Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Picco 26 Max....the DARK SIDE....

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 11:22 AM
lebda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Picco 26 Max....the DARK SIDE....

Kliff...sorry, I forgot to ask.
How is the extra head gasket making the engine run cooler. I would think all it is doing is creating more separation between the engine block and the head. If this is so, the engine would be at the same 'high' heat and the head would not be getting that transfer of heat (which is what you want for cooling). So what I would think is the temp gauge is getting a false engine temp and getting a cooler head temp instead. And the head is doing a worse job of pulling the heat out of the engine block because there is less heat transfer. In other words, our temp readings may be 250deg, but the engine block may still be creating 280deg which would diminish engine life without us knowing it.

Sorry...physics courses coming into play here....tell me I'm wrong.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:42 AM
beelzebubishere
My Feedback: (1)

Head gaskets are made of copper(at least on THESE engines), so heat transferrance is NOT a problem. What you are dong is lowerring the compression, to control(eleiminate) pre-igition(bad) and promote a controlled burn of the fuel.

Oh, yeah...you're wrong. Take a few courses on internal combustion engine design and operation....then you'll be able to apply those physics classes properly.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:03 PM
mosavage

nice head
Old 04-03-2006, 01:27 PM
lebda

I don't think that education on internal combustion engine design would help any unless it was a course on RC car nitro motors which I dought they offer. These motors are as different as all gettup' from a normal combustion engine. Otherwise I would cause more separation between the block and head on my V8 or 2-stroke motorcycle to reduce heat hence more power. Dudn't work that way. Only the kiffmeister with experience in nitro would know and prove wrong.

Anyways, I agree on the extra gasket stuff for my Picco so I will be getting one.
Thanks for the info!!
Old 04-03-2006, 01:43 PM
ncbasher

This is a great thread. Thanks guys for answering all my rediculous questions. Unless i can think of some other ?'s, i guess all that is left to do is get me a Picco!
Old 04-03-2006, 03:00 PM
beelzebubishere

You'd be surprised....I've made my living working on engines, frm these little boogers, to RR locomotive deisels, EMD, and just about everything in between for over 35years. And yes, many different engies are offerrd with different thickness head gaskets, as a cheap and quick way to alter compression ratio, but as most engines are water cooled nowadays and thermostatically contolled, noticeable temp difference are all but non existant.....back in the day of the aircooled 2 stroke dirt bike, we did alter compession with thicker head gaskets, for desert racing, and travellig into mexico....lower octane fuel....and sometimes w'd use thinner head gaskets to maintain an OEM C.R. when installing thicker base gaskets to alter port tming....
Now see what ya done....got an ole man ramblin' about the past....dammit.....those were some fun days.
ORIGINAL: lebda

I don't think that education on internal combustion engine design would help any unless it was a course on RC car nitro motors which I dought they offer. These motors are as different as all gettup' from a normal combustion engine. Otherwise I would cause more separation between the block and head on my V8 or 2-stroke motorcycle to reduce heat hence more power. Dudn't work that way. Only the kiffmeister with experience in nitro would know and prove wrong.

Anyways, I agree on the extra gasket stuff for my Picco so I will be getting one.
Thanks for the info!!
Old 04-03-2006, 04:25 PM
lebda

You da man kliff!

I'll try to post more after I tune.

Lovin' the Picco!
Old 04-06-2006, 10:29 PM
lebda

Simply unreal!!! I ran another two tanks today and it was my first time to tune after break in. UNBELIEVABLE! How could anyone want more....and I am 'the best of everything' freak. The CVEC pipe is awsome. I squeezed the blue turndown onto the tip at first to keep it clean. But as I was riding a wheelie all the way into second gear it flew off. Wow, the sound without it is amazing. Instead of a higher pitch bee, it is a torquee humb as if you can feel the ground thumping.

Let me give you non-darksiders an example of the power. In the dirt at about 15-20 mph it has fliped (not wheelied) over back and slapped the roof so hard it spring back onto it's wheels and kept going. Also, at any speed if you are in a controled slide both inside tires are completely disced to a sharp edge. And it will ride a wheelie when it shifts into second gear.

Any more low end torque and the tires will not grab and it won't accelerate.
Any more top speed and your eyes won't be able to follow it. (and I thought I needed 42,000 rpm's)

All at 250 degrees.

Definately the best motor!

I melted the clutch after 2 tanks so the aluminum Nova's are on it's way. Also, extra head gasket and 30% nitro on deck.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:27 AM
Hoese37

i need a new piston sleeve for mine. before i got my temp gauge, i ran it and it would not shift into 2nd.i didnt realize this until i got my Venom smart temp.i set it so at 290 it wouls kick into overheat mode. it would run for about 2 mins before the fail safe kicked in. with the failsafe id see temps of 335, so im sure that before i got it, it was at least 400. but the only piston sleeve i see is for the .26 picco bigblock which is a 7port. the stock picco .26 max is a 3 port. where do i find the right one?
Old 04-07-2006, 06:22 AM
dirtsquirt

I got my .26MAX new for $115 off ebay and just finished breaking it in and am loving it in my revo! I'm a novice so the tuning has been a challenge but I finally nailed it down. I found when I wrapped my black lsn with teflon tape (thread tape) it vastly improved performance.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:23 PM
dougman51

