Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

To build or not to build, that is the question

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

To build or not to build, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 12:42 AM
cubmaster
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To build or not to build, that is the question

I'm building a 3.3 E-Maxx w/custom aluminum chassis and down to the point that I need a tranny.
Should I build a tranny from scratch or buy a used one or a new complete one?
I'll be running 550 motors for now till I go brushless next spring.
What would be the better way to go and save the most money?
Old 10-13-2006, 01:22 AM
125cchyperman

Default RE: To build or not to build, that is the question

How can you have a 3.3 E-maxx. You can have a E-maxx but not a 3.3 E-maxx

3.3 refers to the size of the nitro enigne which is 3.3 cc and equates to .20cu in. But aftyer saying that I would just buy a new one. A used tranny might be broken from the get go and you would end up fixing it anyways.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:49 AM
rawkfist2

Just do what they do at the LHS. Slap a 3.3 sticker on a 2.5 truck. Makes more money!
Old 10-13-2006, 07:04 AM
beelzebubishere
My Feedback: (1)

Are you even sure of what you're building? I'm not.
The E, T, and 3.3 T-Maxx all have different trannies. T's and 3.3T's can be converted to electric, the E is already electric....
How the heck can someone make an educated suggestion when your initial description is so confusing........
Old 10-13-2006, 08:00 AM
125cchyperman

ORIGINAL: rawkfist2

Just do what they do at the LHS. Slap a 3.3 sticker on a 2.5 truck. Makes more money!
Ummmm I'm more then sure that they do not do that. And if your LHS does this then I feel bad for everybody that goes there and buys anything off of them. Plus I'm more then sure that most people would know the difference between a 3.3 and a E-Maxx I'm mean thats a very big difference. Even when I first came into this hobby I knew the difference from a T-Maxx and a E-maxx.

But yeah at first I was confused to, I thought you wanted to build a T-maxx that had an electric motor on it and keep the nitro on it to. But then I thought that you meant you where taking a 3.3 chassis and transplanting everything from your E-Maxx over to the 3.3 chassis. Actually to tell you the truth the more I sit hear and think about it the more I get confused.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:44 AM
cubmaster

OK, let me tell you what I'm doing 1st and then you'll understand.

I have purchased almost all the parts to build a 3.3 T-Maxx (axle carriers, armrs axles, diffs, bulkheads, everything up to date) but I took the chassis and cut out a equal size hole on the right side to put in a second steering servo and the shift servo. I got everything from E-Bay so I've got little into it. What I'm not using from the T-Maxx is trannny, engine, or anything else to do with nitro. I'm going to use a E-Maxx tranny and power system. This will make a very very durable E-Maxx with powerful steering and a stiff chassis. And yes I know I could have spent $50 plus for a high torque steering servo but a traxxas 2055 dual system cost me $25 for all perts to create including the new servos and it looks cool as well as works excellent.

Anyway the simple answer is 3.3 parts + E-Maxx powertrain = 3.3 E-Maxx

I was suppose to get a tranny from a E-Bay seller but it fell through and need to find a cost effective way to get a smooth efficient tranny that will hold up when I add brushless later. Some one on the Traxxas.com forum said to build and put in lightweight internals. Does anyone have a thought on that?
Old 10-13-2006, 10:59 AM
beelzebubishere
My Feedback: (1)

E-bay 3.3 T-Maxx tranny or REVO tranny, new from one of the guys that's always parting stuff out.

That did make it a lot clearer, thanks.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:04 AM
DaveG55

Well, if you're for sure going brushless at some point go ahead and build the tranny to handle it now.
If on the other hand, the brushless system is only a "hope to get" then save the money and keep watchong e-bay for another cheap, new stock one.
So, the answer really lies with you an what you reallistically expect to happen.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:30 PM
cubmaster

I don't "hope to get anything". I'm just waiting till mamba comes out with the monster maxx system and works the bugs out, until then I'm going brushed for the winter play time. So, Dave55 how would you build a tranny to handle the mamba in stride? details please.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:01 PM
les_222

This should take care of all of your transmission worries.

http://rc4wd.com/shop/product_info.p...oducts_id=1265

I am waiting for the castle creations control too for my E-maxx. I hope it comes out soon.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:35 AM
cubmaster

If I had a used tranny would that replace all the gears?
Old 10-14-2006, 03:57 AM
les_222

Yes it would. That is what i am doing to mine soon. It is hard to get alluminum tranny gears for an e-maxx. I ran across this site a while ago by acident.