Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

cooling head question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 12:40 AM
a_vdk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling head question?

Is this statement valid about the use of 6061 verses 7075 aluminum? Just looking for opinions.

This is a bias quote by a manufactuer that uses 6061 to make cooling heads.

"There have been claims made by some dealers and manufactures of cooling head that 7075 Aluminum is a better material for cooling heads and I would like to clear that up for you. 7075 Aluminum is a very strong material, and it is also much heavier and denser than 6061, and that is why it should NOT be used for making cooling heads. Just think about it for a moment please, if you try to heat up a dense material like steel or even oil, it takes a long time for it to absorb the heat, and when you let it cool down it will take a long time for it to cool down too. So if you use it to make a cooling head, it will not absorb the heat from the engine fast enough, and when it finally does, it will take a long time for it to dispense that heat into the air. On the other hand, the 6061 Aluminum, is light weight and less dens than the 7075, so it will absorb the heat much faster and also dispense it to the air faster than the dense 7075 Aluminum. The second reason you should not use a 7075 Aluminum cooling head is that it is much stronger than your engine, and in case you flip your truck and hit the head, you will break your engine, which is much more expensive than your cooling head."

The manufacturer using 7075 has no comment.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:50 AM
Smokieflame

Default RE: cooling head question?

Yes, saying a thicker heavier metal will disapate heat better is just plain stupid lol. Next they will be trying to biuld airplanes out of lead lol. Why do some poeple put zip ties on there heads tho?
Old 05-10-2006, 01:23 AM
SharkDiver

What he said makes perfect sence.The 6061 would be better.

People use zip ties on there heads so when the truck flips over it will not scrach the head as much.

Shark
ORIGINAL: a_vdk

Is this statement valid about the use of 6061 verses 7075 aluminum? Just looking for opinions.

This is a bias quote by a manufactuer that uses 6061 to make cooling heads.

"There have been claims made by some dealers and manufactures of cooling head that 7075 Aluminum is a better material for cooling heads and I would like to clear that up for you. 7075 Aluminum is a very strong material, and it is also much heavier and denser than 6061, and that is why it should NOT be used for making cooling heads. Just think about it for a moment please, if you try to heat up a dense material like steel or even oil, it takes a long time for it to absorb the heat, and when you let it cool down it will take a long time for it to cool down too. So if you use it to make a cooling head, it will not absorb the heat from the engine fast enough, and when it finally does, it will take a long time for it to dispense that heat into the air. On the other hand, the 6061 Aluminum, is light weight and less dens than the 7075, so it will absorb the heat much faster and also dispense it to the air faster than the dense 7075 Aluminum. The second reason you should not use a 7075 Aluminum cooling head is that it is much stronger than your engine, and in case you flip your truck and hit the head, you will break your engine, which is much more expensive than your cooling head."

The manufacturer using 7075 has no comment.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:28 AM
Timmahh
Banned

there are some points to useing thicker denser metal like 7075, yes it will take a bit longer to pull the heat, and a bit longer to disapate said heat. BUT... in the world of nitro, this could be a hidden bonus.... optimal temps i think all would agree is 260ish, not much below 245, but not over 275. you engine will run much better and preform more efficiently AND be more consistant when in this heat range... haveing a bit more dense metal, COULD< I REPEAT, COULD help hold that consistant temperatures better ONCE you are properly tuned up.... but then again, you could stick with a good aftermarket 6061 head, like an AcncM Cooling head, and go to 30%, which should if properly set up, and engind is ok, run cooler anyways. if someone could get a consistant 250 temp. the thing would be a MONSTER, for whatever size engine it is.
jm2c
Timmahh
Old 05-10-2006, 09:59 PM
a_vdk

So 7075 could be beneficial in disipating more heat than 6061? I have to use 33% do to my low humidity 7500 ft. high altitude and in order to keep my 3.3 running I need to run at temps between 270-280 deg.

A lower temp. would make a big difference. Choosing the proper head is critical.

Thank you for your responses.

The comparison is between the the ACNCM and the NOVA PRO.

http://www.novarcproducts.com

http://www.acncm.com
Old 05-10-2006, 10:21 PM
lax195
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: a_vdk

So 7075 could be beneficial in disipating more heat than 6061? I have to use 33% do to my low humidity 7500 ft. high altitude and in order to keep my 3.3 running I need to run at temps between 270-280 deg.

