Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

T-Maxx?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 03:18 PM
snorfargle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Maxx?

I've been looking to get into hobby grade R/C for a while since I was very disappointed with Radio Shack (junk) R/Cs. I was looking at an electric Stampede for a while but I'm afraid that I will end up disappointed with performance again. I want a truck that will run easily in my backyard/woods/wherever I take it, and I think that the electric route will not fulfill my expectations. Plus, I've always been interested in nitros and their performance, so now I'm thinking about a T-Maxx (can't afford a Revo) and I have some questions. I hear that nitros are very loud, but they cant be all that loud. How do they compare noisewise to a weed trimmer or chainsaw? Also, I'm not looking to do huge 20ft jumps or anything, maybe just small ones and just general bashing around my house. Is the T-Maxx good/durable for bashing (again, no hardcore 20+ft jumps)? Thanks in advance for any input!
Old 01-22-2006, 03:28 PM
RCKid1992

Default RE: T-Maxx?

Yes for what you are going to do T-maxx is perfect. A Revo could do the same. As long as you land your jumps right think that you will be fine. It is a very durable truck out of the box! If you get one with the 2.5 you may wanna beware they are not the best engines for beginners... BUT I think they are fine motors even though they are a little tricky to tune. But don't switch trucks just cause a said that. Main thing is be patient, take your time, and take good care of your investment. If you do these thing you will love the hobby!
If you have any question just ask this what this is for!
Old 01-22-2006, 05:12 PM
sly2136

very good advise rckid. as far as the noise question its pretty close to a weed wacker i'm sure if you have neighbors close they won't like it unless they are into that stuff
Old 01-22-2006, 05:34 PM
nicholsm04
My Feedback: (-1)

Go with the T-Maxx, an excellent beginner's truck. Just dont go crazy with jumps until you see the truck's limitations, because every R/C has them. Be sure to break it in correctly, and also follow every step in the manual when tuning. Use after run oil, after EVERY run.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:02 PM
ProfitOfDoom

I agree Tmaxx is a great truck.I find it very easy to work on,and parts are usally available.
The noise isnt all that loud,But yea soem people find it anoying.
If you feel nitro isnt right for you at the moment,Look into the Emaxx,I think there great right out of the box there pretty quick and has nice power,and quiet.
The down side is that you will have to buy a good charger and 2 good battery packs "most likey will want at least 4 packs" all that will run you at least 100 bux for a dual charger and 2 packs.
Its just another option to look into,but if your use to radio shack rc's just about any good rc will be better.
Also look for a deal on ebay you could save quit a bit of money buying used
Old 01-23-2006, 05:11 PM
dirtdemon8989

I have one it is great and pretty cheap compared to the rest of them and fast and you can find cheap parts for it most of the time
Old 01-23-2006, 05:32 PM
snorfargle

What will I be looking at as far as price for a T Maxx and everything needed to run it (since this will be my first hobby grade R/C)?
Old 01-24-2006, 07:24 AM
Wevie

I think a TMaxx runs about 350 or so. You'll need a charger for the receiver battery, AA's for the radio, battery and charger for the EZ start, fuel, fuel bottle, air filter oil, after run or WD40, some basic tools, etc.

Now, the Revo can be had for 430. You'll need AA's for the radio, battery and charger for the EZ start, fuel, fuel bottle. It comes with charger for Rx pack, tools, air filter oil, optional suspension parts, etc. etc. I think the Revo with all the stuff you get is a far better deal. You may want to price everything and see what the difference is afte you add it all up!!

IMO the TMaxx is easier to work on, but neither truck is difficult. I also believe the Revo is more durable.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:52 AM
Airpressure

The T-maxx is a great truck, I have had one for quite a while now and have not been dissapointed about it. One thing you need to expect to break are the bulk heads, they break pretty easily if you don't land a jump right, you might want to get alumnium ones.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:21 AM
maxximum_overdrive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've had my t-maxx for about a year now. i bought it new. i already had a charger and pack for the ez-start, and the guy at the hobby shop threw in a fuel bottle and extra gow plug because the price was mismarked on the truck. it said 329. but it was 379. i gues his marker slipped or something. anyway so around 400 bucks after tax and a gallon of fuel. i LOVE my truck. and have had no real probs with duribilty. i did break ONE rear bulk head, but it was totally my fault. i was trying ot show off for my wife's family and clipped a fence post with the left rear wheel at wot. it broke the bulk and the skid. (about 15 bucks worth of parts and a couple of hours later i was back in buissness). the only other thing i have broken was the fuel tank, wich is not a big deal, i wanted to upgrade to a rustler tank anyway (more constant pressure), so that the infamous rich/ lean would be gone. other than that, like i said i love my truck. just remember this..............every truck on the market has its goods and bads, ups and downs, pros and cons........you get the picture...........get the truck that your local shops supports, because i don't know of a single truck that doesn't break at some point. its just part of the hobby.

