Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

O.S. 18TM Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 02:14 AM
stangak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S. 18TM Tuning

Installed my engine in my T-maxx, broke it in with 5 tanks of gas, leaning it 30 degrees per tank, the engine was powerful. operating around 220. I was having sluggish take off so leaned lsn 45 degrees, wow the wheelies were incredible. Loosened up my slipper gear, and hit the track ran great . Next day bit cooler out but not much maybe 80, warmed her hit the track. noticed some whining in spur gear, so went to tighten it up, was to late already burned. After quick replacement of spur gear, truck will not run at low speed continously dies. was runnig great before replacement, and possibly flooded her when replacing, cleared it out, replaced glow plug? Changed from 72 to 70 spur gear, should i lean out the lsn?

The truck ran great for about 3 tanks, dont wanna fiddle with the needles too much. Maybe giver her day to relax and try again? After this will work on getting transmission to shift

Thanks
Old 04-04-2005, 03:57 AM
BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: O.S. 18TM Tuning

Im not to sure but i think this would apply to 3 needle carbs aswell. Since its another day you might need to retune becuase of the weather. Except dont touch the 3rd needle. Also have you changed your plug before breakin.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:10 AM
stangak

yes replaced plug after breakin, the only question is it ran with 30 minutes after it wouldnt run, while replacing spur gear did flood engine enought to have gas out exhaust. after removing fuel replaced plug again hmmm. well any idea how a 70 tooth gear with i guess the stock 20t clutch gear?
Old 04-04-2005, 05:04 AM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OS TM does need to be retuned for the weather but holds an idle like I have never seen. If you do not know where you are stock is 2 1/4 out.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:45 AM
stangak

ok 2 1/4, lean it all the way out(clockwise) and back it up 2 1/4? or the opposite?

I know this engine can rock and seemed to work way better then 2.5

how do i check low speed? is it still the pinch test?
Old 04-04-2005, 07:16 AM
DebianDog

Yes closed (lean-clockwise) then 2 /14 out (open).

The pinch test is still true for the low speed. But to be honest, I just leaned it out a touch when it was new and have not touched it since.

I did find out, though a bad suggestion here, that the motor is VERY sensitive to fuel pressure (too much is bad). I put a [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXG850&P=ML]one way valve[/link] on the pressure line coming off the exhaust. This was a bad plan. The engine would not stay running and would fuel-lock (flood the motor) when trying to start
Old 04-04-2005, 10:16 AM
stangak

Leaned out that hsn 1/4 turn worked out great thanks alot now need to get it too shift, messed with it dont know where its at any ideas on a good starting point?
Old 04-04-2005, 10:35 AM
DebianDog

Got a temp gun? If so you should be checking it down on the outside near the carb(that is the "hot spot" on the motor). Usually around 180 your making enough power for it to hit 2nd gear.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:01 PM
stangak

oh geez now i just need to find out how to get it back to the stock shift settings...some how never realized the temp and shifting. I have on board temp gauge seems to be running in 230-240 range...do notice it really pick up around 180-200 range

Thanks alot for all this help
Old 04-05-2005, 12:22 PM
jetphyxr

hey,

return your needle settings to factory. (in manual)

start it and warm it up.

lean out the low speed so it idles between 190 and 210 degrees. think of the needle as a clock and only lean an hour at a time.

then lean the high speed an hour at a time until it shifts into second gear with out winding out.

then temp it after some high speed passes, then richen it up to run around 250.

good to go.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:41 PM
DebianDog

^^^^^ - What he said -^^^^^