Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Clutch shoe installation.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 08:43 PM
KI6HNB
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch shoe installation.

Dumb question. What way do the shoes go on? Do they drag against the bell or are they jam against the bell? Pictures would be great if someone could post them. I have a Revo and am using the stock clutch. When I installed the clutch on my new motor I realized it could be installed two ways. Now I think I might have put it on backward. I feel so dumb.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:59 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Clutch shoe installation.

They sould barely touch the bell at all when installed properly if they are jammed the engine won't run unless you give it a load of gas and hold it off the ground and if they drag too much they will cause a stall at low rpm
Old 03-22-2006, 10:34 PM
tmaxx1701

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

They can be installed either way. I think in the Revo and T-Maxx they are installed in a trailing position (dragging on the clutch bell or the free end is behind the pivot end as the engine rotates) from the factory. This way will give you a little "softer" engagement of the clutch. This would be good for a slippery surface so you don't spin the tires easily. I have the stock shoes in my T-Maxx with a TRX2.5R in the leading position (jammed against the bell or the free end is in front of the pivot end) and the engagement is harder. I can lift the front off the ground on command. If you can find the April 2006 (with the LST2 on the cover) issue of RCCA, page 168 shows what I call the trailing position.

Bottom line... try it both ways and run it the way that fits your driving style.

I hope this made sense.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:00 AM
KI6HNB
My Feedback: (1)

Hmm. Ok it sounds like the position is not as important as I thought. Its just that I just installed my new Sirio .23 and it doesn't seem like it has the power I thought it should. Its not much faster than the 2.5R. I know I'm only on the 8th tank for this motor but I just thought it would be faster and was worried that I had the clutch in backward.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:43 AM
Timmahh
Banned

your clutch will grab better if you install them to kick out counterclockwise while looking at the engine from the clutch bell. that is, pull your cb. look at teh shoes. they should wing out and grab the bell with and INSIDE OPENING appearance, not the outside opening appearance. still work the otehr way, but has less overall BIT on acceleration.
hth
Tim