Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

E Maxx good for a 10yr old?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 11:59 AM
Trick440

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E Maxx good for a 10yr old?

Is an Emaxx a good electric truck for a 10 yr old? Hes had limited experiance on an TA Rc10T probably only a couple hours drive time if that.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:07 PM
cotton_eye_joe92

Default RE: E Maxx good for a 10yr old?

From what I've heard the E-Maxx is pretty durable. Somewhere I saw a video of it bashing and it was taking a beating.

I think it'd be a great way to start your son in with the hobby. I would just make sure he knows what he's doing first.

Reminds me of how RC made and still does make my father and I have a big bond together.

-Joe
Old 11-26-2006, 12:58 PM
Fiegs

If he had never driven a real r/c before I would say get a Stampede.
But since he has some driving time under his belt he should do fine with the E-maxx.
Just have to make sure you explain the manual shifting.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:51 PM
Bombers_410

the emaxx is fragile. The stampede is very durable and simple to work on so it would be perfict for a 10 year old. its 2wd and the xl5 version is about as fast as an emaxx anyway.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:44 PM
mjones911

When my daughter was 8 I got her a electric PEDE. It is very durable easy to work on yet can wheelie, take big air, and bang with the best. She is now 9.5 and loves (and drives) my Savage 25 and my T Maxx. I upgraded her to a nitro stampede. I would agree with everyone so far, maybe start with a pede, then go E Maxx. If you are comfortable with the EMaxx go for it first. It sounds like the 10yr old has some drive time, so it shouldn't hurt.

Old 11-26-2006, 09:56 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

10-13 is when kids really begin to fully develop hand-eye coordination skills, so RC would be a excellent hobby for them. I would have to agree that a Stampede is a better choice for a 10 year old though, since its tougher than an E-Maxx (stock anyway), and easier to work on (simpler 2WD chassis layout). Or you could get an E-Maxx and teach him how to drive it (like that its not like a Nikko car with all or nothing control and such). I teach kids down the street how to drive whatever RC I happen to be driving at the time, and they enjoy it. Just turn down the EPA on the throttle, and take it slow first.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:06 PM
Trick440

I didn't know the Emaxx was a weak truck.

Would the Stampede be much of an upgrade over the old RC10t? Maybe I should just refresh the the RC10 with a new motor, and a sweet battery?

Its hard for me to judge, only RC I have owned was the Revo, and that Rc10t.

Heres what that truck looks like for those who arnt familuar.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:30 PM
BXMaxx

I think a emaxx should be good for your son. My dad had bought a tmaxx when i was 9 and a nitro 4tec when i was 10, i still have yet to breax something but him on the other hand has broken it a few times.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:32 AM
gkcontra

Ahhh the memories, I had the exact same truck a few years back. I would say go for the emaxx only because of the 4wd. To me, 4wd is easier to drive and the emaxx can be upgraded later on for track use if you feel like it. My son is 9 and is getting a Pro .15 TMAXX for xmas so i may be a bit biased. He has been driveing a micro rs4 since 5 1/2 and a mini t for a bit and has now started with my racing tmaxx so he will be ready for it.

i guess you have to judge how well your son can judge the width of the vehicle and handle throttle control without going WOT the whole time.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:13 AM
DaveG55

If it were me I'd just set him up with the RC10t. Give him a bit of time on that then consider getting him something different. By then he may want nitro too, or an MT, or on road, or whatever.....
Unless of course this is a thinly vieled excuse for dad to get a new truck to play with too (been there, done that)......
Old 11-27-2006, 12:31 PM
SlowDriver

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

Unless of course this is a thinly vieled excuse for dad to get a new truck to play with too (been there, done that)......
I've pulled that one too!

1. With these RC's comes maintenance. Who will be doing this maintenance?
2. The Emaxx and Stampede are nowhere near the same type of truck, in my opinion. While I might recommend a Stampede for the true beginner, to see if they even want to participate in RC, I think I would recommend the EMaxx in this case. While your son is getting used to it, you should be able to adjust either truck's maximum speed down for controllability. When he gets better, make it faster.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:12 PM
Trick440

Thanks for the advise guys.

I think we will try the Emaxx.... and yes I wouldn't mind checking one out myself. My wife was saying the same thing about, me wanting it as much as the kid.

I told her naw.... "I'm buying another Revo, and then sinking another $1k into it to make it a brushless on Lipos." oohh gawd.... that didn't go over well. [:@]
Old 12-29-2006, 05:25 PM
viperboy1115

I think bombers 410 is right. Both trucks are great but if he has only had a couple of hours with a truck, he should get the stampede. I have an E-maxx and I got it on my twelth birthday (right now, i'm only thirteen) and I still find it just a little bit hard to drive. So I would sugjest the stampede based on what you have said about the experience your son has. Also, the E-maxx would be a great second truck because it is very very durable. I have not had a single part break on it so far.
Tell me how it goes.

Josh C.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:09 AM
clockwork1

Im 14 and have an emaxx, i got it when i was 13. Right away it was cake for me to drive. Just make sure you have a good amount of space because for a first timer or a person new"er" to the hobby the emaxx is BIG and pretty fast. It can be dangerous too.lol. I say make sure you have room because a truck "parked on the side of the street" was in my blind spot and i lodged my brand new emaxx under a lil toyota on Christmas morning. I mean this thing was stuck real good, so we had to bring out a jack, left up my neighbors car, get the maxx out , without them ever knowing. lol. Maybe a stampede is a good route for him to go because its smaller, easier to work on, easier to understand and a little less pricey.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:38 AM
cubmaster
My Feedback: (51)

E-Maxx all the way

Unless you get the E-Savage

I know some will think this is a terrrible thing to say but the have good revues and the olny thing missing is a two speed but they'll have that or a three speed soon I'm sure
Old 12-30-2006, 02:48 AM
rcmaniac24

in the 3 years i have had mine i have only brokem two thing.. the rear bulkheads and that was because i took it off a roof of a house and it is almost bone stock (own a revo and savage)
Old 12-30-2006, 09:34 PM
clockwork1

yeah, i only broke one thing on mine. It wouldnt have happend if i didnt clip the wall going pretty fast at my friends house. The only reason that it broke is because i messed with the stock skid plate and it didnt help support the front left bulk head any more
Old 12-30-2006, 11:24 PM
Timmahh
Banned

Emaxx are fine. they re pretty durable stock. the stampede is simplier in design, but the maxx will go/do things the pedes cant do.

Timmahh
Old 12-31-2006, 04:35 AM
pimptruck

Ya, go with the E-maxx. I have one, it isn't to hard to drive or anything, really my first hobby quality truck, and I love it. But like clockwork1 said, make sure there is plenty of room.(I ran into my dads foot, it hurt, bad, even though I was braking)