Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

OFNA Stories, good or bad!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Trick440

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OFNA Stories, good or bad!

Ok, I'm just about fed up.

I bought a Picco 26 for my Revo on 7/26.
As soon as I get it, I notice the metal sleeve on the carb is loose. I just tighten the pinch bolts good and I start break in. It ran great for 2 tanks of gas.

Then it was acting up like an air leak. So I check that carb, and its spinning freely no matter how tight the pinch bolt is. So that sucks and I really wanna play with this thing. So I get the repair address off OFNA.com and I spend $15 dollars to overnite the dang thing. 3 weeks later!? it comes back, finally, I install it.. and... AIR LEAK still... but its from the front bearing.... Ok so I send it back off to OFNA...

3 weeks later... no motor... So I call. They never recieved my motor.. They ask where I sent it. I tell em I sent it to the address off the Picco 26 manual I got off there website. We'll thats not there current address. So my freakin motor is lost in the mail. I call everybody, Ofna, the old address, the post office.. I'm a moron and didn't use a tracking number... no one has seen it.

So I considered it lost in the mail.

Next day it gets returned to me... thank god. So its returned because of the wrong address.

So I send it back.. to the right address. 3 weeks later... it comes back repaired!!! SWEET.... so I think.

I take the motor out of the box with its newly replaced front bearing. I decide to do a quick air test. I seal all the holes and blow into the carb. And to my dismay, freakin air and oil come out the front bearing. Your kidding me right? I call Ofna.. they tell me to send it in to be repaired. UUUURRRRRGGG!

So I bought this motor 7/23, and as of this post 10/11 its still broke, with 2 hours run time on it. Unreal.

I'm gonna write a note with the motor when I send it back asking for my money back, not like that is gonna happen.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Revoview

Default RE: OFNA Stories, good or bad!

sorry about that man i hope my ofna works its a .26 force
Old 10-11-2006, 04:31 PM
TM323

Wow that is a bad experience but, you gotta admit that is great custumor service although the actual service department sucks LOL. But in there defense I sent in a month old hyper 21 with a broke conrod and they replaced the entire engine for free (minus the money I spen to ship it). When you sen it in you have to tell them the engine doesn't work. If you say that the pull start is broke then they are gonna just send you a new pull start not check your carb and needle settings too either tell them everything that is wrong or just say you don't know wht is wrong please fix it.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:52 PM
Balact Man
My Feedback: (6)

i own 4 different OFNA products and have had problems like anyone else. i can say this, when ever i needed a part/replacement a simple phone call is all it took. it SUCKS big when you are the one caught in "Customer Service H***"!!! but as TM323 says, call and talk to them about whats been happening and that you would prefer a new engine for your trubles.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Trick440

I got my motor back from Ofna on about 11/15. I ran it for 2, 5 minute runs and put it away. I havent drove it sense.. Well I tried to start it a month ago and it wouldn't start, I put it away again, now I go to start it and it still don't start. So damn it! I pull the motor and do an air leak test.... It leaks out the front bearing again........

Is there somethign I am doing wrong? How can I get 4 bad motors in a row?
Old 02-05-2007, 09:54 AM
nitrorcjunkie

I ordered my Picco .26 from Tower along with some other stuff.... Got the shipment, took the Picco box out of the shipping box, noticed a hole in the side of the Picco box, where the crank punched a hole in the box from obviously being dropped. I was thoroughly disgusted, but inspected the mill carefully for damage, no damage was visible, so I broke the motor down, as per my usual new motor procedure. Inspected the internals, sealed the carb with copper RTV, added .2mm shim to the head, sealed the front bearing with copper RTV ( check the 'Picco .26 maxx....the Dark Side' thread for proper procedure) installed it in my T-Maxx and broke it in per Picco's instructions and proceeded to RIP S**T up! This motor kicks butt and is easy to tune.... Small leak around front bearing after a half gallon of 30% Byron's RACE, broke it down and noticed I didn't seal the crank good enough. I absolutely LOVE this motor. I am back and forth from Atlanta to South Florida, from running at 40 deg. to running at 80 deg. with 95% humidity...no tuning issues, just a tweak on the HSN and it rips! Wheelie bars and junker bodies are MANDATORY! The only complaint I have is the boot on the throttle arm would push the carb open a bit, making the mill idle sporadically for the first 10 or so tanks.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:11 AM
beelzebubishere
My Feedback: (1)

Yup....when properly set-up, the PICCO's are absolute SCREAMERS!

