Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

HOW DO U TUNE AN ENGINE?I DONT GET IT

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 09:48 AM
homeroFREAKINBRASILIAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW DO U TUNE AN ENGINE?I DONT GET IT

how do u do it or is it like cleaning it? im new to this and im gonna get the revo...(in about 2 months)and i wanna kno wut that means...........
Old 10-08-2006, 10:43 AM
rawkfist2

Default RE: HOW DO U TUNE AN ENGINE?I DONT GET IT

U will learn. It will rev really high when you let off the gas. Means its to rich. Temps go over 270 its to lean. Really easy. U will see. And nice choice of car.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Harvick

Actually tuning means different things, however I assume you mean tuning the engine. TUning and engine involves altering the air/fuel ration by turning the needles on the carb. Too rich is slow and can stall, too lean causes overheating and severe engine damage. What you are always looking for is the "perfect" in between. You judge tuning by different things, sound, performance, tempurature. For a newbie I recommend getting a engine temp gauge so that you are sure NOT to overheat your new engine. The sound and performance aspects of tuning will come with experience.

Tuning can also refer to shocks and suspension, which is mostly trial and error, to suit your driving style. none of which should cause and major damage to your truck. So I advise just try different settings and just look for what makes your truck handle how you want it to.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:42 PM
DaveG55

http://www.traxxas.com/
Go there and read, read, read.
They have every bit of documentation (and then some) that will come with whatever Traxxas vehicle you buy. They have lots of good info on maintaining, tuning, setting up, hopping up and lots of tips aand FAQ's.
Their fourms are pretty restrictive and lots of folks don't like them but their customer suppor is second to none. If you read all that they have on the Revo's, the engines, tuning and tips you'll be way ahead of the game when you get your truck.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:32 AM
stovepipe

Best thing to do for a beginner is go to the traxxas site, into the help dept. the will tell you basically anything you want to know about any kind of tuning.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Dil

its about getting that perfect ratio of air and fuel in to your cylinder to get the maximum combustion!!

too much air and little fuel = too lean
too much fuel and little air = too rich

the perfect setting is somewhere between theese too, when running too lean it is not good for the engine cos of low lubrication, and too rich means less heat and nitro engines need heat to run properly, so get it somewhere in between

you only have control of the fuel needles, u cannot control air intake,

so you basically have to get that perfect amount of fuel to burn off the air in the cylinder

trust me its not as complicated as it looks and you hear!!!

good luck, if i can offer you a little tip heat cycle your engine for the break in process, its gonna give you a longer lasting motor,
Old 10-09-2006, 12:21 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: Dil

its about getting that perfect ratio of air and fuel in to your cylinder to get the maximum combustion!!

too much air and little fuel = too lean
too much fuel and little air = too rich

the perfect setting is somewhere between theese too, when running too lean it is not good for the engine cos of low lubrication, and too rich means less heat and nitro engines need heat to run properly, so get it somewhere in between

you only have control of the fuel needles, u cannot control air intake,

so you basically have to get that perfect amount of fuel to burn off the air in the cylinder

trust me its not as complicated as it looks and you hear!!!

good luck, if i can offer you a little tip heat cycle your engine for the break in process, its gonna give you a longer lasting motor,
That's true with the Traxxas engines unless you want to make some serious. perminant mods. But, there are engines where you can change the sleeves/inserts in the carb throat to alter the amount of air that can enter the carb. The Sportwerks .26 is an example.

You're right abouut the tuning though, it's not all that after a bit of experernce.