Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Who owns/owned BOTH 18tm and tm323?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 05:58 PM
Wevie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who owns/owned BOTH 18tm and tm323?

I'm looking for comparisons of the two engines from people who have exposure to both.

What I've read:

18tm has broad power band and good overall power.

tm323 has narrow power band and even better overall power.

What I'd like to know is what pipe was used on the 18tm to get this result? Would a different pipe on the tm323 broaden/flatten the power band? Is the tm323 so power peaky that it becomes a handful? And overall, with the pipe that comes with the tm323 which becomes the better deal?

With a price difference of about $20 and similar reviews, I just cannot decide.

I know this topic may be beat to death, but I've been reading and reading and I just cannot decide. I'm not asking because I'm too lazy to search.

Old 12-12-2005, 06:08 PM
itspuddingtime00

Default RE: Who owns/owned BOTH 18tm and tm323?

I don't have the O.S., but I have the 323. As far as peaky power on the 323, it is very smooth and controllable. It has a monstorous low end, but can still hit the higher RPMs easily. If you are into racing, I'd go with an O.S. .18 TZ or TM. The rb may be a bit powerful unless you have good throttle control. (Talk to revofamily, he has raced his revo with the 323). A good pipe for the O.S. would be the trinity high flow pipe. The pipe that comes with the 323 is the best engine/pipe combo you can get for it. I was in the same boat as you, I decided to get the 323 because I'm a basher and it had the best 'bang for your buck' out of all the choices, and I have never regretted my decision.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:11 PM
Wevie

Oh, I should have added....

I will be 95% racing 5% bashing.

Local tracks are all tight, low end tracks. The indoor track has about 140' back stretch and the rest is twisty, turny, jumpy.

Its either the 18tm or the tm323. Not looking at the 18tz.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:57 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

For racing... I would recommend the 18tm... the 323 has more power, which can be hazardous to racing... it took a LOT of throttle control to keep the Revo from sliding all over the track... and that was AFTER I geared it to 16/36 to calm it down. The OS 18tm doesn't have the MONSTEROUS low-end that the TM323 has... and it makes it more "usable" in racing situations. I've had exposure to both... I own the TM323, and my buddy has the 18tm... mine is faster... but I've seen the 18tz on the track (I know, it's not the tm, but... it's still an OS .18..) and it's much more controllable than the TM323 was. The guy could WOT it on the straight... and I had to feather it at about 1/2 throttle or else I started sliding... if you are going with a TM323 to race... I would suggest doing AT LEAST 16/36 gear combo... and getting some REALLY grippy tires... possibly even a better radio that has progressive throttle... then it may be a bit more controlable... I had a hard time, though... with the TQ-3 and stock Talon tires.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:24 AM
snoking16

what would be a good radio and what makes a radio good??