It's a shame they are not an "out of the box" runner.....but they do require a certain amount of owner input before they should even be started. When done, and done correctly, the owner is rewarded with an engine that get's better, gallon after gallon, up to about gallon 6 or seven....then they seem to level off, and REALLY KICK BOOTY!

But if you think you'll have a trouble free engine, in an out of the box installation.....you're openning yourself up for a whole world of heart burn. Picco's are a mechanic's and tinkerer's dream, and an RTR guys nightmare.

ORIGINAL: nitrorcjunkie

I ordered my Picco .26 from Tower along with some other stuff.... Got the shipment, took the Picco box out of the shipping box, noticed a hole in the side of the Picco box, where the crank punched a hole in the box from obviously being dropped. I was thoroughly disgusted, but inspected the mill carefully for damage, no damage was visible, so I broke the motor down, as per my usual new motor procedure. Inspected the internals, sealed the carb with copper RTV, added .2mm shim to the head, sealed the front bearing with copper RTV ( check the 'Picco .26 maxx....the Dark Side' thread for proper procedure) installed it in my T-Maxx and broke it in per Picco's instructions and proceeded to RIP S**T up! This motor kicks butt and is easy to tune.... Small leak around front bearing after a half gallon of 30% Byron's RACE, broke it down and noticed I didn't seal the crank good enough. I absolutely LOVE this motor. I am back and forth from Atlanta to South Florida, from running at 40 deg. to running at 80 deg. with 95% humidity...no tuning issues, just a tweak on the HSN and it rips! Wheelie bars and junker bodies are MANDATORY! The only complaint I have is the boot on the throttle arm would push the carb open a bit, making the mill idle sporadically for the first 10 or so tanks.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Mohammed T

ORIGINAL: beelzebubishere

Yup....when properly set-up, the PICCO's are absolute SCREAMERS!

It's a shame they are not an "out of the box" runner.....but they do require a certain amount of owner input before they should even be started. When done, and done correctly, the owner is rewarded with an engine that get's better, gallon after gallon, up to about gallon 6 or seven....then they seem to level off, and REALLY KICK BOOTY!

But if you think you'll have a trouble free engine, in an out of the box installation.....you're openning yourself up for a whole world of heart burn. Picco's are a mechanic's and tinkerer's dream, and an RTR guys nightmare.

100% True ... I am a Newbi my self, but i managed to get that thing Screaming with the Help of the guys @ NitroObsession.proboards79.com & MVbashers.org i also read the Darkside here and their at RCNO, i had some hard times figuring it out (User Error and Lack of knowledge in RC Nitro in general) but i followed the steps and am happy, i was told to take it easy in breakin, when i first started the Engine it would only take 1 to 2 minutes and i Hit the 270 Temps, i had to Shut it off atleast 15 times on the first Tank, it took about a gallon to break in this engine, but now i cant get the temps to the 200 range, though am driving it in a 75 F weather.

Testing Carb rotation and Bellcrank on the Truck before sealing
Completely sealing the Engine
and Taking it Easy on the Throttle for the first 8 tanks are the most important things for a trouble free Picco IMO

I think if you push it hard in the first 7 or 8 tanks where the engine is still very very tight, you get LOTS of pressure in that thing and an Air leak will happen somwhere.

I Followed a Mix of Break in methods, I Idled the First Two Tanks, i then Heat Cycled for 4-5 Tanks, and then ran the Traxxas Break in for another 5 Tanks ... after that i tested the Engine for Leaks and found nothing, Good Temps and Lots of power.

