Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Digital servo "hitec hs-5645" ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 01:43 PM
ProfitOfDoom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital servo "hitec hs-5645" ?

Im getting ready to order this servo it has metal gears and its digital.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUZ80&P=7
I just wanted to know about the digital.I have a JR XS3 radio,im sure it would work with that,but right now I still have my stock traxxas radio gear in the maxx,Just wanted to know if the digital will work with regualr radio gear?
Also I see these digital servo programable units there like hundreds of dollars,,These arnt need to operate a digital servo is it?
Im kinda looking just to plug and play
Old 02-04-2006, 01:52 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Digital servo "hitec hs-5645" ?

I have that same servo with the JR XS3 radio and receiver in my CEN MT2. It works great. I have not upgraded my Revo yet, but the combination works great in my MT2. I did not do anything special for it, just plugged it in, centered my steering arm and adjusted my steering trim.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:05 PM
ProfitOfDoom

Is it fast enough?
Or is it real slugish?
Old 02-04-2006, 02:10 PM
alvinl

I don't race, so it is fast enough for me. If I raced, I would honestly probably get a faster one with maybe a little more torque. If you put two of them on the Revo, it might be pretty good though. Maybe someone has used it on a Revo or races and can give you a better answer, sorry.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:27 PM
DaveG55

Have you upgraded your battery pack yet? I've heard the digital servos are even more power hungry than the normal hi torque servos. Maybe Alvinl coud prove/disprove that????
Old 02-04-2006, 02:32 PM
REVOlution-05

The power consumption for digital servos is alot higher than a standard servo because the servo, depending on the type and manufacturer, will work so-many times per second to ensure it is at the right position to ensure it matches up with the input from the receiver.

Definately look at a bigger power pack for the truck.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:40 PM
alvinl

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

Have you upgraded your battery pack yet? I've heard the digital servos are even more power hungry than the normal hi torque servos. Maybe Alvinl coud prove/disprove that????
Absolutely! I forgot to mention that. Your runtimes will decrease. I was also told the digital servos will burn out really fast if your steering maxes out before the servo has reached it's max. In other words, if the servo pushes the steering until it hits another part and stops but is still trying to turn it further, it will burn out really fast. I have not experieced this, but it was a word of warning from my LHS owner.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:01 PM
ProfitOfDoom

So you guys think Digital is worth it,,Or should I just stick to standard,Im gonna buy a receiver apck anyway so thats not a prob,,but I dont want to spend 60 bux and have to replace it a couple of months down the road?
Old 02-04-2006, 03:22 PM
DaveG55

I've never seen any advantage in the digitals for just bashing. I put a hitec 645mg on my Savage and it has done very well for me. I then moved the stock steering servo to the throttle brake. It's a power hungry set up but the hump pack handles it well and I've got great throttle and brakes (and can have a stiff throttle return spring) and much better steering.
But, since I've not used a digital servo, I don't have anything to compare it to except the stock set up.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:29 PM
ProfitOfDoom

Yea im gonna be racing,,and bashing,,,but I use a 90oz standard servo now and did me well,more torque would be nice but other then that it was fine.
So what you guys thingk would you need digital for off road,,or is that more of an on road thing?
Old 02-04-2006, 04:07 PM
ProfitOfDoom

Well Its ordered...Its only 55 bux,if its no good or not good enough I can always put it in the Emaxx for yard bashing,Oe just Ebay it
Ill let you guys know how it is in 3-5 days
Old 02-04-2006, 05:30 PM
Haulin bass

Ouch $55 wish I would have seen this thread earlier but great hobbies sells them for $46canadian($39-40US) and they ship to the US no problem.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:21 PM
ProfitOfDoom

Damn yea that woulda helped,I did a google comparison thign and they were all around 50.
But Ill keep them in mind later ,Thanks