Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

Good reasons to set my Revo on fire and throw it off of a cliff:

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Good reasons to set my Revo on fire and throw it off of a cliff:

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 07:12 PM
clknight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good reasons to set my Revo on fire and throw it off of a cliff:

I've never brought my Revo 3.3 back from running it without something being broken, no matter how hard or easy I've been running it. Most of the time, I don't make it past an hour without something breaking. I've broken numerous rod ends, spur gear, replaced the throttle servo, the hub nut "welded" itself to the hub, transmission gear stripped out/replaced/reverse still doesn't work....etc. Now, I'm back up 100% mechanically (Well, 90% since I still can't use reverse). Then what? Oh, yeah, I start having engine problems. It's EXTREMELY hard to start, when it does run, I need to keep throttle on it or it will shut off, or it will turn off at full throttle if it feels like it. All this on a spur of the moment with no change in the high/low speed needles. Oh, yeah. I've had it for 3 weeks. I expected lots of upkeep/TLC after running it, remembering my days of flying R/C planes. But this is pathetic. If it didn't cost so much it would be in the garbage can. I don't know if many of you have had this experience. If there are any good reasons to stay in this hobby, please tell me....before I put my sledge hammer to good use.

So right now I'm completely disassembling the engine, cleaning it out, washing out the gas tank, fuel lines, and carb to try to find the root of the problem. And, of course, a wire snaps off of the EZ start when I'm taking it off, which I imagine, is the inevitable fate of the glow plug lead wire. Man those things are crap. Even if I get it back up and running again, I'll cringe everytime I squeeze the throttle back wondering, "What's going to break next?"

Once again, if there are any good words supporting this hobby, or if you've ever had engine problems like this, please tell me.

Very disappointing.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:20 PM
legbuh

Default RE: Good reasons to set my Revo on fire and throw it off of a cliff:

Sorry to hear of all your problems. I do believe you are a minority, though. Or not sure what you're doing. My 3.3 Maxx only breaks stuff when I do dumb stuff, like jumping it 20 feet and landing on the lid (read broken engine mount, possibly a stripped spur). Or running into a brick at 40mph, thus a broken hinge pin.

But, that's the most of it. And revos are supposed to be tougher than TMaxxes...

When you have an engine problem, you need to start looking for the cause of the problem. I can't tell here if you're griping or asking for help. But, my first inkling is air leak.

I'll take it off your hands if it's that bad.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:21 PM
clknight

Yeah, I'm griping and asking for help.

You'll take if off of my hands? lol. It's not worth the postage, but I'll throw it as far as I can....
Old 10-27-2006, 07:23 PM
89ram

WOW! are you sure you did'nt get a warhead? i've never heard so many complaints about a revo! i'm not doubting you, just suprised! i could use spare parts if you're that upset with it. pm me if you're done with it.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:39 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the tranny gears stripping, install a forward only conversion (FOC) and you will probably not have any more problems with the tranny.

Throttle servos can be a problem on the Revo. Make sure when you install the new one there is absolutely no binding in the linkage and it moves smoothly. If it is binding a little bit, it will wear out prematurely. I burned up a couple Hitec 645MG servos before I discovered I was tightening the linkage on the servo horn too tight. It must be able to move smoothly. Some people remove the return spring off the throttle linkage and the servos last longer.

The Traxxas motors can be finicky. I had a world of problems with mine, but I was also very new at tuning. I switched to an OS motor and it made a world of difference.

The Revo is worth it, just keep trying until you get it figured out. Take a look at some RPM arms and the FOC I mentioned. They will make it a lot more reliable. Then order a spare diff from ebay. That is the part I break the most any more.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Kawasakirider

I know what you mean when you say you will cringe everytime you get on the throttle. When I got my savage, during break in on grass going slow, barely ANY load my rear diff died. I went through heaps of rear diffs until I shimmed them PROPERLY (LHS SUCKS) and put high temp high load castrol EPL2 grease into my rear diff. I was worried it would break again until I had about 5-6 tanks on this new diff and I saw what it would do. RTR trucks are good, but they do have some flaws off the assembly line, IMO the best guess is to strip your truck, CLEAN EVERYTHING, lube everything and put proper stuff in your diffs, take out your optidrive because your reverse doesn't work, install an FOC. Also do what you are doing with the trx 3.3, strip it, clean it, replace the fuel line and fill your sink with water and put the CLOSED tank in there and see if you can see any bubbles, no bubbles your good to go. Make sure you have a piece of new fuel tubing on both of the nipples though otherwise you'll get water in the tank. Best of luck.

