Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

NO!!!! Running without air filter!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 08:18 PM
rawkfist2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO!!!! Running without air filter!!!!!!!!

I was outside running my maxx. Aprently the motor saver fell off. I was doing after run and noticed it was off and only the neck on my carb. So i ran out, found it in the grass with a flashlight cause its dark. I no for a fact it fell off at 1/2 tank left or more hten that becuase it was laying next to this huge branch that i remember hitting. What should i do to make sure my engine is ok. Theres hardly any dust or grime on my truck so it means it wasnt dirty where i was driving. Also, should i jsut spray WD 40 in it and leave it till i start her up and run it tomorrow? I could actually see the stars tonight. Which means chicago aint that dirty after all
Old 10-09-2006, 08:33 PM
lanerbrainer205

Default RE: NO!!!! Running without air filter!!!!!!!!

all you should do is put in some after-run or WD-40, do the traxxas way, and you should be good to go for tomorrow. the same thing happened to me a while ago except i drove it for about 30 mins before i noticed it was off.... scared the snot out of me, but it still runs so all is good
Old 10-09-2006, 08:58 PM
mrjerryk

Push the piston to the bottom and flush out the motor with WD-40 really good. Just to make sure there is not grit in the sleeve.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:17 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Take the entire engine apart, and flush it completely with a solvent, such as carb cleaner, and clean everything. Then put it back together, and spray it down with WD-40. And hope for the best is about it after that.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:23 PM
125cchyperman

ORIGINAL: lanerbrainer205

all you should do is put in some after-run or WD-40, do the traxxas way, and you should be good to go for tomorrow. the same thing happened to me a while ago except i drove it for about 30 mins before i noticed it was off.... scared the snot out of me, but it still runs so all is good
Are you serious. Come on if a small rock or piece of dirt got onto the piston and is still just sitting there and if you go to start it even after you put after run oil in it it could destro you engine.

If your smart you will tear the motor apart, not just put some afo in it or just put the piston to bdc and try and flush it. as This does nothing. tear the motor apart, get some nitro cleaner and spary down every part of the engine. Take the carb off and spray the carb nice and good along with the crankcase itself. Now that the motor is all torn apart might as well make the crankcase clean to. Make sure you get the bearing's rea; good as a small pebble or something bad could be hiding in there ad could tear up some things if you dont. Yes it may be more time comsuming then the others but 1 hour of your time and $10 dollars is a lot better then 1 hour of your time and having to spend $130 or more on a new engine.

Just because your truck is not dirty does not mean that no dirt has entered the carb and has done damage or will do damage. Get it before it bight's you in the butt. Dont let a little pebble kick your butt. Tear it apart and do it the right way.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:46 PM
DaveG55

Hyper and 125 are giving you the straight stuff. Do what you want but thats the only way ti be sure.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:07 PM
joey22

once again, leave it up to motor saver to screw up an engine, sorry, just had to point that out, but they are right, tear it apart, do it right.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:50 PM
mrjerryk

ORIGINAL: 125cchyperman

ORIGINAL: lanerbrainer205

Are you serious. Come on if a small rock or piece of dirt got onto the piston and is still just sitting there and if you go to start it even after you put after run oil in it it could destro you engine.

If your smart you will tear the motor apart, not just put some afo in it or just put the piston to bdc and try and flush it. as This does nothing. tear the motor apart, get some nitro cleaner and spary down every part of the engine. Take the carb off and spray the carb nice and good along with the crankcase itself. Now that the motor is all torn apart might as well make the crankcase clean to. Make sure you get the bearing's rea; good as a small pebble or something bad could be hiding in there ad could tear up some things if you dont. Yes it may be more time comsuming then the others but 1 hour of your time and $10 dollars is a lot better then 1 hour of your time and having to spend $130 or more on a new engine.

Just because your truck is not dirty does not mean that no dirt has entered the carb and has done damage or will do damage. Get it before it bight's you in the butt. Dont let a little pebble kick your butt. Tear it apart and do it the right way.
I stand corrected. I was just posting a quick fix but really you shouldn't take short cuts for this problem.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:57 PM
bennyblanco

if you wasnt running in dirt you have nothing to worry about i run my engine with out a filter but this is drag racing where there is no dirt!
but is nothing wrong with being safe if you have time just take it apart!!
Old 10-09-2006, 11:00 PM
PillowPants

ORIGINAL: mayhem maniac

Take the entire engine apart, and flush it completely with a solvent, such as carb cleaner, and clean everything. Then put it back together, and spray it down with WD-40. And hope for the best is about it after that.
pssht, dude he was running on flat/dry & clean land.. not the freakin sand dunes spray some WD40 in there and then pour it out and you'll be fine
Old 10-09-2006, 11:07 PM
89ram

i fly nitro planes and have watched other poeple fly nitro and gas planes from grass strips and old concrete/asphalt airport taxiways. i've even flown off a gravel road a few times. never once was anyone concerned with airfilters. sure, planes are only on the ground for a bit. now a trucks different because, atleast in my case, if i'm running it, there's a real good chance that SOMETHING is being thrown up by the tires. so after this ramble, my point, i guess, is to tighten the zip tie on your airfilter!
Old 10-09-2006, 11:46 PM
ScRacing