Jay and Kilff, Jeremy from MV Bashers helped me a bunch the whole process.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:04 PM
87warrior

hey man i no how you feel the same thing with my traxxas 2.5 motor i bought 2 years ago and it ran kinda ****ty for the break in then it would bearely run at al i took it to the hooby shop and they told me to seal the motor so i did still noting then they said it was the carb so i called traxxas they told me to buy a carb and see if that work so i did that pissed off cause they would not wanty it cause they said i played with it which i had to during break in. so i did that not a dam thing so i sent it to them cause they finally told me to send it in i did they just put a new piston and cyclinder in it and sent it back 3 weeks later and i started it then it was rinnging 315 degerrs so take the motor apart and ceaned it and put it back togather so i called them again then they said it was the head so i got onn off ebay new one. then i put that one then noting at all so finilly i bought a nother used motor off ebay got that took the carb off my other one and and out it on there similer thing with that one so i just through every thing in a box and put it up in the gargae and left t for 2 years now im trying to play with it and i go to the hobby shop and the guy that told me that the 2.5 was the best motor they ever made was there still. i talked to him about it and he said that motor was the biggest pos they ever mad. i was like thanks for getting me to spend the money for the pos and have noting but prolbums with it. now i just orderd my os motor wating for that to come in.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:33 AM
Kawasakirider

I sealed my engine when I got it (IDK how to seal the crank though, nitro RC, if you wouldn't mind telling me, I'd be glad to do it.) It screams, easiest engine to break in, it starts all the time and it is quite a bit easier to tune than my S-25. I like ofna engines, my .21 4 port never ever gave me any problems. I have a slight leak in the front bearing, when it is flooded, fuel comes out (this only happened once when I flooded it yesterday) but it has not affected tuning whatsoever. I am running 16/38 (I have run 16/36 and it is just as awesome) and it wheelies at any point in first gear and when it hits second it wheelies a bit, on a few occasions, flipping over. I love this engine, I love the revo, I love the sidepipe, I love it. This has been the most trouble free nitro car/engine I've ever owned.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Mohammed T

ORIGINAL: Kawasakirider

I sealed my engine when I got it (IDK how to seal the crank though, nitro RC, if you wouldn't mind telling me, I'd be glad to do it.) It screams, easiest engine to break in, it starts all the time and it is quite a bit easier to tune than my S-25. I like ofna engines, my .21 4 port never ever gave me any problems. I have a slight leak in the front bearing, when it is flooded, fuel comes out (this only happened once when I flooded it yesterday) but it has not affected tuning whatsoever. I am running 16/38 (I have run 16/36 and it is just as awesome) and it wheelies at any point in first gear and when it hits second it wheelies a bit, on a few occasions, flipping over. I love this engine, I love the revo, I love the sidepipe, I love it. This has been the most trouble free nitro car/engine I've ever owned.

[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 02-07-2007, 09:01 AM
formerlyknownasAWB

OFNA = garbage

The first and only OFNA motor I bought was junk. The crank wheel cracked the case on the bottom of the motor, was about a 3mm hole. I'll put up a pic when I get home.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:23 AM
WarRaven

I personally imagine, theres a lot of hit an miss with parts an not just motors.

I wouldn't slam a company for one bad mill to me, unless they totally ignored requests for repairs that were within reason, and or it was several motors in a row with same or similiar problems that could not be corrected.

I plan on a .26 MAX myself, regardless of what may be thrown out here, only personal trial an error will be my proof.

Of course, YMMV.

WR
Old 02-07-2007, 03:27 PM
125cchyperman

ORIGINAL: formerlyknownasAWB

OFNA = garbage

The first and only OFNA motor I bought was junk. The crank wheel cracked the case on the bottom of the motor, was about a 3mm hole. I'll put up a pic when I get home.
Every company puts out lemons, there is no way around it. Dont slam a company for a lemon as OFNA put out some great products. So you bought a lemon did you return it and get another lemon and return that motor and get another lemon. Then I might slam a company but not over one product though. Ford, chevy, mercede's, honda, nissan, acura and evey other car company has had recall's on there vehicles. So you see it just doesnt happen to OFNA.