I just broke my max in today and bashed for a while. This engine is unbelievably easy to tune, it holds a tune well and has lots of power, what pipe are any of you guys using, i think a better pipe would help get some more power out of this thing.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:23 PM
thunder_3918

I recently bought one for my Maxx but haven't got to play with it yet. Any recommendations on fuel and what parts i should beef up so i don't shread it to pieces? Its stock now except for a metal RR spur gear.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Knotmaster

All the good news and prays about this engine gets me goin. I cant wait till mine gets here!!!
Old 04-13-2006, 07:23 AM
beelzebubishere

Heeehhhhaahhaa.....welcome another to the jungle of the Dark Side.......LMAO!
ORIGINAL: Knotmaster

All the good news and prays about this engine gets me goin. I cant wait till mine gets here!!!
Old 04-13-2006, 09:59 AM
hexter19

Wow, I am glad that you are having a good experience with your Picco 26 max. My experience is not so good. I am going to start a new thread because I dont want to hijack this one. I will head it PROBLEMS WITH MY PICCO. Plaese look at the thread and give me any advice you may have. I don't want to give up on this lemon...er uh engine.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:53 PM
Knotmaster

I finaly got my .26 today in the mail . broke it in and blam! instent power. Oh and kliff I might sound dumb but what exactly what is the bell of the header? Might be a dumb question!
Old 04-15-2006, 06:26 AM
beelzebubishere

Not dumb....if you cut the tie wraps, and separate the muffler and header at the silicone joint, you'll see the "bell." Do NOT cut on, or modify that header while it is attached to the engine. Cutting produces buches of metal debris.....don't want that in the engine. Cut, file, clean OFF the engine....then put it all back together.
Congrats on the Picco......good choice!
ORIGINAL: Knotmaster

I finaly got my .26 today in the mail . broke it in and blam! instent power. Oh and kliff I might sound dumb but what exactly what is the bell of the header? Might be a dumb question!
Old 04-23-2006, 12:32 AM
Knotmaster

Is any one els runing 20% i there .26. If so what are your temps on a normaly warm day(like around 65 to 75 out side)
Old 04-23-2006, 05:00 AM
dirtsquirt

I run 20% in mine and it runs around 250 deg. It has tons of power!
Old 05-19-2006, 01:01 PM
broncojd

Is it too late to revive this post???

I searched and searched for the right upgrade engine. My brother has a .21 picco max that was included when he bought his truck. My 2.5r could keep it reasonable in close quarters, but he'd burn me in a straight line. So, I had to upgrade. And, being the sucker for excess that I am, I was gonna go BIG. I checked out the RB 323 then found the 523. REALLY considered that, but seemed to suck too much gas from what I could find. Then considered the OS 18, but that wasn't big enough. I'm not gonna race, I wanna bash. Big block was a possibility, but for the price and convenience, I couldn't pass the Picco .26 Max...AH YES...the dark side...

IT IS AWESOME!! Forget wheelies from a dead stop, that's easy. I have popped wheelies when it shifts to second! I have the wide ratio gear and right now a 15/38 gearing combo. I have a 36T spur that I will try soon. I am using the Trinity HiFlo pipe. Sounds great...loud but not too loud. Only bummer is that with the excessive compression I fried my one way bearing pretty quickly. I am using the easy start b/c it's too EZ not to.

Gas mileage is pretty good right now. I haven't really finished breaking it in yet, I'm on about 8 or 9 tanks. The guys at my LHS suggested (and i took the advice) the RB #8 plug. I'm running 20% fuel.

Compared to the 2.5R, there is no comparison....

What weight of Differential oil do you guys use?

PEACE
Old 05-24-2006, 11:11 PM
infernalstone

This engine sounds mighty tasty. But is it controllable? I'm looking for something to race...this almost sounds like too much motor. But, so much power, and such a nice price. Can this motor be safely detuned? Forgive my lack of knowledge, I'm still new to the nitro thing. I don't know how toned down you can run these motors before it actually becomes bad for the engine.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:59 AM
beelzebubishere

Old 05-25-2006, 09:23 AM
infernalstone

Well, it sounds like you guys are yanking the front end off the ground when it shifts. It sounds like it's more power than is even usable. I'd hate to try and pass a guy and flip over on my lid.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:31 AM
beelzebubishere

[X(]
Old 05-25-2006, 11:42 AM
broncojd

well, i don't know if it's "too much" power...but it certainly is a ton of power. i kinda dig excess in situations such as this. however, it is a challenge to learn to control it. i don't have any interest in racing. i don't spend enough money or time or care enough to be competitive. i hate to lose, and the guys i see race have a lot more stuff and spend a lot more time practicing. i do enjoy going to the track, though.

i have talked to number of people who suggest the os 18 for racing. tm, tz, dp, atm, whatever.... just an os 18. i don't have one, but from what i hear it's great b/c 1) good gas milage 2) good power. it's supposed to just be the bomb.

as far as ease of control...a properly tuned 2.5r can really haul butt and present a bit of a control problem if you aren't careful...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.