Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Temp problem/question - They are High!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 08:01 PM
Slimz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp problem/question - They are High!

Or so it seems...

I use the traxxas temp gauge since I coulden't find an IR locally, and shipping to Alaska is horrid. So, I was running it a couple days ago, and I brought it to me to see what the temps were. The digital read out on the traxxas gauge said 338. I've also seen it as high as 346.2 - So, I can't figure it out. I never had temp problems before adjusting the low-speed needle, so I turned it back. Still seems there is a problem. The only thing I've done different in the last 2-3 weeks is start using WD-40, removing the glow plug, and doing the after run procedure on the motor as described in the traxxas manual. Because were so close to snow here, I'm not sure when I'll be done driving it for a couple weeks.

So, how the hell would I know if that thing is accurate, will the color of the piston inside tell me how hot the motor is actully getting and if it's harmful? Can the low-speed needle affect temps while running? I don't think it could, but, I'm still fairly new at this.

What else could possible cause the high temps? I turned the mixture up, but no change. I'm also not convinced my high-speed needle is working correctly.

I'd appreciate the help. I'd like to try and figure this out before I'm buying a new motor.

-- Joe
Old 10-19-2006, 08:39 PM
MeisDE

Default RE: Temp problem/question - They are High!

For your sake I hope it's not accurate. There's a method of dripping water on cooling head and seeing how quick it evaporates to get a loose gauge. Not sure of the exact procedure though. If you do a search on temp you can probably find it.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:41 PM
125cchyperman

Take the glow plug out and look at it. See what color it is, a golden brown means it's running good and your temp gauge is more then likely off. If t's black then your lean and should richen it up. But for those temps you will probably see a whitish ash on the glow plug and this means your running really lean and should richen it up imediately. The same thing for your piston, but if it is trully this hot then you have an air leak somwhere and I would suggest not using wd-40 on your enign as this can dry up o-rings and cause a air leak.

but where are you taking your measurements at. Are you taking the gun and pointing thr gun down at the glow plug or are you doing from the exhaust side and trying to get the block. If doing it near the exhaust header it sould be reading the header's temp which will always be much hotter then the engine itself. But it would be much higher then the temp that your reading at but maybe your getting just enough of it to throw off your gun. good luck and if you have any other questions just get back.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:43 PM
legbuh

Anything Traxxas says to do, do the opposite.

Don't follow their break in method.
Don't follow their tuning methods (especially for the 3.3).
Don't use WD40 for ARO.

Those are the 3 mains ones I've learned.

Any anyone that says "they've been around a long time, they should know what they are talking about". You're right. They do know what they are talking about, as long as it's selling new engines more often.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:00 PM
rawkfist2

Actually the piston can tell alot. Tell me exact gallons on that engine and post a pic. That will tell me around what temps your running.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Slimz

I didn't take out the glow plug last night, and I did go out today and find an IR and get some after run oil.

With that said, my temp gauge at times is anywhere from 18 to 35 degrees off. I had to move it up 4 fins on the heatsink to get it to match up to my IR. I never saw over 240 degrees on the IR. So I leaned it out a little, and let loose. Never over 282 degrees. As for the 346, I have no idea where or how it got that. But, I did richen up the low-speed slightly. Not sure if that made a difference, but, the on board I had again, tonight was not even close.

I think I found the problem, that thing simply just is, a piece of crap.

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it, big time.

-- Joe
Old 10-20-2006, 10:32 PM
2.5 flex

any thing over 270 is badddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd ddddddddddddddd means engine damage
Old 10-20-2006, 11:05 PM
biofreeze

I'm not 100% sure about your model of gauge but there is a switch that changes between two different settings. Sometimes they come packaged switched to the wrong one for reading temps at the glow plug. If it is switched on the wrong one then your temps will read very high. I'd suggest you check that first. Also if your getting a good smoke trail and you engine seems to be running fine then I'd bet your gauge is off. Good luck.

BIO
Old 10-20-2006, 11:21 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

If you have a meat thermometer, you can test the accuracy of your traxxas gauge by placing both in a pot of water on the stove and heating them up, slwoly comparing the temperatures as they rise.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:35 PM
rawkfist2

Or just get a temp gun
Old 10-20-2006, 11:36 PM
ScRacing

Ok great one of knoledge. If traxxas is so wrong why don't you tell us how we should take care of engines?
Old 10-21-2006, 06:35 AM
ah64

just from past exsperiance I have also had one of those Traxxas temp gauges and they are about 10 - 15 Degrees off. I love traxxas trucks but Hate there engines. They take to long to break in I think. But if he was running in the 300's the engine would stall out wouldnt it. Pre ignition?
Old 10-21-2006, 10:48 AM
rawkfist2

yea myn stalls at 300. But ive never hit over 300 on my last engine. the 3.3 i really liked!
Old 10-21-2006, 12:55 PM
125cchyperman

Rawkfist before you sold it you posrted that you had only ran 1 to 2 tanks through iut so you never really had the time to do anything with it. Plus I dont think you would be able to tell the exact temp of the engine frm the piston. You can tell weather it's way overly lean, lean or just right or rich but you can tell the temps off of it.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:51 PM
sofaking_nutz

Running temps are important but not necessarily the deciding factor. They are just used for to keep you in the ballpark. Sometimes my motor would run around the 280-295 mark. But I always had good smoke and it wasn't flaming out. I would do 3 or 4 high speed runs ....leaning it out til there was very lil smoke..and then richening it up a Quarter turn.

As for the spit test, if u spit down into where the plug rests it should sit for 4-6 sec and sizzle off. If u are gettin 2-3 then u are way to lean and continue back in 1/8 turns and continue to tune by smoke.

Another lamense way of telling is the pinch test.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:40 AM
125cchyperman

Yes you are right but having temps as high as 346.2 is way to high. I agree that you should not tune for a certain temp as you will just chase that temp around and never really have fun. You should relly be tuning by performance, if you have a nice crisp throttle responce and dont have the tall tail signs of being lean then you good. Most of the people that have been in this hobby for long enough will get the hang of the what's good and what bad performance wise. But for a new person into the hobby I would suggest getting one and using it.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:15 AM
beelzebubishere
My Feedback: (1)

From the brain of one who still does not know how to tune(check his past posts....just in the last 30 days), and especially knows nothing of mechanics......
The on-board Traxxas, and virtually every other on-board guages are notoriously OFF, usually reading high by as much as 40-50 degrees. So if you are showing in the 340's, you are definitely nearing the limits.... Get a hand held guage.....the postage from Tower will be cheaper than a new engine.

ORIGINAL: rawkfist2

Actually the piston can tell alot. Tell me exact gallons on that engine and post a pic. That will tell me around what temps your running.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:21 AM
beelzebubishere
My Feedback: (1)

Well legbuh certainly knows a heck of a lot more than you do ScR......he can spell, obviuosly has prctical experience, and most likely has put his mechanical aptitude to exceptional use in the hobby......
So, ScR, if you still haven't figurred out how to properly care for an RC engine.....maybe you should go electric.

ORIGINAL: ScRacing

Ok great one of knoledge. If traxxas is so wrong why don't you tell us how we should take care of engines?