Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

O.S. Carburetor #10D .15 RX swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 11:04 PM
Meziked

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S. Carburetor #10D .15 RX swap?

OK, having a hell of a time tuning the 2.5r. Seems like alot of us are.
I see alot of seasoned R/C people saying to swap carbs on this unit to a O.S. #10d, whitch is a metal carb that fits the 2.5r.
Seems the plastic carb traxxas used like to leak air and run the engine way lean with no way of tunning it out.
My question is this.... other then the carb itself....what is needed for the swap?
I dont see a throttel spring around the LSN on the OS carb... will the return spring under the servo arm work as well?
Also the intake inlet is 3mm smaller then the stocker.....so the intake pipe and filer setup would have to be changed right?

If you have done this, please post up your results..... Im getting ready to hit tower and drop almost 70 bucks to get this jewel sent to me to end this tunning nightmaire. or... 70 bucks is close to an ebay price for a os .18..... figure 150 for a better running engine? Do you think a 2.5 is worth putting 70 more dollars into?

I know im new, I know I have no tuning background on small glow 2 cycles, but man I am chasing my tail and have tossed more money at this problem then i would like to admit too. I know its a "newbie thing' to say....hell with it I'll get another engine, but I have spent days apon days of reseach,tuning, more research, more tunning..... I have tried calling tech support, I have been talking to a great guy on here about it....just seems once i get it all lined out and she is running great..... 15 minutes later is back to overheating and stalling. It WILL NOT HOLD A TUNE. I would be willing to buy anyone a case of beer if they could get this thing to hold a tune for a tank of gas.

I would post everything i have tried but this post would be one page all by itself. Small changes everytime..... do test laps, check with a dura-IR. replace glow plugs #3232 med/high traxxas. Run 20% blue thunder, no leaks at the tank. new fuel line, fuel filter, bigger cooling head, body cut for air, carb rebuilt, no needle damage, no stripped plastic, seems to seat good on the engine and the snug bolt is tight. Tune pipe will move fuel with the line off the carb while starting..... I will be sealing the backplate with a small bead of RTV, piston looks great, sleave is not wore at all, plenty of compression at TDC (will leak down if held at tdc, but with no piston rings...I think thats a given)... man you name it, Iv checked it.

any help about the above....feel free to post, PM, e-mail, carrier pigeon....anything.....

[email protected]

Old 10-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Meziked

Default RE: O.S. Carburetor #10D .15 RX swap?

bump!!!!
back to the top with ya....
Old 10-18-2007, 11:58 PM
mrroboto

The o.s. #10D carb works great on the trx 2.5 and 2.5r. Here is a good air filter, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLGB1&P=ML
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96930.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	785792  
Old 10-19-2007, 12:01 AM
mrroboto

Just F.Y.I. That is the lower half of a pill box that I'm using for an air filter cover to protect it from the rain.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:27 AM
leroycool1

just buy the os18tm and take the carb off of it and put it on the 2.5 run that till the motor is gone then you have a new motor ready to go in
Old 10-20-2007, 02:41 AM
mrroboto

The New O.S. .21tm engine uses the same 11k carb from the .18tm by the looks of it too !