Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

I have read till I am blue in the face!! OS .18TM or RB TM323

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

I have read till I am blue in the face!! OS .18TM or RB TM323

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 09:17 AM
psrumors
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have read till I am blue in the face!! OS .18TM or RB TM323

I know this has been asked, compared, sliced, diced and trampled on but I am having a hard time deciding. My 2.5r out of my Revo is going into my son's Stampede, it's the cheapest quickest way to get it running again (Hey, the wife bought it).

With that said, I will either be buying the OS or the RB. I have read all the archives and it seems both are excellant engines. Both are easy to tune and hold a tune. Everyone that has one likes it and thinks it's the best (sounds like other arguments going on around here). The OS is MT legal for racing, the RB has to be run unlimited.

The only thing I can find that gives either one an advantage is the weight. The OS weighs 233g and the RB weighs in at 305g. That's a 30% difference. I am not sure which way the advantage swings. I have removed my easy start for a pull start which will stay that way. I have gone to a single servo steering system with the servo on the right side. I don't have a scale, but the extra weight of the RB may bring it right back in line for balance. Guess I need to get a scale.

Can anyone give me any other deciding factors? I know the RB has more power, I know the OS should wind up faster. What am I missing? I am not currently racing but the LHS is going to start races this spring and I plan to participate. Till then it will be bashing. I don't care if I run unlimited or MT.

HELP!!!!!

Thanks
Ron
Old 02-02-2006, 09:34 AM
beelzebubishere
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: I have read till I am blue in the face!! OS .18TM or RB TM323

Personally, I like OS....... http://nitroobsession.proboards79.com/index.cgi but you'll nee a good pipe too.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Deandome

Why on earth do you think the OS would give you a faster truck? MAYBE quicker, but it's got substantially more HP, I believe (RB doesn't release figures!), and that will more than compensate for the weight diff. It should kill the OS in top speed, if geared properly (vs. the OS with optimal gearing, too!!)

Figure in it comes w/a pipe, header & engine mount, and it ends up being a better deal.

And the orange head ROCKS!!
Old 02-02-2006, 12:22 PM
d2cs2mdw
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

I have the O.S. 18 TM in my Revo, I have had no bad experiences in the past or now, O.S. is a great engine, some will tell you diffrently but the TM in my Revo haul's a**...

Mason
Old 02-02-2006, 12:25 PM
psrumors

ORIGINAL: Deandome

Why on earth do you think the OS would give you a faster truck? MAYBE quicker, but it's got substantially more HP, I believe (RB doesn't release figures!), and that will more than compensate for the weight diff. It should kill the OS in top speed, if geared properly (vs. the OS with optimal gearing, too!!)

Figure in it comes w/a pipe, header & engine mount, and it ends up being a better deal.

And the orange head ROCKS!!

I don't, but I think the OS will wind up faster due to it's smaller displacement. Am I wrong, usually smaller motors will wind out faster. Does not mean the truck will be going faster.

Make sense?
Old 02-02-2006, 12:56 PM
CHAVAN30

neither, get a sirio .23 or a werks picco p2 .26 and go beat truggies, mt's, whatever.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Deandome

I know the OS should wind up faster
You meant REV up faster...I take wind up to mean "at the end, it will be faster". Semantics...we said the same thing, th OS might be quicker off the line.

The Picco .26 IS something to consider, but IMO, the Sirio is just a lot more expensive than the RB (over $150) when you figure in the fact you need to go out & get a high-performance pipe AND an engine mount...that's just ridiculous! It ain't that much better than the RB, if it is at all!

BTW, at tower, they have a Sirio .23 for the REVO @ $259, but the T-maxx version is $309!!! they look a little different...maybe the Maxx version comes w/the mount. but still, this is odd!
Revo: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKHF5&P=7
T-Maxx: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHPE7&P=7
Old 02-02-2006, 02:45 PM
RevoAddict

Are you guys aware that RB TM323 is very much cheaper than an O.S. .18 TM?

SHOP EBAY AND THESE WHAT I CONCLUDED:

RB CONCEPT TM323 .23
COST : $239.95 SHIPPED NEW IN PACKAGE
PACKAGE CONTAINS:

Engine
Engine Mount (REVO)

Exhaust Manifold (REVO)
Exhaust

O.S. .18TM
COST : $219.00 + SHIPPING NEW IN PACKAGE

Engine
Engine Manifold (REVO/TMAXX)

Engine Mount and Exhaust from RB will cost you about $50-$100 which means that the RB is almost $100 cheaper than the O.S. .18TM and RB TM323 is very much more powerful than the TM.

article taken from [link=http://www.valleynitro.net]Valleynitro.net[/link]
Old 02-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Deandome

Engine Mount and Exhaust from RB will cost you about $50-$100 which means that the RB is almost $100 cheaper than the O.S
You mean "Engine Mount and Exhaust from OS ", I think

And that's not true...the OS uses the stock mounts, Revo or T-Maxx. You don't need to buy one, here's an RCU article about it: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=549

Still, the RB IS a better deal on a more powerful engine. A high-end pipe is like $60-75.

