Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Old School Max! (Update?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 07:49 PM
ICE_MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old School Max! (Update?)

Hey guys,

Had a savge .21 (old school) way back when they first came out.. Drove it for a year and a half. then sold it and got into planes with a buddy.. The opportunity recently came to get a T-Maxx, old school pro 15, for $20!!! So I jumped on it, and a friend brought the truck by today, it has 6 tanks run through it EVER.. The only things needed are a transmitter, and EASY START.. But I have a friends 2.5 at my house right now, and I realize that the 2.5 is like an inch wider then the pro 15 truck.. Also, I haven't been able to start the pro 15 yet, but is it as reliable as the 2.5? It will run the whole tank without thinking about shutting off, don't remember what the old pro 15's run like. So I guess my question is, Is it worth it to change out the engine and suspension? And will the EASY START 2 fit the Pro 15? What else would you guys do to get this truck up to date? I cleaned it already, and everything, expect the Easy Start is in like new condition, But I haven't torn really into it yet.

I forgot how much I enjoyed the old mudhole, and ramp, while I was busy hucking it low
Old 05-17-2006, 08:19 PM
DaveG55

Default RE: Old School Max! (Update?)

Wow.......$20 is a steal!!!!!!!! You got one heck of a deal!!
The old Pro.15 Maxx is a fun truck. It won't even think about hanging with the 2.5r power and speed wise BUT it is a far more reliable, easier to tune engine.
The ez-start 2 works fine with any ez-start vehicle including your T-Maxx.
I changed out the Pro.15 on my Maxx for a 2.5r and wish that I had not. The 2.5 is a lot more finiky to tune and has, so far, been very prone to air leaks. It was also a more expensive choice as far as all that was needed for the change over than I anticipated. In hindsite the OS.18CV-RX(s) would have been a much better (and less expensive) choice but I wanted to keep the ez-start soooooo. I have not really had any trouble with the drivetrain though. The truck was much tippier but I put the RPM offset wheels on and that helped a lot.
In a lot of ways I wish I had left the Pro.15 on the truck and may in fact put it back.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:41 PM
sly2136

I had the older tmaxx as well I upgraded to the wider arms and newer shock tower design they offer it as an upgrade kit. as far as the motor i droped in o.s. .18 cvrx there under a 100 bucks and its all the power you would need and dependable
Old 05-18-2006, 03:47 PM
ICE_MAN

Cool thanks guys! Where's the upgrade kit (suspension) for the old maxx? Does it include everything that's needed? Like shock towers, and all arms, tierods etc? I think I'll keep the pro 15 in it until it needs to be rebuilt, then buy the O.S. 18. Unless it turns out I need more power to truck through the mud with. What else would you change? anything?
Old 05-19-2006, 09:07 AM
TMAXXMANN

Hi, I am selling parts for the 2.5 maxx that should fit the old school maxx. If u need any just let me know

ohh, and thanks for the advice for my XTM 457
Old 05-19-2006, 11:43 AM
sly2136

the kit traxxas offers has everything needed turn buckles,shocktowers, a-arms
Old 05-19-2006, 01:05 PM
cchrider

I have the tmaxx .15. My first truck. I got it with the burned up .15 but put a megatech .16. Deffinetly needs more power but it was go for learning how to tune and everything. As for the suspension and everything, they seem to work pretty good for me. I only bash around on my land, but the truck itself holds up really good. I did put RPM a arms on front. They are the standard length tho. I have learned to drive it with the narrower arms so It doesnt really bother me. yea man really good deal, enjoy it.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:37 PM
ICE_MAN

Thanks guys!

TMAXXMAN, sending you a PM!

Where can I find the conversion? The only one I found was at tower but it was just a conversion to put a 2.5 on the old chassis
Old 05-19-2006, 03:40 PM
TGreg24

ill sell you a complete set of proline a arms tmaxx a arms 2.5 chassis 1.5 chassis shock towers dynamite shocks maybe some tires a body air filter and a broken trx 2.5 Pm me
Old 05-19-2006, 04:33 PM
Puppy

I have had my first generation T-Maxx for about 6 or 7 years now.

