Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Racing Revo

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 02:59 PM
xMikey_Wildx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Revo

will someone give me a list of what i need to buy to make a revo race ready
Old 01-31-2006, 03:15 PM
Wevie

Default RE: Racing Revo

I raced mine right out of the box. The Revo is race ready.

I would recommend, however:

Tires
Forward Only Conversion
A selection of shock oils and springs to tune the suspension to your track.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:24 PM
xMikey_Wildx

what are some of the best racing wheels/tires
Old 01-31-2006, 03:31 PM
beelzebubishere
My Feedback: (1)

Depends on the track....what works down here, may not work up there....check with some of your local racers, and see what THEY are doing. Afterall, THEY are going to be who you're competing against.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:29 PM
drewjacobs

Here is what I did to mine to make mine a racer!!
New carbon fiber trubuckles(very strong)
CVD's (not those big bulky shafts it comes with)
Graphite battery/servo, tray
Sanwa Hyper ERG-VB Servo
Upgraded servo spring
Aluminum Single servo steering arm
O.S. .18 TM
RPM reciever Box
Wing(for more down foce and protects engine when the car flips)
Totally forgot to put the pipe on it is a Trinity Flattened Pipe for revo
RPM front and rear ball carriers and over sized bearings
P2 rockers(f/r)
Proline Bowties
Forward only conversion kit
RPM F/R upper and lower Arms
RPM Black died front bumper
Upgraded clamp type air filter
3Racing Extended Chassis
RD Racing Quick Turn Drive Shaft

Drew
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65306.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	399284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35944.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	399285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24917.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	399286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11958.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	399287  
Old 01-31-2006, 04:53 PM
Haulin bass

to race go with:
Tires(#1 most important thing)
shock springs and oil(almost as important as tires)
FOC
Better radio
pullstart(or starter box)

anything else isnt needed(but fun stuff none the less)
Old 01-31-2006, 08:32 PM
FANTOM27REVO

tires
then chop it here and there to lighten it up
SINGLE SERVO STEERING like a hi-tec 5945mg
upgraded radio system
carbon fiber chassis ( only for racing ) too fragile for all out bashing ( im sure that'll fire somebody up )
wing
different pipe maybe
OS 18TM Engine ( seems to be the popular pick )

the revo isnt race ready out of the box IMO, pretty close, if the steering didnt suck out of the box.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:14 PM
maxx0619

yea the electronics need to be addressed to be competitive. panther python or response tires work good as do the new panther boas. springs need to be stiffer and thicker oil too. that will get you started
Old 02-01-2006, 04:11 PM
thenewguy821
My Feedback: (12)

Everybody is missing the MOST important part of making a Revo "Race Ready". All the upgrades in the world will not help one bit, if you don't PRACTICE. Worry more about getting track time in, and get used to the way it handles. Ask the local guys what Tires seem to work best on that track. Don't run out and spend a bunch of money on parts that MIGHT help. Someone here may suggest Bowties, but if you are on a loose dirt track, they won't grip as good as a tire with bigger lugs. As for Engine, stick with the 2.5 untill you need an engine. My 2.5 will run side by side with an OS .18, it's all about tuning.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:20 PM
d2cs2mdw
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

I have a O.S. 18 TM in my Revo, get it! You won't be sorry.

Mason
Old 02-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Wevie

a list of what i need to buy
Can't buy practice

Can't agree more. Practice is the most important ingredient. However, the two best upgrades I spent money on was tires and FOC. After that I started picking up a few tenths by tuning the suspension and gearing. Everything else is stock on my Revo and except for the one time I broke the truck in the main, I've finished in the top three every race. I spend as much time as possible practicing.

Something that hasn't been mentioned that I now feel is invaluable is a personal transponder. It's on my list, but I've been borrowing my nephew's. With the transponder I can go to the track any day and have my lap times electronically announced over the PA system. When looking for a 1/2 second its the only way to know if an upgrade helped.

A break down of the trucks that consistantly place in the top at the local track:

1. Revo with extended chassis and response tires. This otherwise stock truck sticks to the track like glue. The driver is experienced and is a very tough competitor. As his Revo is not his primary race vehicle, he lets the maintenance slide. This is his disadvantage as something may go wrong or the truck just doesn't perform top notch.

