Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Revo engine too small???

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 08:07 PM
bigd652

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo engine too small???

Ok heres the story. I went to my LHS to pick up a few thing i need to get my new and beloved Revo running. I was asking the owner a few general questions and asked him if for when the day comes and I know it will if the OS 18tz would be a good engine for it. Well he went on about how the engine in the Revo's are way to small for them and thats the reason why he doesn't sell them. He said they just rev really hi and thats why traxxas is all about running there fuel and only there fuel because of all the lubes they put in it to keep that 2.5r cool. I mean ya a .15 engine in a truck this size may be on the small size but i also haven't run this thing yet so i have no clue. I don't know it just really made me mad that he would bash the Revo when he knows i just got it. Sorry for the rant guys and girls just venting.... Anyways anyone else have any thoughts? Should i just get a big block when the 2.5 dies? Thanks
Old 01-06-2006, 08:35 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Revo engine too small???

My advice would be to run the thing, and then ask yourself if you think it is to small? I think you will find that thing gets right with the program off the line, and will flat out haul butt down the straights! I am sure the hobby shop would love to keep selling you stuff! With salesmen there is always going to be something that you need to buy from them! My Maxx has the 2.5r and it will really get with it! I am sure the bigger motor would even do better yet, but the 2.5r is no dog by any means IMO! There is always room to improve anything, even when it is good to begin with! I guess it boils down to how fast or quick do you need it to be?
Old 01-06-2006, 08:46 PM
rcmaster123
My Feedback: (3)

no, the 2.5 is the most powerful .15 size engine out there(RCCA), =to a lot of .18 engines, thats why it was voted RCCA readers choice engine for 2 years
Old 01-06-2006, 08:47 PM
Oliverhm

The 2.5r is not called the fastest in it's class for no reason, it's a very good motor for what it does, and I don't think it's difficult to tune at all.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:53 PM
DaveG55

Dude,
Ya gotta quit worring about what other people say about the Revo. It's a good truck, you already bought it, enjoy it and learn.
Drive it for a while, learn its strong points and quirks. Once you get a feel for it, form your own thoughts and opinions. Then you can decide what you feel it needs and doesn't need.

I will say one thing, any lhs owner that says something like that about waht is one of the most inovative and popular MT's made today has some serious issues. Besides the fact that it's a rash, childish statement it's very poor buisness practice. I would not trust him.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:08 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2.5r is not too small for the Revo. The Revo runs like a bat out of he!! with it. But the motor does lack enough torque to do wheelies and stuff. The best thing you can do is run the crap out of the stock motor and get a feel for the Revo. When you are ready for a new motor, upgrade to something else. Who knows, you may decide you really like the 2.5r and buy another one. I would definitely not replace the 2.5r until you run it for a while.

Also, if your LHS does not sell the Revo, he would be one of the few that do not. He is also missing out on one of the best selling RC trucks ever made.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Airpressure

That guy doesn't know a thing what he is talking about the 2.5r is one powerful engine! I can't even control mine already! It has insane torque and horsepower. You will love it.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:35 PM
bigd652

Thanks guys... I was more mad then anything. I can't wait to run the thing.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Airpressure

Try not to crash it! and have fun!
Old 01-07-2006, 05:43 AM
raceguy13

wait untill you run one with a rb tm323 in it. they really fly!
Old 01-07-2006, 12:42 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: raceguy13

wait untill you run one with a rb tm323 in it. they really fly!
[X(][X(][X(][X(]

Yeah they do! [X(]
Old 01-07-2006, 01:43 PM
foxracing500r

It wouldnt mattered if you had a os.18 he would dog on that and say go with a bigger one, Its all about money and thats what I hate about my lhs, There used to be a guy around here who generaly loved RC cars and help you in every way posible, and since he closed down everything is about money, I hate it. Dont get mad about it cuz he just wants you to spend money in his store, Run your car and make your own decision if you should go bigger.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:57 PM
revopqrs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont know about you guys, but i remember when i first broke my revo in and got it tuned it was too fast for me to drive! my roomate and i both bought one at the same time, after break in we took em out to the side street to open them up. well with the truck set up stock it was outta control once it got into second gear! i dont know how many high speed wipeouts we had before we got the suspension dialed in, but it was alot! scratched our trucks up big time!
now mine is so dialed that i can wind it out with the 30 in it without fear of high speed instability! but it took some learnin and tweakin!
the 2.5r will keep your hands full for a little while at least!
Old 01-07-2006, 05:55 PM
FANTOM27REVO
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with the last post. Im fortunate to have a really good hobby guy who is about makin everything better no matter what you got. He gives me excellent support and great deals all the time. I know a few of the guys at the local track who still run the 2,5r and all they did was lighten up their rig a little. As for engines its all a matter of personal opinion and what you want to do with it. Thats why the hobby class of R/C let you fix em , unlike the wal-mart stuff. Boild down to this one question : HOW DEEP ARE YOUR POCKETS ? mine could be deeper, lol
Old 01-07-2006, 11:23 PM
foxracing500r

You agreeing to mine or revopqrs?
Old 01-08-2006, 05:01 AM
stilllost
My Feedback: (3)

most likely mad that you didn't buy from his shop. imo i would find a new shop to shop at. and let him know that the next time yer in the area. if thats the only one well you can go on line. most likely be the same price and use for fuel only
Old 01-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Wevie

I've only owned the Revo for a couple weeks. I've only raced it once and here's what I found:

I raced against a BB Savage, a couple of 2.5r powered Revo's, a rb tm 323 powered Revo, and a OS18TM powered Revo.

I had the fastest lap time in every qualifier and the main.

The 323 would pull from me out of the corners, the Savage seemed about even with me out of the corners and down the back stretch.

I practice, practice, practice and simply out drive them.

Some of the pro racer's will run the 2.5r on tight tracks and reserve the OS18TM for longer, higher speed tracks.

I feel the 2.5r has plenty of power. You can put anything in it you want, but you've got to be able to utilize the power. The 2.5r is plenty capable of hanging with any MT I've seen unless your just looking for flat out top speed.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:29 PM
bigd652

Sucks he is the only shop in town. Guess i will be making alot of tower hobbies orders.... lol
Old 01-10-2006, 03:08 AM
snoking16

that guy is a used car saleman. all he wants you to do is buy the os .18 from him. i wouldnt. get your engine new online....ebay is awsome. you can find great deals. i would buy the tm 323. its better then the os .18. its a big block but it comes with a tuned pipe and the engine mount for the revo. there on ebay brand new for around $220. great deal and a great engine. i know my hobby shop ripps people off on engines. the os .18 cvrx is $175 at my hobby shop on sale saying the retail is like $260. i know. just get it online. ebay is great. i love it.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:02 PM
bigd652

Ok i just did the break in and all is well so far.... Wow this thing gets up and goes....