Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Spool or Diff

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 09:04 PM
Afterburn1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spool or Diff

What the hell is the differance anyway?
Old 04-18-2005, 09:28 PM
bamaracer0

Default RE: Spool or Diff

A spool is like a locked diff, both wheels turn at the same speed all the time. A diff will put more power to the wheel with less resistance. You will get more traction, but you turning radius will be widened with a spool compared to a diff.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:32 PM
tmaxx26power
My Feedback: (69)

a diff allows the wheels to turn at different speeds during cornering since they take a different arc-a spool locks them together which is great for drag racing, hill climbing. etc. If you put a spool in your truck you will lose some of the turning radius.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:49 AM
Afterburn1
My Feedback: (1)

How much of the turning radius do you lose and could you gain back what you lost with a quick turn?
Old 04-19-2005, 08:41 AM
fhm101

In addition to the larger turning radius, you will put a huge additional load on the driveline as the spool will force both sides of your driveline to turn at the same speed in a turn as well. In the t maxx a spool on hard surfaces was a sure bet for broken axles no matter what kind of axles you ran.

All the quick turn does is take the front wheels out of the driveline when you are off power so it won't be of any help. The spool will still force the wheels and everything attached to them to run at the same speed in corners when they need to run at different speeds. The only place a spool is worth having is if you don't turn at all or do so at very low speeds.

If you want a more stable forward launch out of the corners and off the starting line use a heavier oil in the rear diff on a revo, or pack the rear diff with grease on a t maxx. To offset the loss of turning a heavy rear diff will cause, go with a lighter oil in the front on a revo, or put just enough grease in a t maxx front diff to lube it.

Another very important factor is how well the diff is built. I've not seen a revo diff so I can't say how they come from the factory, but a t maxx diff is too sloppy even when new and must be shimmed up before it's going to work at it's best.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:18 AM
maxximum_overdrive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys spoke on a quick turn, is that a front one way for the maxx? does it allow you to have only rear brakes? if so where can i get my hans on one?
Old 04-19-2005, 03:48 PM
bamaracer0

ORIGINAL: maxximum_overdrive

you guys spoke on a quick turn, is that a front one way for the maxx? does it allow you to have only rear brakes? if so where can i get my hans on one?
Rigth now its for the Revo only, RD Racing was working on a version for the maxx, but I don't know if they still are or not.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:57 PM
hotchi1

how hard would it be to put it on a maxx? the revo one i mean
Old 04-19-2005, 04:00 PM
mechanicalbob
My Feedback: (49)

Well I have spools in both the front and rear of my Maxx. To help with the steering problim I made a 4-wheel steering set up. New chassis plate, chassis braces and a few other lil things. I have not broken any axles in it yet and the turning rad. is better than stock. I use it for onroad fun as well as a fun rock crawler too. So I would say it is just on how you have it set up.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:11 PM
smitty4
My Feedback: (4)

a spool in the rear really doesnt effect steering that much unless you race. I mean I bash with mine and I really didnt notice a difference and now I wont have to rebuild all the time so.....
Old 04-19-2005, 07:24 PM
fhm101

A properly built diff should last a long time. I've got a set that are on their second race truck and outside of routine maintnence, they are still in great shape. Since I learned the right way to build a t maxx diff i've never blown one.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:50 PM
hotchi1

what is the correct way?
Old 04-19-2005, 08:45 PM
smitty4
My Feedback: (4)

well if you climb alot they will go with in about 20-30 runs. So if you climb or bash hard I would buy a spool and dont worry about your turning. I am about to buy a hitec servo for mine to make it a little better. but thats just because it turns to slow. I want fast turning so I can roll it more jk lol.