Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

TRX 2.5 safe temps

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 07:07 PM
lanerbrainer205

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRX 2.5 safe temps

Ok, i have my revo tuned so that it will not exceed the temp of 250 farenheit as traxxas says, but is it ok to go higher? My engine is still putting out blue smoke and i feel i can get more performance if i can lean it out more. what is a safe temp range?
Old 10-10-2006, 07:22 PM
lanerbrainer205

Default RE: TRX 2.5 safe temps

ANYONE?!? come on i know there is someone out there who knows the answer. i am running 33% fuel in a TRX 2.5
Old 10-10-2006, 07:27 PM
rawkfist2

Do not lean it out more. That will cause the engine to blow. The piston should still be pure gold no black or specs growing on it. That extra amount of power is not worth it. Run ur engine at what its at now but try to never let it surpass 270. Also how are u checking temps? On board hang gun. Who makes it.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:31 PM
jamesdickinson

what he said, I thought I could take my 2.5r further, and well, I could. alot further BUT I dont have a motor anymore as a result. was it worth it? at the time sure, but afterwards no, not at all.

I did manage to get it to 438 degrees though, thats impressive LOL
Old 10-10-2006, 07:31 PM
lanerbrainer205

a blue duratraxx handhelp temp gauge. so i can get the temps up to 260? my piston is like kinda silverish not gold is this bad? what do the black specs mean? BTW thanks for helping
Old 10-10-2006, 08:03 PM
rawkfist2

OOOO its a 2.5r i thought it was 2.5 sorry/ But yes what i said is correct. The specs, under the cooling head there will be little black specs on the piston meaning you are running to lean. And nice job with the temp guage. most are crap but u got a good one
Old 10-10-2006, 08:13 PM
aznherb36

the color on the piston isnt all that important, as long as its not all black. most if it is the burning fuel. To see if you are running lean/rich check your plug at the end of the day and if it is glossy, giving off a little oil then thats good. no oil = lean. to much = rich
Old 10-10-2006, 08:56 PM
jamesdickinson

the black stuff is heavy deposits from your fuel/oil mixture that builds up on the piston head. it can also be shavings from your piston sleave should you be running too lean and getting too much friction. Run your motor at the temperature traxxas recomends, you can go higher than there recommendation, but you will cause additional wear on the motor. its best to tune it to there spec to minimise tweaking later on, as atmospheric temp changes and air moisture etc goes up and down.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:48 PM
125cchyperman

Dont pay attention to temps. I dont know what these guys are talking about. Tune for performance. Make sure that the engine has good cripse throotle responce and your good. As long as you done hear a popping sound from the exhaust when you let off the throttle.

The coloring on the piston. The color of the piston is vital to telling you what you are doing right and or wrong. If the piston is black then your to lean. If the piston is goldish brown then your good. If the piston doesnt have any color to it then you havent run it enough or maybe the fuel you use may not have a whole lot of oil content in it. But the color of the plug is much more important. If the plug looks like it new then your rich or you havent run enough with the plug. If the plug has a golding brown to it then your in the sweet spot. If the plug is black then your to lean. If the plug has a whit ash on it then your way to lean and need to richen it up.

250 degrees isnt all that high. Usually 270 is a good temp as long as you dont get into the 290 or 300 range as this usually means there is something wrong. If you have any more questions just get back.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:01 PM
rawkfist2

Dont pay attention to temps. I dont know what these guys are talking about. Tune for performance. Make sure that the engine has good cripse throotle responce and your good. As long as you done hear a popping sound from the exhaust when you let off the throttle.
What u mean, the leaning gets the really good performence but also gets the short engine life!
Old 10-10-2006, 10:34 PM
125cchyperman

Are you asking a question or are you tyring to correct me or what. I have no idea what you mean. But I do know what I mean, Dont tune for temps, tune ofr performance. Tune till it has a nice cripe throttle responce but dont go to far. If you hear a popping sound when you let go of the throttle then your to lean. I always look at the plug after so long. A nice golden brown plug is awesome. A black or ash white plug is bad.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:30 AM
rawkfist2

NIether im stating.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:21 AM
SG16

Rawkfist, no offense but I'm going to have to disagree with the piston turning brown when running lean. I had a trx 2.5 that had a black piston and had 10 gallons on it before I retired it.

