Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

Good reasons to set my Revo on fire and throw it off of a cliff:

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Good reasons to set my Revo on fire and throw it off of a cliff:

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 01:26 PM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Good reasons to set my Revo on fire and throw it off of a cliff:

OK is it just me??????or did no one notice he sayed he hasent moved the needles?????????????

"with no change in the high/low speed needles"

i dont wanna make u sound like a GOOF but have you "tuned" the engine?????? how did u break it in?????? how lean/rich are you running it???? what temps are you geting???? so many people have sayed so many things but no one has tryed to help you out...................ANSWER my question as soon as you can so me and OTHER RCU members can help you!!!!! OH AND ANOTHER THING DONT CLEAN OUT UR GAS TANK WITH WATER USE ALCOHAL!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WILL LEAVE THE INSIDE OF UR TANK LIKE THE DAY U BOUGHT IT!!!! not to mentiong the fact water will rust ur engine......................................

PS if after that it still doesnt work right..................MY ZIP CODE IS 33135 SHIP IT OVER HERE LOLOL j/k!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Fr33ze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW! nice help posting guys... maby like if your pissed at your truck and your constantly repairing it, you too would be upset and freaking, especially if your comming from one area of RC's to another and arent a complete n00b. I too had many issues with my traxxas POS Tmaxx, but after many long hours of forum surfing, I found ways to make it better than stock and now Im happy with it and I now spend more time using it then repairing it...

I would post the links to all the REVO problems and build tips to make it stronger but thats what the search box on every page is for, so giver a try, spend a few hours reading, and then come back and tell us you fixed it and its cool again.

The TRX engine is not the best for trying to learn how to tune, If your too lean it will break con rods and kill piston/sleeves. If your too rich you can break con rods and flood it all the time... I bought my Gen 2 T-Maxx used, the 2.5 was leaking fuel out the front bearing, I ordered new bearings, I goot install then and find that the crank was not tight to the inner bearing race and thats where the leaking came from... So now I need a crank. I read that is will do that anywhere from 1 to 6 gallons of fuel! Thats not a good report IMO. So now I have an OS .18CV-R, its not a direct replacement for the 2.5 (it is for the gen1 Maxx .15), but I still made it work, and man whatta engine it is, instant back flips on take off and during accelerating! And it will last me somewhere over 20+gallons of fuel if I take care of her.

If your killing the chassy or suspention then its probibly due to you beating it, the diffs suk, the TRX engines suk, and all the bearings suk. I know that from experiencing the Tmaxx 3.3. Oh, the optidrive module sukx too, it will cut your throttle out for no reason, then come back for 5 to 8 minutes, then cut out again... Changing batteries all the time doesnt help eather, used duracells, energisers, 2300+ MAh Ni-Mh, nuthin works...

Anyway, use the search box, it will be the best thing for you to do at this point.

Cheers!
Old 11-02-2006, 06:45 PM
clknight

Yes, I tuned it. The "without a change in the needles" phrase meant that it just started acting up, having already been well tuned for about 1 week. (It started acting severely out of tune without changing the tuning) Obviously there's something wrong with it however, Traxxas just asked me to send the whole engine and carb back to them. I'll let you guys know what they say.

I've been spending all my days and most of my nights at work, I'll check back as frequently as I can. Thanks to some of you for the replies.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:47 PM
hands without shadows

You gotta tune your engine with the weather.............. Most people tune everytime they run.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:47 PM
savycharlie

If you want to you could get a new truck. Here are some trucks you could get tmaxx, savage.25, savagex, savagex ss 4.6, it is a kit. So if you still want to be drive gas powered trucks what i just listed are some trucks u can get and there are more to. And of course the revo 2.5 Those are just some suggestions.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:45 PM
NitroMedic
My Feedback: (7)

Hey Knight,

Dude, I'm really sorry for your misfortunes with the Revo. [] We run nitros every 2 weeks at my house and one guy (he's 14) runs a Revo. This guy bashes the hell outta his truck and it just keeps on goin'! However, I've been teaching him the ropes of tuning & maintaining his truck. It takes alot of patience & persistence to figure things out with these pesky nitros. Don't get me wrong....he breaks stuff fairly often but he does drive it like he stole it. [8D] Traxxas has a really good reputation here where I'm from.

Like MiamizFinest said.....give us some numbers to go on and some of us would be glad to help a fellow RC brother out.