Trent
Old 10-27-2006, 07:44 PM
clknight

Thanks for the advice! I had actually planned to disconnect everything, clean the hoses, fill them and the tank with water, then apply pressure to the hose that comes off of the muffler and see if the water goes anywhere but where it should. I figure as long as I let everything dry well enough it doesn't matter if I get it wet. Well, it's off to the garage for hour number 20 of Revo troubleshooting.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:46 PM
89ram

add a failsafe. the last thing you need is for something to go wrong and it goes full speed on its own into who-knows-what.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:55 PM
audio dynamics

LOL I have a 3.3 and have also had many problems owned it 2 months now and chagned the spru gear 3 times finally put on a metal one which snapped in 2 pieces. so I went back to the plastic 1 and once again chewed the teeth off only to find out the gear on the clutch is worn down probably from the metal gear that lasted 2 warm up runs and 1 30 foot run hit a curb and the gear was done.
4 days after I bought it I broke the forward gear after hitting a street sign at 35-40mph had to rebuild it -"pretty easy to do" took 25 minutes .Now I pull the motor to change the little 15t clutch gear and bang the motor mound was broke so I found out why the spur gears kept getting zipped. so other than having to change plastic gears.This thing take a serious beating I take it to the local dirt bike track and get this thing about 8-10 feet in the air it flips crashes down and keeps going but I do give it a once over after everytime I take it out ,Just to make sure I didnt break anything. i think for a toy it is pretty durable once you get it setup and tweak it out it's a lot of fun.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:12 PM
dude7422

CLKNIGHT IS THIS YOUR FIRST REAL RC TRUCK JUST A QUESTION
JUST TAKE YOUR TIME AND LEARN THE TRUCK YOUR RUNNING
MYRC10GT IS DIFFERENT THEN MY TMAXX IN EVERY WAY
AS FOR THE TUNING MOVE THE SET SCREW 1/64TH OF A INCH AT A TIME
SO YOU BROKE THE EZ START WIRE EASY FIX
Old 11-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Traxxas_Tech
My Feedback: (22)

If you are having troubles and need help, its a toll free number away. 1-888-Traxxas. Call them and spend 10 minutes on the phone instead of hours online and in the garage. There's a solution for any issue and they are very helpful.

All three of my Revos run like CHAMPS!
Old 11-01-2006, 07:10 PM
bennyblanco

this title needs a little fixin!!

Good reasons to set my self on fire and throw my self off of a cliff!!

that sounds a lot better to me!!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:16 PM
Fiegs

this title needs a little fixin!!

Good reasons to set my self on fire and throw my self off of a cliff!!

that sounds a lot better to me!!
lol good idea

some body just getting into the hobby could come in here asking about the revo
when he sees your title he will be over in the hpi forum instantly
Old 11-01-2006, 10:16 PM
Cloak

No kidding, if you hate it so much I'd be happy to pay you postage and have you send it to me. I'll convert it to an e-revo as I already have a big block revo that I really like. It'll have a good home here.

Seriously though, sounds more like user error about not knowing how to run your truck than your truck having problems.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:29 PM
holinger91

sounds like some others of u posting of ur probs are trying to drive with youre eyes cloesd :P i usually keep em open, maybe eyes closed is the new thing :P lol jk, yea i dont see many threads on how they hate their revo :O
Old 11-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Meziked

You know, since Im such a nice guy... Just go ahead and let me take that headache off your hands. Then you can be happy and stress free. I'll even give you a couple bucks for shipping.