as for the noise thing, its MUCH quieter that a chainsaw, and a bit quieter than a weed eater. if you think after you run it a few times that it too loud, you can always put an exaust deflecter on it, and that should help a little.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:45 AM
SlowDriver

snorfargle,

Like they say, TMaxx is a great truck. You can get running for $400-500. But you definately need to prepare yourself for the periodic breakages. Allow yourself some extra "maintenance" cash for the repairs, and more for fuel.

I've spent the last 2 weeks rebuilding my Maxx. Funny thing is, my Maxx is mostly stock, with most of its original parts. After more than 10 gallons of fuel all of the parts are still nice and tight. The only bought grease for my diffs ($3.50) and a new bumper set ($10) because the old screws that hold them on were bent. To me this is a testament to the durability of the Maxx truck, as a basher or racer!
Old 01-24-2006, 04:49 PM
snorfargle

Well, after much consideration I think I'll probably go with the T-Maxx. I'm afraid that an Electric Stampede (even with mods) will be underpowered and disappoint me like the junk R/Cs I had before. So, I think the T-Maxx is the choice for me. However, it does suck that it's so f'n expensive...I see a few months of saving $ in my future...
Old 01-24-2006, 09:18 PM
SlowDriver

Yes, young Skywalker, buy the truck and the force will be with you!
Old 01-25-2006, 02:43 AM
boss_blueangels

INVEST IN ZIP TIES!!! Screw duct tape, it's ZIP TIES that hold the universe together!!

Ditto to everything everyone said... T-maxx is an amazing truck. I've had mine about 9 months now and am relentless with it. You will be quite shocked at the abuse this truck will take! lol

The thing I break the most are the A-arms... I've only had one break in a bulkhead... I ran the truck for 2 months with the thing busted (held together with a small allen wrench and zip ties) before replacing it. (Which was only replaced because I had to take the part off to get to something more important.) lol At one point I had my rear dif held in place with zip ties and a small nail, the bulkhead and the wrench holding the bulkhead together, and more zip ties holding both bumpers in place. Worked like charm for 3 days till I was done racing!

As for the money, yeah the initial investment is a lot to swallow... but as with every other hobby, it's starting out that is the worst. After that it's rare that you'll have to pay more than $20 a visit to your LHS.

And use e-bay as much as you can! There are some AMAZING deals! My brother in law has almost a complete T-maxx worth of parts (including 8 a-arms, 4 complete diffs, 2 complete transmissions.) that he got off E-bay for less than half the cost of the truck, including shipping.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:59 AM
maxximum_overdrive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've still yet to break an a-arm on mine, but i know that i will eventually. especially since i no longer run bumpers, and my skids are cut down by about 2 1/2 inches. i put my maxx on a diet. i've ditched almost everything that added extra weight. i even slammed the body right down to the top of the shock towers and cut off the excess post under the mount. i know it sounds a little rediculous, but look at it like this........every time you reduce the weight, even if its only by a few grams, you improve the power to weight ratio, wich in turn makes it quicker and handle better. its kinda like puting a carbon hood on your real car, yeah you saved 75 lbs..................but on a car that weighs 3000 lbs........ it doesn't really sound sugificant does it?

anyway, congrats on your decision, and be sure to let us know when you get your beast. besides i'm sure that you will have a few questions. don't feel bad, though, everybody has questions when they frst start out. and most who have been in the hobby for a while have questions too. thats where we come in. we are all here to help with what ever we can. even if we don't know what the prob. is right off, we can usually get you pointed in the right direction.

peace
Old 01-25-2006, 11:54 AM
sk8z27

get an 1/8th scale, you won't be disappointed. they are buggies or truggies and made for the track, but you can still go out and bash. even the cheapest rtr 1/8th scales are built tougher then the tmaxx. i should know, i have a modded smaxx that i've totally converted for the track. i've seen the abuse an 1/8th scale can take and if i did that with my maxx i'd be rebuilding it from the chassis up, which i've already done and constantly do to keep it in tiptop shape. my goal is to get a truggy in the near future. anyways, you can pick up a rtr for under $400, and there are many to choose from. the motors are even bigger then the maxx. .15 compared to .21 and up. I've even seen some online for around $279. just something to think about