dawg. A lot of racers in GA and the Carolinas run this tire with super soft foams and love them. We've tried them around here and the bowtie is still the best bet in a maxx size tire. The best all around tire for the revo IMHO is the panther python on a 40 series wheel.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:07 AM
SportCrystals

We will be coming out with an 1:8 scale tire in about three weeks for starters, then on to the 40 series ties and wheels. The initial samples of the 1:8 tires are awesome and a bit softer than the Pro-Line. These will be introduced at the NRHSA dealer trade show in Las Vegas on 4/27. The retail will be $26.95 for a 4-pack with foam inserts to be followed with a 4-pack of mounted 1:8 scale tires on a dish wheel for $49.95.

I'll post again in a couple of months when we get the 40 series design going, as we will welcome your pre-design comments.

Thanks, Peter

Old 04-16-2005, 12:55 AM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should style a tire after the ITP Holeshot tires. They are one of the most popular racing ATV tires used today. There have been many variations of this tread used by other companies as well, such as the Maxxis Razr, and Shredder tires. There are many other R/C tires by different companies that are exact duplicates of full size ATV tires, but they have all been for bashing type of use. No one yet has tried to duplicate the most popular ATV racing tire, which suprises me.

Here's a pic of the Holeshots.

Here's the Shredder.

Here's the Razr.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:03 AM
SportCrystals

Great ideas. I am suprised it's not found in the market! This thread goes to My Favorites to ensure followup.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:13 AM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a couple examples of how the R/C tire industry has copied the ATV tires.

This is the Pure Sports Bandit.

It has been copied by XTM (Meats)

And by Imex (Dirt Dawg)

This is the Kenda Bear Claw

Which has been copied by Imex as well (Trail Dawg).

So it is indeed suprising that no one has tried to copy the the most popular racing ATV tires yet. I would really like a set if you decide to do it.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:43 AM
fhm101

ORIGINAL: jefx
So it is indeed suprising that no one has tried to copy the the most popular racing ATV tires yet. I would really like a set if you decide to do it.
While it's not an exact copy, the ATV tread you said was the most popular looks an awful lot like a variation of the bowtie lug. Perhaps the ATV folks copied the RC pattern with a few minor changes to make it more effective for the added size?
Old 04-16-2005, 08:15 AM
ThermalRD

Well, personally i'd really like to see some of prolines popular racing treads ported over from 8th scale to monster truck. For starters, the knuckles. I'd love to have a version of these for 40 series, and a standard maxx wheel.

This new "inside job" tire looks sick! This would hook up awesome on my hard packed indoor track. I'd love to see this in a MT tire.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:38 PM
jadster

so i guess u dont have a website then?
Old 04-16-2005, 09:01 PM
rkutach

I wish the hobby industry would look closer at duplicating lifesized tire tread similar to those made by goodyear and michelin... after all, these manufacturers have put billions of dollars into designing tires for full sized cars and trucks as well as offroad... the only difference is,..... we are just smaller! my 2 cents... russ
Old 04-16-2005, 09:48 PM
FYRWALKER

years ago firestone came out with a mud tire and a tractor tire with it's tread blocks at a 23* angle to the tread,
it said that 23* angle is the optimum in traction bite. it might be worth a try on some pin style tread.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:08 PM
SportCrystals

Here is where we need some critical feedback! We tested the first production tires today at a local track. Mounted on a Pro-Line wheel, the driver (Mark Pyle) stated that these were the best tires he has ever raced with (And wanted to use only these tires at the Pro-Line race in May, Banning, CA.). Mark stated "The tracking and sticking ability on the hard dirt surface was awesome". (He was a lap behind at the start because his engine quit and still finished first out of nine racers!).

Here is what I did not like (But mark did not care):

The inside bead flap of our tire that fits in the groove of the wheel is 2.0mm Vs the Crime Fighter tire that is 1.65mm. The picture here is the 'worst case' of the four tires that we mounted. Mark stated that this did not matter much to him, as the performance and price is more important. For me, I want them to be perfect.

QUESTION: Should Performance Devices release these tires to the market as they are or wait 8 weeks until we have our line of 1:8 wheels where we will offer a mounted only option that will look perfect. Is this a 'big deal'? To date, our crystals and temp gun has only been met with excellent reviews and I do not want any product release to tarnish that. At present, our 2-packs with foam inserts will retail at $12.95 and 4-packs at $26.95.

Thanks in advance,
Peter
Performance Devices Inc.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69240.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	265561  
Old 05-01-2005, 07:25 PM
RCKid1992

Wow I saw alot of stuff i liked here but, I would like to see some picture or a web site of these prototypes you have made so far. So far i think something to redesgin bowtie. Like those 'Inside Jobs' that one guy mentioned. And for your question above I dont understand what is the problem, but if it is the bead around the rim, it looks wrong to me but as long as it is the same on the inside it is ok with me.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:16 PM
piccorevo

i say big knobblies like what a scrambler would have about 5mm squared per block on the tyre

although it would be a heavy tyre it would be cool to have a knobbly on your truck
Old 05-02-2005, 08:13 PM
supernova803

I konw your not looking at mud design tires but if i was to make a tire, I'dd copy the t maxx lug except make it super low profile.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.