Im here for you man!!!!
Old 11-01-2006, 11:40 PM
holinger91

rofl ^
Old 11-02-2006, 12:28 AM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Hell, I'll give you 50 bux shipped, and voila, problem solved
Old 11-02-2006, 12:33 AM
oregonrevoman

other that my engine being hard to tune, (i just replaced the piston and sleeve), my revo has just taken a beating and has fared vary well
Old 11-02-2006, 03:08 AM
splcrazy

the only problems with my revo 3.3 is that the reverse is starting to **** itself so i try to avoid using reverse and the transmitter died had to get that fixed other than that it goes bloody strong and rips chunks of dirt out of the ground like a dirt bike lol ive had it for 3 months now ive also got other on road cars that sometime causes problems but hey this is the game of rc hobby you just need patience and in the end itll all work out
Old 11-02-2006, 04:07 AM
BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX
My Feedback: (1)

Guys, stop trying to rip his truck. He obviously has isnt an r/c noob, read this post.....

Thanks for the advice! I had actually planned to disconnect everything, clean the hoses, fill them and the tank with water, then apply pressure to the hose that comes off of the muffler and see if the water goes anywhere but where it should. I figure as long as I let everything dry well enough it doesn't matter if I get it wet. Well, it's off to the garage for hour number 20 of Revo troubleshooting.

His revo is obviously giving him headaches and the majority of you guys are asking for his truck or ripping on him.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:53 AM
SIM2U
Banned

You must be a complete and total NOOBIE to be able to do what you have done...no offence of course. But I was shocked into a state of perpetual stupor after reading your post. My naphew is like 12 years old bro. He knows didly squate about nitro and after an afternoon of basic teaching, he had his revo up and running himself out of the box. The only thing he has broken out of the box was his front lowers...but that was his fault for doing something bloody stupid and thinking that his revo was super man instead of a RC with design perameters and functional specs. 4 months later he has not broken a thing and he is a 12 year old bro...we all know how they treat their stuff, like trash. But he is still going strong.

Hey, just send your revo to me and Ill give ot to my other naphew. Sorry to hear about your probs, but...just give it to me, Ill be happy to relieve you of your apparent revo torture.

ORIGINAL: clknight

I've never brought my Revo 3.3 back from running it without something being broken, no matter how hard or easy I've been running it. Most of the time, I don't make it past an hour without something breaking. I've broken numerous rod ends, spur gear, replaced the throttle servo, the hub nut "welded" itself to the hub, transmission gear stripped out/replaced/reverse still doesn't work....etc. Now, I'm back up 100% mechanically (Well, 90% since I still can't use reverse). Then what? Oh, yeah, I start having engine problems. It's EXTREMELY hard to start, when it does run, I need to keep throttle on it or it will shut off, or it will turn off at full throttle if it feels like it. All this on a spur of the moment with no change in the high/low speed needles. Oh, yeah. I've had it for 3 weeks. I expected lots of upkeep/TLC after running it, remembering my days of flying R/C planes. But this is pathetic. If it didn't cost so much it would be in the garbage can. I don't know if many of you have had this experience. If there are any good reasons to stay in this hobby, please tell me....before I put my sledge hammer to good use.

So right now I'm completely disassembling the engine, cleaning it out, washing out the gas tank, fuel lines, and carb to try to find the root of the problem. And, of course, a wire snaps off of the EZ start when I'm taking it off, which I imagine, is the inevitable fate of the glow plug lead wire. Man those things are crap. Even if I get it back up and running again, I'll cringe everytime I squeeze the throttle back wondering, "What's going to break next?"

Once again, if there are any good words supporting this hobby, or if you've ever had engine problems like this, please tell me.

Very disappointing.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:54 AM
SIM2U
Banned

i just had a thought...maybe you should buy a "Warhead" instead, you might have better luck...?

ORIGINAL: clknight

Very disappointing.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:33 AM
TriPower

I've had my Revo for a few months, and I still love it. Sure, it comes home broken almost every time I take it out, but it's not exactly difficult to work on. Other than the obvious defects in the reverse system, all the problems are from rough driving and crashes.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:33 AM
Super E-MAXX

I was thinking of buying a Revo 3.3 for my second MT. How hard are they to tune and how many times driving it until I would break a comrod

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.