So dont slam a company for one bad product, I'm sure if you sent it back they would have been glad to send you a new engine. I was about to buy a ofna product a little while back but fell short and settled on some spar parts for my current rc's. Being 20 and having a SUV with a V8 that gulps gas and insurance is kinda a killer. Ofna is not a bad company.

I would love to see you have a company as big as OFNA and make as many products as OFNA and not have a lemon at all. Well I am awaiting your product line, just be sure not to send out lemons. [>:]
Old 02-07-2007, 04:20 PM
bubbles31

ok i tride that blowing in the carb on my trx 3.3 only cuz i have the engine out cuz was runing like ass and it sounds like the rear bearings are leaking how do i stop this can i use an automotive hi temp silicone. i am so bummed out i miss my t maxx so bad i want to use it lol
Old 02-07-2007, 04:35 PM
madtr

I have 4 hyper 21 s and 3 .26 piccas and they are a tuners dream if you like adjusting,but when they run they really run,i just retired one hyper 21 for lack of compression and age.And may or may not replace it with another offna but might try something different,but all in all the offnas been good to me.Ive had trouble with a traxxas and associated and an xtm but have had several of each and each one was different even though the same engine.But thats half the fun of the hobby tinkering and getting it to scream.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Trick440

I have to give it to OFNA on customer service. After all 4 of these bad motors they have been hanging with me trying to work it out the whole time.

So I'm gonna cross my fingers and hope this next motor works. I know alot of perople LOVE this motor. I'm hoping to be one of them.

I just want people to know OFNA is standing behind there product. Customer service is very, very high on my list and OFNA has it.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:38 AM
totse

http://www.totse.com/
Old 03-04-2007, 07:43 AM
walterPPK

I could not be more satisfied my Ofna PICCO .26 purchase.

My PICCO is a dream, it runs cooler than my TRX3.3 cause it has so much power that I keep it rich. I'm still using the same glow plug that I used for break-in!, that was almost one gallon of nitro ago. The TRX would eat the plug is a matter of 3 or 4 tanks!, although I admit to running it a little hotter cause I wanted more power...

This is a great product from a great company. My PICCO needed no repairs, I took it out of the box and installed it on my Revo and that was it.

I spent a whole day breaking in this engine, did about 10 tanks, doing 10 minute runs of short throttle burst never letting the temps higher than 205F, then shutting down the engine until it reached 90F.... which could take 45 minutes.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Dil

damm you seem to have a lotta patience!!!
Old 03-04-2007, 09:24 AM
Thunderbird93

Right now my Picco Maxx is sitting in the basement because of the same problem Trick440 has. My S-Maxx is a beast when the engine is running right but for some reason I can't get the carburetor tightened down. Hopefully I'll figure something out soon.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:36 PM
dude7422

hi all the pinch bolt or carb locking bolt only holds card from coming out ,,,it does little if anything to stop card from turning that is where the silicone comes in
Old 03-04-2007, 02:49 PM
125cchyperman

When my carb nut is tighten down my carb doesnt move at all. Infact if I where to try and move it it would take some good amount of force to move it and
Old 03-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Mohammed T

ORIGINAL: walterPPK

I could not be more satisfied my Ofna PICCO .26 purchase.

My PICCO is a dream, it runs cooler than my TRX3.3 cause it has so much power that I keep it rich. I'm still using the same glow plug that I used for break-in!, that was almost one gallon of nitro ago. The TRX would eat the plug is a matter of 3 or 4 tanks!, although I admit to running it a little hotter cause I wanted more power...

This is a great product from a great company. My PICCO needed no repairs, I took it out of the box and installed it on my Revo and that was it.

I spent a whole day breaking in this engine, did about 10 tanks, doing 10 minute runs of short throttle burst never letting the temps higher than 205F, then shutting down the engine until it reached 90F.... which could take 45 minutes.
+1 this engine is too good to be true.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:19 PM
crazy maxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that sux. it must have been a bad motor b/c i have that motor and that didint happen but the one way shaft crapped out nd i cnt find where to get one