Its still all completely original & still hella-fun to drive (even if it is a bit slow, a bit tipsy in corners, and alot more fragile than my Savage 25) but then again that's all a part of its charm.

That ancient, underpowered, Pro .15 still starts right up and is still running strong (never been rebuilt or replaced) & I could'nt even begin to count how many gallons I have through it at this point.

I am awful fond of mine just as it came out of the box & I probably will never upgrade it or sell it.

Old 05-19-2006, 04:58 PM
ICE_MAN

Tgreg24, What parts?

I worked on the max a little more! Got the motor, tranny, front, and rear ends pulled.. Checked it over and you can definately tell that it's only been driven a few times. After I went all through the engine, tranny, and diffs, I oiled everything back up, cleaned it all and reistalled it.. Now after I painted the exaust manifold and wheels flat back, you really can't tell its ever been out of the box! I'm going to try to get some pictures this weekend, but no promises. Also, I gather that the only thing keeping me from starting the beast, is that the easy start is missing the one way bearing. And of course no transmitter
Old 05-19-2006, 08:46 PM
TGreg24

proline a arms tmaxx a arms 2.5 chassis 1.5 chassis shock towers dynamite shocks maybe some tires a body air filter and a broken trx 2.5
^^ those parts

Old 05-20-2006, 09:01 AM
ICE_MAN

woops

Does the TRX 2.5 have an easy start 2 on it? I'd be interested in the EZ2
Old 05-20-2006, 01:57 PM
TGreg24

lol no ez1 sry.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:36 PM
ICE_MAN

What other options are there for starting this thing besides the EZ starts? Drill start? Pull start?

Got some more restoration work done! Cut out the grill and removed a bunch of stickers, so you can't tell it's a Ford.. Plus cutting out the grill should keep it cool and it may become where I'm going to put my snorkel.. I didn't know about this location because to me, driving straight into the water it would seem alot would come in through this opening.. So i need to find the best place to mount it..

I thought about bringing a hose up to the top of the cab, or some other (read better?) area of the truck, and sticking the stock airflilter on the end. But, the hose I have is the same diameter as the carb.. Will this rob alot of power? It would of course be easy to leave the breathing stock but, the way the engine/airfilter is place makes it suseptable to the tires throwing all kinds of water that way... Just ask my buddies 2.5 maxx! So where would you put the snorkel?
Old 05-21-2006, 01:05 PM
ICE_MAN

Well, After researching my starting options, looks like it's going to be a pull starter.. But for $17 I think it should include a one way bearing, which, I don't have, and can't find on Tower.. Besides the Pull start and one way, I need a transmitter. Which I found on EBAY with a reciever and Crystals for $22. But I have $500 left to go to finish up my Giant Scale Extra 300L, which will be finished (woohoo!) next week. After that I can get this thing running.

Anyone want a BRAND NEW, never Run, set of Stock T-MAXX Tires? They retail for $22 a pair, and that's without inserts... I'll sell all 4 and inserts for $40. If interested PM me!
Old 05-21-2006, 02:28 PM
Timmahh
Banned

ebay owb can be had from 5-10 bux with 2-3 ship
Timmahh
Old 05-21-2006, 05:09 PM
ICE_MAN

So I guess that the bearing for the 3.3 and 2.5 is the same one? Or are they different sizes?
Old 05-21-2006, 06:36 PM
smittty

hey im new to the r/c. i have a traxxas 2.5R that i got about a month ago. my pops got the 3.3 tmaxx right when it came out. my 2.5R runs awsome i can pull wheelies three times in a row in thick grass. but my dads had some major tuning problems with his 3.3. he cant ever get it to idle and has the low speed set to mine and the idle is close. once again im new to r/c so i have no clue. his set up is a 3.3 engine, and a dynamite one piece header and pipe. could you help us out??? thanks
Old 05-21-2006, 06:40 PM
ICE_MAN

On different engines, the actual number of turns on the low speed and High speed needles will never be the same. The tuning will be individual for each engine. But without it's symptoms I can't help much, try making a new post, and there will be more people help you out.