Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Aftermarket parts questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 07:51 PM
rtn9105
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket parts questions

I want to put a turned pipe on my T-maxx but I'm not sure which one to get. The truck has the traxass 2.5 engine, any suggestions?
I'm also wondering about the bottom chassis braces. I'm using this truck mostly for racing and I would like to add some aluminum ones but I don't want to add a bunch of weight. does the added strenth make up for the added weight?
Old 04-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Afterburn1
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Aftermarket parts questions

if your racing I'd look into carbon fiber. Trinity makes good pipes.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:16 AM
fhm101

If you are running on rough tracks, the added weight of a set of aluminum rails and titanium skids is worth it. Get a set of KB Rockhoundz rails. I've got a set that's been through 4 race trucks and are still straight and no stripped screw holes. They got retired to my nephews bash truck when I went to a long chassis truck. They are dinged up and some of the anodizing is worn off, but that's it.

If you want to stay as light as possible, get a set of Maximizer comp bars. The included skid is keyed to the rails so it all locks together when assembled to make a very rigid setup for plastic rails. I built a light maxx race truck with a .12 and a single speed using the comp bars and they worked fine on that truck. One word of caution on the maximizer bars, they do not like cold weather and will get brittle when it's cold out. The second pic below is a set of them installed. These rails with a set of titanium skids are a great combo, but are still heavier than the stock setup.

The stock setup is fine and will work for racing, but will wear out quickly so keep a complete set of rails and skids in your pit box on race day and be prepared to replace both the rails and skids after every 2 or 3 race days.

If you are going to go with metal skids, go ahead and get a set of titanium skids and be done with it. They will outlast several sets of aluminum skids and still be in good shape.

Another thing that will really help your truck is to get a set of RPM bulkhead braces and through bolt them rather than using the 4 small screws per the stock setup. Run a drill large enough to allow an M3 bolt to pass through the holes in the braces and the bulkheads, then mount them using some M3x50 mm cap head bolts, flat washers, and lock nuts. This will really strengthen up the bulks and make them much less prone to breakage. Check out the pic below, it shows the mod on one of my trucks.

You can get the hardware you need for this from Tony's Screws. All of Tony's stuff is top drawer racer quality hardware and his prices are excellent. You can get a complete screw set for your maxx from Tony if you want.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23693.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	255982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61054.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	255983  
Old 04-09-2005, 03:03 PM
rtn9105

Thanks for all the info, it's a great help.

What's the advantage of the carbon fiber pipe over an aluminum one?
Old 04-10-2005, 12:08 AM
rtn9105

I'm also wondering about the shocks. I've got 4 traxass big bore shocks on my t-maxx now. Is there a large difference when using 4 shocks compared to 8 shocks?
Old 04-10-2005, 09:52 PM
nicholsm04
My Feedback: (-1)

Just more of a chance of breaking one, but thats bashing.. so when racing id think youd just be a little lighter.. that probably helps in racing lol i dont know much about racing but ya
Old 04-27-2005, 03:39 AM
rtn9105

fhm101, I bought a set of the maximizer comp bars but I'm having some problems getting them installed. The bottom of my phase5 chassis has a section that is recessed where the rails sit. The problem is that the maximizer rails don't fit into the recess on the chassis. Did you run into this same problem when you put them on the truck in the picture above? Any sugestions would be a huge help.

Thanks