One last thing....About 3 yrs ago I swore I would never EVER buy another nitro. Those things were nothing but trouble with the tuning issues & such. Well, about 2 months ago my son bought a T-Maxx 2.5 and he absolutely LOVES that truck! Everytime he would say he was going out to run his truck, I was just sitting there waiting for him to come in with a complaint of some sort about the truck not running. Well, it never happened. The only thing I WOULD hear was the sound of a screaming nitro as he flew past the kitchen window at 40 mph! [>:] After witnessing his continued success (and he's 13 yrs old), I got me a 2.5R about a week later. Needless to say, we're some backyard bashin' fools now. [>:]

With all this said.....Let us know what we can do to help ya out.

Shayne
Old 11-03-2006, 07:41 PM
clknight

Thanks for the encouragement. I guess it will all hinge on what Traxxas says about my engine/carb. I'll let you guys know.

Collin
Old 11-16-2006, 10:03 AM
clknight

Update:

After sending the engine and carb back to Texas, they determined that the piston and piston sleeve were defective. These have been replaced and they're sending it back free of charge. It is just added to the list of stuff that has broken when it's only 2 weeks new. I can't complain about Traxxas' product support at all. I'm just not happy with the product. I'll let you guys know what else breaks....
Old 11-16-2006, 02:02 PM
NitroMedic
My Feedback: (7)

Glad to see they're helping you out. Keep us posted, bro!

Shayne
Old 11-16-2006, 02:18 PM
GaRCDude

I sent you a PM CLKnight
Old 11-16-2006, 07:10 PM
ScRacing

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

You gotta tune your engine with the weather.............. Most people tune everytime they run.

lol, get a racing engine and you will have to tune every tank or so for performence. Thats why i am geting a ofna force 32. Large power but not the most, it is easy to tune and with the 2 or so hours of messing with a friends crt, i find it a very well rounded engine even thoe its not a italion racing mill. I can drive and i don't need a $300 engine to win a race, id rather spend under $175 and get the vantage chassis. The engine will also be grate for bashing, i think some peaple get what all they'r friends get just ot fit in and they often over look many facters in why a engine can be the largest waste of money or the best buy ever.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:34 PM
Meziked

You know, I leave mine set....so far I havent had to mess with it after 1/2 gallon, still runns perfect. But I run rich on purpose. Too many WOT runs to lean it too much. I want this engine to last.

When I want to get stupid I swap the .18TM for the 2.5r and run it like I hate it. Well, because I kinda do. The 2.5r is pretty strout if you get the carb sealed and figure out how to tune it. I run it stupid lean, 300 degrees lean.... Piston top is all burnt to crap, but the sleave looks like it new... so hell with it.... Not that worried about destroying it in any way. So far I havent been able to, so that says something right there. The 2.5 is my winter engine now, seem to heat up a heck of alot quicker then the OS (wounder why..hehe) and its not so tight so its easier to start cold. I ditched the EZ-Fart and have a pull and plug lighter. Pull start is by traxxas and Iv had nothing but problems with it....but thats a diffrent threed....

As far as runtunning, yeah the 2.5r needs to be tinkered with everytime you run it.... Seesm if you park it running lean...next start its rich.... Park it rich...next start its so lean its dying.... weird little PITA, but can be fun.... if you have the time.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:55 PM
Kawasakirider

ORIGINAL: Fr33ze

it will last me somewhere over 20+gallons of fuel if I take care of her.

It's good that you're so optimistic LOL. Nitro car engines that do that are freaks. You should be able to get 10 gals out of it if you look after it but 20 gals with good compression, well, I know it has been done heaps of times but seriously dude.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:31 PM
ScRacing

[quote]ORIGINAL: Fr33ze

it will last me somewhere over 20+gallons of fuel if I take care of her.

Yeah man don't keep your hopes up. There are self proclaimed experts that say they have got over 20 gallons but if they do then they aren't driving it, its like getting 400,000 miles out of a small block chevy. They run awsome for the first 80,000. After that they go down hill and once they hit the 200,000 mark they are not anyfun.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Kawasakirider

I'd be betting most engines would last between 6-8 gallons under normal operation and maintenance, you can still rebuild them though.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:37 AM
Trick440

It seems like there are two types of RC trucks, .. Those that are broke, and those that are about to break.

lol... its pretty true. I know with me, If I have good outtings where nothing breaks I get to the point where I try and break something, with a huge jump, or trying to climb a tree, fence or some other rediculas object. Sometimes it breaks sometimes its only limping...
Old 11-18-2006, 11:07 AM
reflexsa

I really think that you guys are doing something wrong with your trucks. Ive bashed mine like no tomorrow, the only thing ive broken was a couple of shock shafts, thats coz my oil was too thick and I had the hardest springs to, other than that my truck runs alot more than my friends savages.