2. Revo with OS18TM, RD logics pipe, response tires. Owned by a track employee and a very experienced driver. I can count on a first place finish from him. Although he has more bottom end than my truck, if I don't make ANY mistakes, I can stick with him. Granted, it is rare that I don't make any mistakes.

3. Stock revo with response tires on cut wabash rims. Owned by #2's son. I've only seen him once, but I list him because of how impressed I was. Very experienced driver. Will make an error and then battle back to catch up to his dad.

4. A truck I don't know much about - a TNX. The driver is probably the best I've ever seen. Never practices, but has been driving for over a decade. He doesn't always show up, but if he does, first place is his, hands down.

These are the guys I consider my competition. I don't have near enough experience to count myself in this group, but I'm getting there. If I can't compete with these drivers, I don't deserve to race. Reading over this, the moral is experience driving. A wide array of combinations giving the same results. All of these trucks make 26 second laps. All of them win on a regular basis. All of them are owned and driven by very good drivers.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:34 PM
thenewguy821

Can't buy practice
I don't know where you race/practice, but most tracks DO charge a fee. So, YES, you can buy practice. lol
Old 02-01-2006, 04:47 PM
Wevie

I don't know where you race/practice, but most tracks DO charge a fee. So, YES, you can buy practice. lol
Ah, point. I stand corrected.

Old 02-01-2006, 05:47 PM
revopqrs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya man, practice on a track is the best thing you can do! my revo is freakin fast! like balls out, crazy, outta control fast! but im not gonna win many races because i have a problem with letting off the throttle when i should!![:@] i am no kind of threat on a track, well actually i am! my truck is sooo fast that the other drivers try to hammer it to hang going down the straights, and like i said i dont let up when i should...they usually follow me into the pipes!!! i have actually won because everyone broke their rides and mine was still runnin at the end!! yup, my moment of glory....

moral of the story, dont try to hang with the fast truck when ya see it take off! odds are that truck is blowin out of the turn!!
Old 02-01-2006, 06:41 PM
FANTOM27REVO

I agree that practice is important, but why even practice with a setup that isnt correct/competitive... You can drive that damn REVO all day long bone stock and then you go a switch to a better single steering servo and all the sudden your way off going into the turn. Then you get an extended chassis, now your truck handles different. oops... now we gotta change spring rates.. ok, now it pops off the jumps better, gotta re-learn that as well.

Do you guys get what Im trying to say ?

Its no different than racing stock cars and making changes and having to learn how to drive the car different,
Old 02-01-2006, 07:07 PM
Blackhawk4

exactly you can never have the perfect racing revo or the perfect raing truggy ect. you always have to change something every time so this thread has no point now becase there is no perfect awnser to the question
the truck is important butwhat is most important is the driver him/herself
Old 02-02-2006, 10:29 PM
thenewguy821

ORIGINAL: FANTOM27REVO

I agree that practice is important, but why even practice with a setup that isnt correct/competitive... You can drive that damn REVO all day long bone stock and then you go a switch to a better single steering servo and all the sudden your way off going into the turn. Then you get an extended chassis, now your truck handles different. oops... now we gotta change spring rates.. ok, now it pops off the jumps better, gotta re-learn that as well.

Do you guys get what Im trying to say ?

Its no different than racing stock cars and making changes and having to learn how to drive the car different,
Completely undrstood, but the point I was trying to make, is people saying "Buy an OS .18TM". WHY????? My 2.5 will run side by side with most TM's, and pass the others. "Buy RPM Battery Boxes". What does that have to do with making a "Race Revo" RPM's weigh more than stock, and the stock boxes aren't in a position to worry about breakage. "Buy Bow-Ties". Depending on the track surface, this could be good advice, or bad advice. Bowties are great on a high grip surface, but there are better tires for a loose dirt surface. "Buy RPM Arms". While they are more durable, the stock arms are quite durable themselves. Besides, the RPM arms are heavier, and you lose the ability to adjust caster, which can give you a little more steering. As for the Quickturn, they aren't for everybody. I've seen too many people buy them, and turn around and sell them a couple weeks later, because they didn't like the way it handled. That alone is almost $400 in upgrades that won't do anything to make a truck faster, if the driver can't get it around the track.