Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

EVX problem!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 06:37 PM
blackdogafd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVX problem!!!!!!

hey guys i gotta a problem on my brand new e-maxx.. I had it out this weekend and it does run right! I have new batts they are Epic 3000mAh batts and they are fully charged and when i run the truck it only runs for maybe 2-5 mins if that. then the truck slows down like the batts are dead and the batt are Hot as s@#$, and so is the EVX?! after that happens i stop the truck and check the batts on the charger and they read fully charged still.... When the truck was turned on it nutso in reverse and i have to recalibrate the evx like three times before it would run right?

Does this sound like its a problem with the EVX? if so i'll contact Traxxas and have them send me a new EVX!!! Please help guys
Old 05-28-2006, 10:04 PM
les_222

Default RE: EVX problem!!!!!!

What kind of charger are you using? Check the batteries with a voltmeter. The evx could be going bad. One time mine went dead after a 1ft jump.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:16 PM
blackdogafd

this is the charger im using.. and i checked the voltage with a voltmeter after this all happened.. I looking towards the EVX is shot
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44121.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	467891  
Old 05-28-2006, 10:43 PM
Infinite Gundam

No way the batteries can be that hot after a few minutes and yet still read fully charged. Based on what readings did you say that they were still fully charged?
Old 05-28-2006, 11:01 PM
blackdogafd

yes they were still basically fully charged still and they were hot to the touch after that short period of time too.. i even swapped out batteries to two new ones as well and the same thing happened they got hot after like less than 5 minutes. and still read close to 7.5.. volts? and both motors are fine they both are working properly!!! I think it is the EVX controller.... cause that thing gets hot too!. Im going to take it to my hobby shop on tues when their open and see if they can test the EVX.. I also emailed traxxas as well bout this. I know a few guys on here said that their EVX went out after a short time too!!!
Old 05-28-2006, 11:06 PM
Infinite Gundam

Fully charged batteries should read around 8.2V, 7.5V is close to being drained, my drained packs read around 7.4V unloaded.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:15 PM
blackdogafd

ok got that. now try this one.. the other packs that i used were the smc 3800 mAh and after those were done they both read 8.3-8.38volts on the meter.. and when i place new fully charged batts in the truck i only got like 2-5 minutes if that the truck is done it will barely move after that.. and i'm not hammering the throttle either!!
Old 05-28-2006, 11:19 PM
Infinite Gundam

What were the readings on those 3800 packs after your truck barely moved?
Old 05-28-2006, 11:20 PM
blackdogafd

they were both reading 8.38 and the other was at 8.37
Old 05-28-2006, 11:26 PM
Infinite Gundam

Impossible! A few minutes run will make them drop below 8V, no way they can read fully charged voltages! You have a problem reading voltages.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Kemo

easy on the guy ok? Do you have a volt meter other than the charger? hook it up to the pos and neg, tell us the reading.

We had a problem that was kind of similar, but it was the POS evx esc... she crapped out right after the warranty
Old 05-28-2006, 11:34 PM
blackdogafd

oh whoops sorry i thought you meant before runnin. read that wrong........

no after the 2-5 or minutes the batt read about 7.70 and 7.68 but the truck shouldnt just die after 2 minutes of running though!!! i had one good run that lasted almost over 25 minutes will some power to spare!!
Old 05-28-2006, 11:38 PM
blackdogafd

hey thanks kemo lol good to see your still on the forums havent seen ya on the redcat racing forums in awhile. i still have my himoto sylcone still but im getting a 3.3 revo here soon.. and the redcat will become my back up car..

and as far as the actual voltmeter goes i need to get mine back from my dad's
Old 05-28-2006, 11:44 PM
Infinite Gundam

Back to the 8.38V and 8.37V you were talking about, were they peaked readings or were they readings that you read when they have cooled down after charging? If it's the former, then your packs were definitely undercharged, which could explain the short run-time. I am asking all these so we can eliminate battery problems.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:56 PM
blackdogafd

with that charger i use when you run the peak charge the batt and then it hits slow charge what shoule be the correct voltage after that is done??

cause i believe that the batts read about 8.65 volts after they were done with the peak charge and after they cooled down.. now these are brand new batts so i do want to make sure that im not doing something wrong.... im so used to the nitros lol...

but now what about the batts being hot to the touch were u really cant touch them after two minutes and so is the EVX.??
Old 05-29-2006, 12:02 AM
Timmahh
Banned

my emaxx with 3000 mah batts fully charged i get a good 15 to 20 minutes before you really notice a big differance... and about 12 more minutes of good drain time.. then recharge. Call Traxxas anc chat to tehm about the issue...
hth
Timmahh
Old 05-29-2006, 12:08 AM
Infinite Gundam

with that charger i use when you run the peak charge the batt and then it hits slow charge what shoule be the correct voltage after that is done??

cause i believe that the batts read about 8.65 volts after they were done with the peak charge and after they cooled down.. now these are brand new batts so i do want to make sure that im not doing something wrong.... im so used to the nitros lol...
My GP3300's peak around 9V or higher, and cool down to around 8.2V.

ORIGINAL: blackdogafd
but now what about the batts being hot to the touch were u really cant touch them after two minutes and so is the EVX.??
Other than the batteries, you can check for drivetrain binding, especially if the spur and pinion gear mesh is too tight. With these two factors eliminated, the EVX must be the suspect!
Old 05-29-2006, 12:11 AM
blackdogafd

the batts seem to be ok in this matter and all the drivetrain parts are free and nothing is tight and no binding of any kind.. so hope fully traxxas will be opened tomorrow being memorial day out here that i can call and talk to..
Old 05-29-2006, 01:01 AM
Infinite Gundam

Opps... I forgot about the motors . Are they working good from what you can tell? Though unlikely that both motors will fail at the same time. Anyway I am sure traxxas can help you out.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:10 AM
blackdogafd

ORIGINAL: Infinite Gundam

Opps... I forgot about the motors . Are they working good from what you can tell? Though unlikely that both motors will fail at the same time. Anyway I am sure traxxas can help you out.
as fas as i can see the motors are working just fine!! i made sure i checked those out too..