Old 11-24-2006, 05:50 PM
clknight

Alright guys. I took my Revo out to break it in with the new piston/piston sleeving. After the break in period, I ran approx 1.5 tanks of gas through it. (I was running on a flat dirt track at moderate speed) The engine started revving very high, as if is wasn't loaded. I expected a stripped spur gear. Wrong....there were two gears inside the transmission that were completely stripped. When I took the transmission apart, plastic shreds just started falling out.

If any of you hardcore fans who were bashing me earlier want to make a reasonable offer on my Lemon 3.3, send me a PM and I'll give you my email. I have all of the original accessories with it. The piston/piston sleeving have about 1.5 hours of run time on them. The new engine really does sound great. The whole thing is just over a month old.

If I can sell it, that would be the only good reason NOT to set my Revo on fire and throw it off of a cliff.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:34 AM
SIM2U
Banned

I am at a total loss as to how someone could have so much trouble with one the EASIEST trucks out of the box that even my naphew of youger years can run it without any problems...? You should go and convert to electric lol...less problems for you perhaps.

I really am 100% confused...what are you doing that makes it so...?

ORIGINAL: clknight

Alright guys. I took my Revo out to break it in with the new piston/piston sleeving. After the break in period, I ran approx 1.5 tanks of gas through it. (I was running on a flat dirt track at moderate speed) The engine started revving very high, as if is wasn't loaded. I expected a stripped spur gear. Wrong....there were two gears inside the transmission that were completely stripped. When I took the transmission apart, plastic shreds just started falling out.

If any of you hardcore fans who were bashing me earlier want to make a reasonable offer on my Lemon 3.3, send me a PM and I'll give you my email. I have all of the original accessories with it. The piston/piston sleeving have about 1.5 hours of run time on them. The new engine really does sound great. The whole thing is just over a month old.

If I can sell it, that would be the only good reason NOT to set my Revo on fire and throw it off of a cliff.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:56 AM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

Unfortunately, the reverse gear in the Revo is a weak-link... I think if you did a FOC on it, you'd be good. It's sad to hear someone so disheartened by the Revo... it's grown a reputation of being one of the best trucks on the market...
Old 11-26-2006, 01:16 PM
maxxteezyyy

Revos go hard. I race on hellish tracks and pack up without a scratch all the time. Get your maintainence game up rookie.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:42 PM
clknight

Get my maintenance game up? No....maintenance is to keep stuff from breaking. The Revo seems to skip a few steps and go right to broken.

Rookie? After about 4 years of nitro experience, you must set your "intermediate" standards high.

You can't blame a 3 week old piston and transmission failing (twice) on "maintenance". Or, if you can, I would like to hear your explanation.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:46 PM
clknight

ORIGINAL: maxxteezyyy
I race on hellish tracks
You know, I was wondering how people can race a Revo without it breaking, given the experience that I've had with mine. Then I saw one at the hobby shop the other day. There was NOTHING stock on it, except the chassis. I can understand how they can be reliable once you replace everything with a few hundred dollars worth of parts.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:46 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

I think you just got a lemon... it happens with mass produced things... before you go spouting off about how "crappy" the Revo is... do your homework ... check out a few of the vids here...
http://mvbashers.org/forumdisplay.php?f=58 (you probably will have to register...)
and here...
http://www.renegaderevo.com/videos.html
and here...
http://www.slapmafro.com
and last but not least... here...
http://www.beaverstick.net

and instead of arguing with everyone that is trying to help you with your problem (when I read your issue, maintainance was the first thing that popped into my mind)... maybe you could try to take some advice?
Old 11-26-2006, 03:37 PM
clknight

I thanked the people who helped. And I'll flame the people who take a jab as though it's my fault.

I watched those types of vids before, that is why my expectations were so high when I bought my Revo. It's nothing like the movies....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.