Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

mgt fuel tank on a t-maxx, can you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 06:05 PM
DurTmaxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mgt fuel tank on a t-maxx, can you do it?

has any1 done that before or know how you can do it?
Old 07-18-2005, 10:52 AM
fhm101

Default RE: mgt fuel tank on a t-maxx, can you do it?

I've never tried one that large, but a 125cc buggy tank is very simple to install though it does require some relocation of components on the chassis.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:43 PM
DurTmaxx

which buggy tank was it? and do you know the race regulation tank alloweed, i think its 125cc.
thanks
Old 07-19-2005, 01:01 AM
fhm101

Most ant buggy tank will work, I've run the OFNA Hyper 7, 9.5, and one other OFNA buggy tank that I don't know what model it came from, but it was different that the other two I used. I've also used a Mugen MBX4 tank and on my current race maxx I have an MBX5 tank.

As for the size limit, the only thing I'm sure about is RC Pro and the only thing they restrict is the number of tanks. Size is not regulated, but you can only run a single tank. I'm pretty sure this is due to some folks whining about a few peole running 12 t maxx trucks with twin 75cc tanks on them a few years back. Forget that it was done more for improved balance or that the total capacity was the same as a single 125cc (ROAR legal buggy) tank which is what most everyone else was running, or even that it took twice as long to refuel in a pit stop, the idea of two tanks freaked them out for some reason and they cried every time they saw a truck set up this way.

This year some guys have been putting some OFNA Violator tanks in their truggies. The claimed capacity on this tank is (I think) 150cc, but it actually measures out at 135cc. The idea is to pit less, but I don't think the small increase in volume is making enough differenc to make it worth the extra weight. If you are runnig a modded 28 the extra fuel would run you about the same amount of time as 125cc on a hot 21 so it may be worth looking in to if you have a 28. There have been a few tanks larger than the violator unit used, but I think the weight tradeoff begins to reach the point of negative return once you go much larger than 135cc.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Lummer

Good info FHM101. But in your post you say that 2 75cc tanks have a total capacity equal to a single 125cc buggy tank. But wouldn't 2 x 75cc = 150cc ? I guess I could understand them whining about that. Seems like there is alot of whining at the races.....especially by those getting SMOKED ! LOL
Old 07-20-2005, 02:33 AM
fhm101

Sorry about that, it would be 150cc. One of those brain farts I've been having lately. Seems the older I get the more often it happens. What was the question again?
Old 07-20-2005, 02:37 AM
choppermikez
My Feedback: (11)

hey the ofna tank like said above is what i am running and its about maybe 5 more mins longer run times and all i had to do waz move everything to one side or up a lil more and it works fine
Old 07-20-2005, 08:32 AM
fhm101

Here's a pic of one of my maxx race trucks from a few years ago that shows one place the buggy tank will go. It also shows my favorite OFNA buggy tank for use with the maxx. Even though it's on a custom chassis, the same can be done with a stock chassis.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37650.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	299438  
Old 07-21-2005, 03:08 AM
DurTmaxx

thanks for all the info, i just trie dthe mgt tank, but it was way too big to fit anywhere without major modification. gonna try to fit two small tanks, or find a nice buggy tank.