Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Took the plunge!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 09:35 AM
ewr101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took the plunge!!

well i went out and did it. i picked up a revo 3.3 on sunday. now the bank account is gone and the wife has steam coming out her ears!! but i think she'll be ok.

i do have a question about the break-in period. i started that afternoon but some things came up and i wasn't able to finish. being a newbie, i am using the traxxas recommended procedure and i made it thru the 3 rd. tank. that is when i had to stop. will starting back up on the fourth tank be ok? should i start over? and lastly will not be able to finish the break-in all at once damage or hurt the motor?

any and all replies are welcomed and thanks in advance!

i look forward to talking with all of you and running the hell out of this truck!!

EWR
Old 05-09-2006, 09:41 AM
flynvy5
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Took the plunge!!

did you finish tank 3 completely if so just go on to tank 4 and so on
Old 05-09-2006, 09:49 AM
ewr101

yeah i made it all the way thru tank 3. if i can start with tank 4 that would be great. i felt stupid driving up and down the street 30 to 40 feet at a time then braking to a stop, turn around and repeat. i have this bad *** new truck and all the neighbors and kids see me do is THAT? i know it's all part of the process but they don't and i thought that if i was them i would find it very funny looking!

so this won't hurt the motor any?
Old 05-09-2006, 10:36 AM
SharkDiver

You should be just fine.
Maybe you should let your wife finish the break in for ya,Or maybe for here it would just be called break it and get even.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:52 AM
ewr101

now that i have it she won't touch it because she's afraid to break it. LOL. she was all for it before she saw how much it cost but now she doesn't want to be responsible for breaking a $600 truck (that's including everything in the box and a starter kit that had fuel, cleaner, 2 extra glow plugs, misc. tools, fuel bottle ect. ect.) especially after all the grief she gave me. i could see the "$600 dollars?!?!? you got ripped off" replies coming so i just wanted to explain what all i got for the price.

i also thought of another question. if you want to just tell me to re-read the manuel that's fine but i can't do it right now as i'm suppost to be working and not online in the office but are the diffs. and transfer case filled from the factory with lube? i noticed that there was a bottle of silicon lube with the truck packing but i had so much going on sunday that i forgot to check the manuel for directions on that subject and went to breaking it in without checking them. i hate it when i do things like that. and not knowing is going to kill me all day until i get home.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:09 AM
gunnut

I don't have experience with a new revo 3.3-- My t-maxx diffs were lubed when I got it. So I would assume the same for a new revo. Good luck with that awesome truck! [8D]
Old 05-09-2006, 11:35 AM
GreenRacer
My Feedback: (3)

As far as breaking it, my wife was the same way at first. I just explained to her it IS going to break at various times but everything can be repaired or replaced and not to worry about it, just have FUN because that's exactly what it's for. Now she actually drives better than I do.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:38 PM
ewr101

she isn't afraid of as in scared. she's just seen how fast they are and doesn't think she can handle it. and that's great for me!!!!

i think she is relating it to my r/c helicopter. it is fully upgraded with cnc head and tail parts and has a headspeed of approx. 1900 rmp. with carbon fiber blades it even scares me sometimes. LOL

i just can't wait to pull the throttle all the way back and watch it go.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Brokethebank

Are you sure that is lube or could that be air filter oil or shock oil? My new Revo isn't here yet so I not sure what your talking about. I am not aware that traxxas sends diff oil with there new Revo's. Any how I went to the traxxas site and looked up what is included and the only oil is for the air filter. As far as worrying about having to fill your diffs there setup by traxxas should be fine. If that is diff oil then it would probably be a different weight. I hope that the new revo comes with diff oil or shock oil unfortunately I more then likely wont see mine until tomorrow or the next day[sm=disappointed.gif] but I think(don't quote me on this) it just air filter oil
Old 05-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Toxik

You should have gotten a little bottle of silicon oil for the shocks and a little bottle of red oil for the air filter
Old 05-10-2006, 10:29 AM
ewr101

you guys are correct. i got air filter oil and shock oil. i finished the break-in and noticed an oil leak that seemed to be coming from the exhaust pipe where it screws into the motor. the e-z start was in the way so i took it a part to check the exhaust manifold screws. they were a little loose so i tightened them up. after that i went over the whole truck and tightened up everthing i could see. i also had to adjust the steering servos and linkages to get them to center up with the trim pot on the tx. also had to repair the yellow wire for the e-z start. it came from traxxas with a gash in it. i just put some heat shrink on it. just some things i thought i would pass along.

now for another question. my revo seems to rev-up a little higher than i think it should before it starts to roll. now this could just be me being un familiar with nitro trucks as i am still a newbie. i don't know if i should try and adjust the clutch or just let it be for now. i don't want it to be slipping too much and burning up but i also don't want it too tight and flipping over backwards when everything is finally tuned in. what do you think?? and is there a tool or an easy way to get the glow plug wire off without damaging the insulation around the end?

P.S. i still have to do the final carb adjustment per the manuel(high speed needle low speed needle and idle. although it idles just fine right now but after the two needle adjustments it will need to be changed again.)

thanks

EWR
Old 05-10-2006, 06:16 PM
ewr101

anyone???
Old 05-10-2006, 08:57 PM
ewr101

help?!?!?!?
Old 05-10-2006, 09:22 PM
skytrekin
My Feedback: (4)

Check your slipper clutch.. It could be a little loose. Thats in the manual as well
Old 05-11-2006, 08:33 AM
Timmahh
Banned

i use a small pair of needle nose pliers to pull the glow wire off, its tight but. the yellow wire is GND on your ezstart system. so no need to heatshrink it closed as its a ground wire, but now you know.... at it should be screwed to the engine block on the other end....
the higher revs are prolly just due to needing to make some final carb adjustments... once your done with the break in, and the engine is tuned, your idle speeds should drop a bit...
Timmahh
Old 05-11-2006, 06:34 PM
ewr101

thanks skytrekin and timmahh. i'll the manuel and truck over again.

not having any experience first hand with one of these things i didn't want to mess it up any. i have this forum (free) and the lhs (20 per hr.) as resources so i will always try here first. thanks again!

p.s. got the pm and yes i did have to lower the idle alittle during break-in.

EWR