Dean
Old 02-02-2006, 03:09 PM
CHAVAN30

ORIGINAL: Deandome

I know the OS should wind up faster
You meant REV up faster...I take wind up to mean "at the end, it will be faster". Semantics...we said the same thing, th OS might be quicker off the line.

The Picco .26 IS something to consider, but IMO, the Sirio is just a lot more expensive than the RB (over $150) when you figure in the fact you need to go out & get a high-performance pipe AND an engine mount...that's just ridiculous! It ain't that much better than the RB, if it is at all!

BTW, at tower, they have a Sirio .23 for the REVO @ $259, but the T-maxx version is $309!!! they look a little different...maybe the Maxx version comes w/the mount. but still, this is odd!
Revo: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKHF5&P=7
T-Maxx: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHPE7&P=7

DIFFERENT MOUNTS, BUT THAT IS A STRANGE COST DIFFERENCE.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:33 PM
RBd Revo

I have both the 18tm and tm323 in my two revo's and in every application, the tm323 wins hands down.

It may be personal preference or bias, but the tm323 is much easier to tune especially in Sydney summers where temps fluctuate from a humid 42 degree celsius to a mild 22 degree celsius. The 18tm takes a lot more tinkering to get the tuning right.

As for power and perfomance, the 18tm requires a lot of weight reduction to get the best performance, whilst a tm323 will propel the stock revo without any dramas.

If you were dedicated to racing only then I would say the 18tm simply because you would normally do the weight mods and fuel economy would also be a consideration.

SInce you are both racing and bashing, then the tm323 will be your best friend. Word is RB are releasing a new revo RB (tm523) in march but I'm wondering if this will simply be a 323 with a 9 port sleeve aka sirio .23 sleeve. Either way the 323 is more than enough for racing (sometimes to much but nothing a gearing/slipper adjustment won't fix).
Old 02-02-2006, 06:26 PM
RenegadeRevo

Since I have also had experience with both (now that I've helped put an OS .18tm on my friend's Revo and ran it) For racing applications, I give props to the OS .18tm. Reasons are as follows: #1 - If they separate classes by engine size, the OS .18tm will still be in the small block MT class. #2 - I have raced my TM323-powered Revo with 16/36 gearing and it is VERY difficult to control.... throttle control is a MUST.

I find that the TM323 is the better value. It is more HP for less $$. As it has been stated, the TM323 comes with engine, mount, header, and pipe as a complete package for $238 shipped (Ace Hobbies). The OS .18 does not come with a pipe, and it's $219 (LHS). The TM323 is more powerful than the OS .18tm, also.

If I were going to race with the TM323, I would get a 17t clutchbell... some REALLY sticky tires, and a radio with progressive throttle control... if setup correctly, the TM323 could be a great race engine on the Revo... but, it takes a little more than the OS .18tm to get it there.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:14 PM
psrumors

Thanx for all the info guys. I ended up buying the RB this evening. It will be here tomorrow. I ended up with the RB for one reason, it's weight. We went out bashing today and since I had removed the extra weight from the left (servo, ez start) the truck seemed to want to go right, on the ground and in the air. I know it wont make up for much but it will help, plus all that POWER, RRRRRRR.

I will let you all know how it goes. My brother was headed out to buy the OS so I will be able to do a side by side myself.

Thanx again
Old 02-02-2006, 09:34 PM
bandi

I have 2 revos... one stock, and one I put a picco .26max in it... I see a monsterous difference between the two revo when me and my son go out to the pits driving them...

Running the picco, it allow you to use the revo starter setup still... and comes with the header pipe for the stock revo tuned pipe...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ofna-26-Picco-Ma...QQcmdZViewItem

$176.99 + $9.99 Shipping and for $15 more, they will ship you the engine mount you need too...

That's where i got mine from anyways...
Old 02-03-2006, 06:39 PM
rockNroll=ASP=

You like blue or orange?
Old 02-04-2006, 03:59 AM
droblyer

Hi all, first post here! Not trying to hijack thread but does anyone have any experience with the os 18 TZ compared to the tm323? I know the TZ isn't exactly a drop in but not to difficult.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:41 AM
gtsum

Good j ob on the RB - I have had both in the revo in the past - the RB is quite a bit more powerful (not even close actually!). Watch the backplate and the bushing though...mine went out after 2 gallons
Old 02-04-2006, 09:39 AM
BlackFox

Great post, I've been wondering the same thing about a new engine for my Maxx. I think I am leaning torwars the RB even more now.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:42 AM
psrumors

ORIGINAL: gtsum2

Good j ob on the RB - I have had both in the revo in the past - the RB is quite a bit more powerful (not even close actually!). Watch the backplate and the bushing though...mine went out after 2 gallons
What do you "watch for"? Is the back plate coming loose or what?
Old 02-04-2006, 06:29 PM
gtsum

Mine started leaking like crazy from the back plate. The bushing was shot - never could get it to tune right after that....while it lasted, it was a very good engine though!
Old 02-04-2006, 08:50 PM
snoking16

the TM 323 is the best engine you can put in a revo......IMO and my opinion is the best!!!
Old 02-04-2006, 09:53 PM
psrumors

Well, I am 2 tanks into the break-in and can already tell this should be fun. I hope the rain holds out tomorrow and can finish the break-in.