A lower temp. would make a big difference. Choosing the proper head is critical.

Thank you for your responses.

The comparison is between the the ACNCM and the NOVA PRO.

http://www.novarcproducts.com

http://www.acncm.com
I was just about to say are you comparing ACNCM to Nova... haha. I have owned about 4 Nova cooling heads in the past and I just ordered an ACNCM one for my Picco .26 Max. I am going with ACNCM theory on this one, I also like theirs because they are half the price of Nova's
Old 05-11-2006, 12:14 AM
Toxik

Material / Density

Aluminum (6061) 2.6-2.9

Aluminum (7075-T6) 2.6-2.9

The density of the 2 types of Aluminum are the same. The heat dissipation of the 2 are the same. Aluminum has an advantage of gathering the heat and dissapating it quickly. The only difference would be the manufacturers thickness of material. The thicker the material the longer it will hang on to it. That is why they have cut so many fins in the cooling head instead of one big block of aluminum.
7075 Aluminum is considerably more expensive as is was designed and used for the aircraft industry, and the added strength is not necessary. Now 7075 for wheels would be better as it is not as maliable as 6061.
Also if you hit the cooling head hard enough with 6061 aluminum your going to do the same amound of damage as the force is transfered to the block just the same.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Timmahh
Banned

no the 7075 will not disipate heat better than 6061, but as noted, it seems HOLDS the heat better, getting more consistant temps around that 250 mark and HOLDING IT, COULD be imporved. it really depends on your tuning, and the heads ability to loose extra heat if you have it. THERE are ALOT of variables in this, BUT, if things in the world are right then it should work....

30% nitro should cool you down autiomatically over 20%... if your running around 275 280 on 20%, then switch to 30%, you should loose about 20* or a bit more by going to 30%.. ONCE YOUR PROPERLY TUNED on 30%. now say your 6061 head does a good job loosing heat, and now your temps are a bit low at 225. the 7075 aluminum head would now help bring some temps up a bit to the 250 area, which your nitro engines will be most effeciant and power produciton will be near peak.
see?
with a bit of caluclation, and info you get from running, you can get things just about as right as they can get.
Timmahh
Old 02-13-2009, 12:46 PM
etb5005

The 7075 should dissipate heat better. The reason that they use the stronger material is that it allows them to make the fins thinner without the fear of them breaking off. It's actually the increased surface area, not the type of material, that increases the cooling ability of the head. This is why their heads should cool better.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:53 PM
kersplat

ORIGINAL: etb5005

The 7075 should dissipate heat better. The reason that they use the stronger material is that it allows them to make the fins thinner without the fear of them breaking off. It's actually the increased surface area, not the type of material, that increases the cooling ability of the head. This is why their heads should cool better.
The 7075T6 aluminum is a more brittle alloy than 6061 T6, therefore it would allow more chipped fins than 6061 T6 which is slightly more maleable
Old 02-13-2009, 01:01 PM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

7075 is better because of what etb said. Both materials have the same heat dissapation but 7075 can be thinner with the same strength as a thicker peice of 6061. Yes it is more brital but how many fins have you broke off your head?

Old 02-14-2009, 10:28 PM
kersplat

ORIGINAL: fabrimacator21

7075 is better because of what etb said. Both materials have the same heat dissapation but 7075 can be thinner with the same strength as a thicker peice of 6061. Yes it is more brital but how many fins have you broke off your head?

The top two. You can see the grain structure in the 7075 T6 is finer than the 6061 T6
Old 02-15-2009, 03:29 AM
Mr.SelfDestruct

ORIGINAL: Smokieflame

Yes, saying a thicker heavier metal will disapate heat better is just plain stupid lol. Next they will be trying to biuld airplanes out of lead lol. Why do some poeple put zip ties on there heads tho?

They use zip ties to keep their cooling heads shiney and new A broken or scratched up zip tie is a lot cheaper to replace than a cooling head that's been chipped or scratched to hell.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:01 AM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to put a small zip tie (or 6) through a short piece of fuel line to keep the head protected.