I also agree with tuning by performance not as much by temps. Performane and sound will tune your engine better than temps. I use my temp gauge about every gallon. If its running right, there is no need too check. Now, if your a begginer a temp gauge is a . MUST HAVE
Old 10-11-2006, 07:48 AM
125cchyperman

First of rawkfist I know that your just trying to help. But your giving help in the wrong places. Just a day or two ago you where asking on how to tune your engine. So why are you giving advice to him on how to tune his engine. I know you said that it was the fuel and all that but come on dude. You cant even tear the tranny out of your truck without asking a thousand questions. And instead of fixing the transmission you had you just got a new one.

I realise that your trying to help but this has gone a little to far now. You a noob to this hobby and are learning yourself and are giving way to much advise that you dont even know how to do yourself. I remember about a month ago when you tried to sell everything you had and to as far as to my knowledge had everything sold. At least thats what you posted then you decided not to sell out. And thats not the first time you got mad and wanted to sell everything. Dont argue with me on this as I have several years of this hobby under my belt and you yourself are just really starting out.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:39 PM
rawkfist2

First of rawkfist I know that your just trying to help. But your giving help in the wrong places. Just a day or two ago you where asking on how to tune your engine. So why are you giving advice to him on how to tune his engine. I know you said that it was the fuel and all that but come on dude. You cant even tear the tranny out of your truck without asking a thousand questions. And instead of fixing the transmission you had you just got a new one.
#1. It wouldnt shift, thought it was a tuning problem

#2. I fixed the tranny problem, ran probaly 1/2 gallon on it and the tranyns gears stripped. Ending up just buying a $40 tranny. Understand where im going?
Old 10-11-2006, 10:11 PM
125cchyperman

But still I understand that your trying to help but your saying things that are untrue. I do understand that your trying to help but your still new and still learning (we all learn soemthing new each day but your still learning the basics) and your arguing with a a person that has more then 6 times the amount of time in this hobby then you do. You have gotten mad at the rc's and have even said that you where selling out to get land scaping equipment. Your giving some good advice and some bad advice.

I applaud you in that your trying to help people but some times I think you post just for the sake of posting and really make no sence or really offer any help.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:39 PM
aznherb36

ORIGINAL: 125cchyperman

But still I understand that your trying to help but your saying things that are untrue. I do understand that your trying to help but your still new and still learning (we all learn soemthing new each day but your still learning the basics) and your arguing with a a person that has more then 6 times the amount of time in this hobby then you do. You have gotten mad at the rc's and have even said that you where selling out to get land scaping equipment. Your giving some good advice and some bad advice.

I applaud you in that your trying to help people but some times I think you post just for the sake of posting and really make no sence or really offer any help.

+10
Old 10-12-2006, 11:19 AM
racintang

I had to replace my carburetor housing today on my 2.5 and now I can'r get a tune worth a damn. I have blue smoke lsn pinch test intolerence and I have tried every setting on the hsn but even at idle I am reaching temps over 300 degrees. I have an onboard sensor in between my bottom two fins.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:25 PM
125cchyperman

Is the carb nut nice and tight. Is there any air leaks as 300 when idling is way to high. Infact if your reaching 300 when idling then I dont even think that you could reach those high of temps as this thing would be so lean that it wouldnt be idling. It would raise the rpm's so much that it would be scooting around and be driving itself'

Check that your temp sonsor is correct and not misreading as I dont even think it's possible to get those high of temps just idling. As I said before it ould raise the idle and the truck would be driving itself around the yard or street. Check for those then get back
Old 10-12-2006, 01:06 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

This engine never went over 270 degrees. it depends on conditions, fuel, all that jazz, as far as temps go. keep it under 300 and make sure it doesn't have a lean bog/stutter, and you're safe.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:46 PM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HOLY CRAP that thing is ugly inside
Old 10-12-2006, 02:02 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

let's just say it overreved
Old 10-12-2006, 02:12 PM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u lost control of it and it stayed at WOT for a while till u where able to recover it?????HUH??? LOL
Old 10-12-2006, 02:16 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

radio problem...the Revo blitzed across 4 lanes of a busy road and landed on its lid at the opposite side and laid turtle at WOT:P
Old 10-12-2006, 05:01 PM
125cchyperman

Boy is that thing ugly. Wow holy crap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.