Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

What makes a truggy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 11:33 PM
ProfitOfDoom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What makes a truggy?

Im just looking inot new rc's
I was looking at that new hellfire,,now it says its a MT,,,but everyone seems to call it a truggy.And going buy looks I would say it looks trugish myself.
But I see alot of people making truggies,So is it basically a 1/8th buggy with MT wheels,and trtuck body? I dont see whats different?
Old 02-01-2006, 11:44 PM
oc off road

Default RE: What makes a truggy?

Pan chassis and center diff
Old 02-02-2006, 08:47 AM
maxximum_overdrive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

truggy has become the genaric term used to describe a "low chassis" monster truck. in the beginning truggies were all 1/8 scale buggies with some mods for wider suspension arms, big tires. and a truck body. now the term refers to any truck that is based off of a low chassis design, (meaning that the chassis is bolted to the bottom of the bulk head rather than the top), and was for the most part designed spacifically for racing. not to say that they can't be bashed. because they can be, they are just better suited for the track than a taditional monster, i.e.: t-maxx, savage, tnx...............you get the picture.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:07 AM
plaidfish

truggy has more to do w/ the center tranny being replaced w/ a diff than the chassis position.....it's the driveline type that give them an advantage....you can't yank the wheels off the ground like a true MT and it keeps all 4 wheels planted and gives better traction.......
Old 02-02-2006, 05:18 PM
Blackhawk4
My Feedback: (1)

to make this simple
1/8th scale truggy=racing
1/10th or 1/8th MT= Racing+Bashing
Old 02-03-2006, 08:53 AM
maxximum_overdrive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it doesn't necessarily refer to drive line...................the mammoth st is considered a truggy, and it doesn't have a center diff. any combination of buggy like features will turn any truck into a truggy. not to say that if a replaced the trans in my t-maxx with a center diff that i would call it a truggy though. i would call it a t-maxx with a center diff...................hummmmmm, that gives me an idea..........anyway this debate could go on for ever. if you go by ROAR rules a standard mt must have the engine mounted X inches (i think it is 1.5, but don't quote me on that) above the loest part of the chassis, usually the skid plates. if the engine is any lower than that it is considered an unlimited (truggy) truck.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:44 AM
plaidfish

ORIGINAL: maxximum_overdrive

it doesn't necessarily refer to drive line...................the mammoth st is considered a truggy, and it doesn't have a center diff. any combination of buggy like features will turn any truck into a truggy. not to say that if a replaced the trans in my t-maxx with a center diff that i would call it a truggy though. i would call it a t-maxx with a center diff...................hummmmmm, that gives me an idea..........anyway this debate could go on for ever. if you go by ROAR rules a standard mt must have the engine mounted X inches (i think it is 1.5, but don't quote me on that) above the loest part of the chassis, usually the skid plates. if the engine is any lower than that it is considered an unlimited (truggy) truck.
Good info...I haven't read th eROAR regs on them yet....last year there were alot of this question on a few forums and it seemed more racers were leaning to the Center Diff being the key factor of a truggy...I guess ROAR spelled it out finally....
BTW I have a center Diff in my maxx and a lower chassis..it is definatley a truggy that will be a contender this year at my track.....I hope...LOL....

I wouldn't consider the Mammoth ST a truggy though.....I guess there will be the occasional oddities in every class