Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

After Run oil....EVERYTIME???

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 11:05 PM
diggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Run oil....EVERYTIME???

I picked up a used REVO and have run it for a total of maybe 45 mins now or so on 3 different occasions. Is it necessary to d the after run oil thing after EACH run or just after accumulating an hour of run time? And if so is it ok to use the WD-40 method or use the aftermarkets oil better?

Sorry for such a NEWB question but im a NEWB!!

peace

Old 12-30-2005, 11:10 PM
CarTireDragbike

Default RE: After Run oil....EVERYTIME???

after run evry time you run. Do you know how to do it? I don't like wd 40 in my in my motor j.m.o have seen what it does to carb's at the dragstrip, It dries out and leave a dry flim behind. It would take a long time for A.R.O to dry out.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:16 PM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

WD-40 will suffice until you get the real deal. If you want you engine to last and run as good as possible you will want to use it everytime. WD just displaces the moisture, pushing somewhere else in your engine, after run eats the moisture.

I dont mean after every single running of your truck you have to use it, just when your done for the day or whatever.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:18 PM
diggs

I am assuming just taking out the glow plug and putting in 2-3 drops and turning it over a couple times? Do you have the gas line pinched off to the carb when you do this? How do I know when I should change my glow plugs? I finally got my REVO running PERFECT today, did some tweaks on my own and im really loving this truck.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:23 PM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

When you do it, you should have emptied the tank by now, after you empty the tank fire it up to burn the fuel in the lines. After that put 2 or 3 drops in the glow plug hole and put the same amount in the carb (hold it open of course) and then turn it over a few times. If you are using the EZ start on the revo, there is a little indicator light on the handheld wand that will tell you if the glowplug is no good.

Also a good plug for the TRX 2.5 (revo engine) is the OS LC3 hot plug.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:31 PM
WAXDUMMIES

After run oil after every run. Buy a quality oil, such a hobbico after run oil. Pull out the glow plug, 3 drops on top the piston, pull off the filter, 3 drops in the carb venturi. Cycle the motor. Reinstall the plug and filter. Done. Your motor will love you for it!
Old 12-30-2005, 11:42 PM
diggs

So have I messed up the engine by not doing it over the past few days? I would do it now but im a lazy ass and its late, will I be ok if I just do it tomorrow?

Another dumb question is it THAT bad to leave fuel in the tank? What if you only ran half a tank? You should toss it still??? At $23 a gallon that dont seem right
Old 12-31-2005, 12:10 AM
CarTireDragbike

i don't think you hurt it, but i would do it soon. if you dpn't want to buy a new motor.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:27 AM
diggs

k...thanks guys
Old 12-31-2005, 02:12 AM
WAXDUMMIES

Ya didnt hurt nuthin, but make after run oiling your motor a new ritual. Takes two minutes. Kinda fun, Hobbico oil smells good...[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] <<< oil fumes, LoL.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:38 AM
DaveG55

A couple things nobody has mentioned yet.
One, Before pulling the glow plug and air filter to do the ARO thing be VERY sure to clean the areas around them of dust, dirt, etc. It will do you absolutly no good to put ARO in if you drop trash down the engine.
Two, the reason you don't want to leave fuel in the tank and do want to do ARO is because one of the ingreadeants in nitro fuel is methanol. Methanol is a sponge for moisture. It's obvious that if you leave a mist of fuel in the engine and it attracts moisture that rust will form. Once you get rust on bearings that normally run close to 30k rpm, well they won't last long. Also, the extra moisture that fuel left in the tank attracts can and will throw off that "perfect" tune.
Three, If you still have fuel in the last tank of the day it's ok to put it back in the gallon (or whatever) of fuel so it can be reused. A hand or electric fuel pump makes that a lot easier and cleaner. Just don't do it with any fuel that has sat opeen to the air for any length of time or you can contaminate the supply.
Four, After run procedure is especially important if you're going to store the truck for extended periods, like a couple months. The nitro and methanol evaporate and leave behind the oils in the fuel and they gum things up pretty quickly.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:54 AM
hockey101

I have an OSmax 18cv-r engine and booklet says DO NOT put after run in the carb as it will cause the o rings inside the carb to dry out
Old 12-31-2005, 10:37 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: hockey101

I have an OSmax 18cv-r engine and booklet says DO NOT put after run in the carb as it will cause the o rings inside the carb to dry out
I almost always say to do as the engine maker suggests so I won't say they are wrong.
But, if you open the throttle and look down the carb throat you are looking straight into the crankcase. I don't know what o-rings would possably be affected. Maybe the one for the lsn??? Also, just putting aro on top of the piston will not adiquatly distribute the oil in the crankcase as most of it will coat the sleeve walls and go out the exhaust, not a bad thing but it does very little to protect the main engine bearings and crankshaft.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:07 PM
ryan400

i have a nitro cleaner bottle full of that cleaning stuff but in the bottle is there after run oil? its says to spray everywhere but im not sure if it works as an after run oil

thanks
Old 12-31-2005, 12:41 PM
piccorevo

ok i have never used a good quality after run oil, alkways wd-40, when i remember about it. all you are wanting to do is get all moiusture out of the engine, and before peeps jump me, i have a picco 21 with ten gallons threw it and still pulls.

all iwant to know is what is the problems with using wd-40 compared to ARO as i have a new picco 26 max and dont want to gunk it up or ruin it as some peeps might say i wnat to treat this baby right.

all i think it is that prolongs an engines life is a good tune, well maintaned and well looked after engine
Old 12-31-2005, 01:09 PM
JellymanJoe

I have a gallon of Backyard Basher nitro, 20/16% - it says directly on the bottle NOT to use after run because there is sufficient rust inhibitors and anti-oxidant additives in the fuel itself. Is this correct?

Jelly
Old 01-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Oliverhm

One question I have is, can I take the whole engine apart clean it with denatured alcohol (meths) and re-assemble it and re-lube it with WD-40 or after run Oil. There's no harm in cleaning the engine with denatured alcohol is there?
Old 01-01-2006, 09:22 PM
diggs

Jellyman brought up a good question there.