What about boats ? THey don't use air filters and they suck up water and there is sure to be dirt in there. I would flush the engine, but rock, you say it was clean, if it was clean then run hte risk and it will probubly help you out. But i am worried about you taring that engine apart and not getting it back to gether right.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:25 AM
NITROHOLICS ANONYMOUS

but with boats the water doesnt actually run through the engine, it just cools the head down, i am pretty sure.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:32 AM
mrjerryk

It's still not wise not to do anything to prevent something from happening. It's like saying well he jumped off the bridge so why can't I. All it takes is one piece of sand or dirt and the motor is done.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:46 AM
rawkfist2

What about boats ? THey don't use air filters and they suck up water and there is sure to be dirt in there. I would flush the engine, but rock, you say it was clean, if it was clean then run hte risk and it will probubly help you out. But i am worried about you taring that engine apart and not getting it back to gether right.

Hey wohh i can get the whole thing apart as of now Haha and everyone thanks alot. I guess its go time. My teacher at school actually asked me to bring it in and drive it for autos? Thanks alot guys. And one more thing. Just because the air filter was a motor saver, NO ONE can add this to there list of y they hate them. This was pure user error and not running the zip tie on the top of it!
Old 10-10-2006, 06:59 AM
beelzebubishere
My Feedback: (1)

+2 for RF, for owning up to the operator error.

ORIGINAL: rawkfist2

Hey wohh i can get the whole thing apart as of now Haha and everyone thanks alot. I guess its go time. My teacher at school actually asked me to bring it in and drive it for autos? Thanks alot guys. And one more thing. Just because the air filter was a motor saver, NO ONE can add this to there list of y they hate them. This was pure user error and not running the zip tie on the top of it!
Old 10-10-2006, 08:47 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: BenjyTheUltimate

but with boats the water doesnt actually run through the engine, it just cools the head down, i am pretty sure.
Yes, they are water cooled BUT, sink or flip one and there IS water in the engine. I know this from experence. There may be some forign debris in the water and I always flush a water logged engine throughly. Not so much for debris but more to get all the moisture out. Rust and corossion are a far bigger concern than the off chance that some piece of floating debris found it's way in. On the other hand, I've got A $300 K&B outboard downstairs that needs a new p/s - but I think it's more from the fact that it's 15 years old than from sucking in junk.

Rawk, use this as a learning experence. Taking shortcuts may save a second or two but can and do come back to bite you. Way to go owning up to a mistake though!
Old 10-10-2006, 02:20 PM
125cchyperman

ORIGINAL: F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X.

pssht, dude he was running on flat/dry & clean land.. not the freakin sand dunes spray some WD40 in there and then pour it out and you'll be fine
How do you know where he was driving. Were you there when he was driving it. I dont think so. Even if he was driving in a place that there was very little dirt there is still dirt. It only takes a small pebble or piece of sand to eneter and totally destroy your engine. Just one, just one thats all it takes to destroy a engine. He may get lucky this time but you know what ,he's had absolutely horrible luck with his engine and with his luck this will destroy his engine. All because he didnt tear the engine down. Your going to end up costing someone a lot of money by saying things like that. I'm sure when they have to dish out the money to get another $150, $200, $300 or more dollars to get a new engine then they wont be happy.

DONT BE LAZY, DO THINGS RIGHT. SAVE YOURSELF THE MONEY AND HASSLE.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:26 PM
rawkfist2

Well you guys? I am really puzzled. Today the highest temps i read was 200* amd im always hassleing to get it under 270. Wierd? And it runs better. But i also changed fuels so that might be y.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:42 PM
beelzebubishere

And what is the ambient temp right now? about 54F you say...did you maybe forget the ambient temp has a BIG INFLUENCE on engine tune and resulting temps? Hmmmmmmmm?

Well you guys? I am really puzzled. Today the highest temps i read was 200* amd im always hassleing to get it under 270. Wierd? And it runs better. But i also changed fuels so that might be y.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:56 PM
rawkfist2

NO the temp is 200 right now. As soon as i switched fuel. I think the TRX engines dont like the Byrons fuel. IDK maybe the byrons had something wrong with it. But hell i like this red alert stuff.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:59 PM
beelzebubishere

Ambient air temp....means how hot or cold it is OUTSIDE, not the engine temp......... and the weather channel says Cary, Il is 54F....it makes a difference.

NO the temp is 200 right now. As soon as i switched fuel. I think the TRX engines dont like the Byrons fuel. IDK maybe the byrons had something wrong with it. But hell i like this red alert stuff.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:06 PM
rawkfist2

OOO sorry didnt read that part. I am sorry for that. But yes thats the correct temp. But also the byrons has always been at 70* at least higher. i was running byrons the other day at the same temps outside and still hitting 270*
Old 10-10-2006, 06:00 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X.

ORIGINAL: mayhem maniac

The first time I ran my Mayhem, the filter came off, and I did this exact thing, and the engine is now happily powering my Revo. I was also running on grass. So I know what I am talking about when I say clean out like this.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:58 PM
RvoMad

two words......ZIP TIE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.