Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Do I spool or no?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 01:36 AM
cubmaster
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I spool or no?

I'm going to be putting together all my parts to make a E-Maxx and I forgot a big question. Do I spool the rearend or leave it alone?
Im using it to bash no racing. I'll also have it in the snow.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:07 AM
Infinite Gundam

Default RE: Do I spool or no?

A poll should help here. Keep the diff unless crawling, a spool increases drivetrain stress.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:37 PM
nitroracer20

yeah...unless you have cvd's I wouldnt go for a spool. I tried one in my car and in one tank i ripped up my stock driveshafts.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:55 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

On snow, a spool is great. On high traction surfaces it stresses the rest of the drivetrain too much. I wouldn't even consider a spool if I had CVD's because then you transfer the little bit of added stress that the flexible stock shafts can flex for, straight into other harder to replace components. I'll take a twisted shaft over a stripped pinion any day.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:59 PM
rcdude37

i had one in my maxx because my lhs told me they were the best thing ever... yea it worked great, until one day i had a problem where the back tires would turn slower than the front... i looked at everything trying to fix this, the only thing left to do was pull the spool out and try the diff again... been running ever since with out problems...
works great in snow yes...
works well for wheelies, keeps both tires spinning so one wont "fall behind"
makes turning radius wider...
stresses the drive train...
seems to cause problems i dont want to fix!...
Old 10-25-2006, 01:15 AM
cubmaster
My Feedback: (51)

sounds like unless I'm drag racing or making a snow machine I should leave it out then right?
Old 10-25-2006, 07:35 AM
Uglysteve

I would not spool unless i were Drag Racing or rock crawling.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:41 PM
nitroracer20

tommythecat- Not trying to be a pain in the ass but how would it stress the diff, there is no more diff, jut the spool with the spyder gear on it. Im sure the tires would break free before the rear spool would.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:46 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: nitroracer20

tommythecat- Not trying to be a pain in the ass but how would it stress the diff, there is no more diff, jut the spool with the spyder gear on it. Im sure the tires would break free before the rear spool would.

Sorry about my misuse of terms. I meant pinion and ring gear, not the diff. I generally refer to everything inside of the diff housing as the diff (I know I'm wrong but can't help myself) But now that I think of it, you really wouldn't stress them either unless you spooled both front and rear. You have a good point, I edited the above post with the proper terms. I had been speaking from a past bad experience, that involved spooling both ends, so I guess it really doesn't apply to spooling the rear only.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:53 PM
les_222

I got a spool in my E-maxx and i love it. It helps slide around the corners. You just have to let of the gas before you hit with the plastic cvds or you will twist them.

I put Cvds in the rear only and left plastic in the front. No problems. It works great.

I had it in the front and rear and i was putting groves in the cups.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:18 PM
rcdude37

first off... there is no plastic involved, unless you are talking about the drive shafts, or diff case....
second... the only reason it "slides" around the corner is because you are only grabbing with one rear tire, so the back tends to slide out a bit...
third.... yes the spool will stress the entire "diff", granted it is only 3 pieces now... when cornering the inside tire slows down, and the outside speeds up due to the radius of the turn, locking them so they spin the same, will stress the spool(its made for it)... so if that doesnt take the stress, where does it go? the only place it can, the ring and pinion gears, and also the case that is trying to hold it there.... granted it probably wont break anything, but it does stress the entire diff!
fourth... dont do it unless you are drag racing or building a snow machine...
my .02
Old 10-26-2006, 03:02 PM
nitroracer20

tommythecat- yeah...absolutely true if you spool both the front and rear.