Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Picco .26 Maxx linkage problems (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 09:10 PM
LSTVega28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picco .26 Maxx linkage problems (Pics)

I try to get my revo together as quickly as possible yesterday to break in my motor and noticed a few things wrong. I installed a new Z270 for throttle and Futaba 3PM for electronics. With this setup, my carb opens up 1/4 the way it should be(battery fully charged on radio and receiver). It was fine with the stock servo and radio. I checked to see if my screws were too tight and they werent. I honestly don't know what to do with that, I will try installing a HS 645MG for my throttle servo. Also put on a Trinity Pipe to go with my Picco. SO when I go to put my tubing back on, the nozzle is pointing at an extreme angle where I cant reach. I call my brother(3spdsavage), he tells me to take out the HSN and readjust the nozzle. So I do that, tighten the HSN, back out 4 turns.

I go to start my motor and it's starting but shutts off very quickly. I am positive this is pure user error(I am a dumbass lol). Can anyone point me in the right direction. When it came to engines, my bro would usually install them...but now he isn't with me as I moved.I gotta learn this stuff quick or I will stay a complete noob as I am now. This was also my first time taking out the motor out of my Revo, I am used to the 4 screws from my previous Savage 25.

I appreciate you reading my long post, any help would be super! So pretty much my main question here is why isn't my engine staying on and my carb only opening up 1/4 the way.

-Mo

Go to last post for new pics/problems
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64360.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	691417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68298.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	691418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91863.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	691419  
Old 05-25-2007, 09:58 PM
LSTVega28

Default RE: My noob status was confirmed(Picco .26 MAX)

I read up on the linkage, do I have to remove the HSN again to move the carb to a position where the carb opens up all the way?

I dont exactly understand exactly what OFNA wants me to set it back to factory. When do I stop turning? When I cant turn anymore or when I feel a litle resistance?
Old 05-25-2007, 10:26 PM
IOWAREVO

OK, take my comments with a grain of salt, cuz I'm not familiar with the Picco Max motor install but here is what I see:

The engine is pitched toward the center, but that maybe ok due to the mount.

The carb not opening may be due to a couple of things. Throttle servo not centered. Fixull the horn, zero out trim, turn on, re-seat horn, position collar & tighten. The is in the manual. The real problem, IMHO is how the carb is twisted. See how the servo tries to push the trottle link back and the slider out. The slider doesn't just stay parallel with the arm, it wants the go up a little. I think you binding the slider. Take the engine out and turn the truck on, go full throttle, the throttle arm ("L" thingy) should almost be pointing out towards the side of the truck, neutral it should point straight ahead like you have it. If that looks good then it's how the carb is angled on the engine block. You need to rotate the carb so the slider moves just left to right ...no up or down angle. Get that working first, then adjust the HSN .

The idle gap looks small to me but like I said I don't know the Picco. The start, then stall scenario usually means its starting off the prime then it starves so I would richen the HSN and raise the idle a little to get it running.

typical mounting: 4 screws on top mounts engine, 4 screws on bottom allows you to adjust meshing with the spur. Once you get the mesh right, tighten the bottom ones and only used the top to take out the engine. That way the mesh stays good unless you change gears.

Hope this gets you going.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:38 PM
LSTVega28

ORIGINAL: IOWAREVO

OK, take my comments with a grain of salt, cuz I'm not familiar with the Picco Max motor install but here is what I see:

The engine is pitched toward the center, but that maybe ok due to the mount.

The carb not opening may be due to a couple of things. Throttle servo not centered. Fixull the horn, zero out trim, turn on, re-seat horn, position collar & tighten. The is in the manual. The real problem, IMHO is how the carb is twisted. See how the servo tries to push the trottle link back and the slider out. The slider doesn't just stay parallel with the arm, it wants the go up a little. I think you binding the slider. Take the engine out and turn the truck on, go full throttle, the throttle arm ("L" thingy) should almost be pointing out towards the side of the truck, neutral it should point straight ahead like you have it. If that looks good then it's how the carb is angled on the engine block. You need to rotate the carb so the slider moves just left to right ...no up or down angle. Get that working first, then adjust the HSN .

The idle gap looks small to me but like I said I don't know the Picco. The start, then stall scenario usually means its starting off the prime then it starves so I would richen the HSN and raise the idle a little to get it running.

typical mounting: 4 screws on top mounts engine, 4 screws on bottom allows you to adjust meshing with the spur. Once you get the mesh right, tighten the bottom ones and only used the top to take out the engine. That way the mesh stays good unless you change gears.

Hope this gets you going.
Thanks for the Info, I will try it. I took the motor out, and I am trying to move the carb, I took the screw behind the carb to remove, carb wont nudge at all[&o]
Old 05-25-2007, 10:48 PM
IOWAREVO

gently twist it ...it will move. don't force it, the screw behind the carb may need to come out completely...I'll check exploded drawing of your engine.

Can't tell from the the drawing. You'll just need to play with it a little to figure it out. Just don't get frustrated, be patient with it, it will move. Here's the exploded drawing so you can see how it all fits together.

#51460 is the screw to loosen the carb

http://www.nitrohouse.com/picco%2026%20max.htm
Old 05-25-2007, 11:13 PM
LSTVega28

gently twist it ...it will move. don't force it, the screw behind the carb may need to come out completely...I'll check exploded drawing of your engine.

Can't tell from the the drawing. You'll just need to play with it a little to figure it out. Just don't get frustrated, be patient with it, it will move. Here's the exploded drawing so you can see how it all fits together.

#51460 is the screw to loosen the carb

http://www.nitrohouse.com/picco%2026%20max.htm
THat's the one I removed. I will sleep on it, it's late and I am tired of working. I am just a little frustrated after spending 275 on a engine/pipe combo and I can't get it to work . I will head up to the shop and see what they can do with the carb and needle settings. So I stop when I feel some presuure right? not when it completely stops turning?
Old 05-25-2007, 11:26 PM
IOWAREVO

On where to call fully in on the HSN?? yes...don't crank it down, just when it starts to get snug. Post tomorrow after the shop visit, I want to here what they did.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:26 PM
LSTVega28

On where to call fully in on the HSN?? yes...don't crank it down, just when it starts to get snug. Post tomorrow after the shop visit, I want to here what they did.
I couldnt go to the shop today, was at a car dealer all day with my parents. I did take the motor out though, I gonna go and try to nudge the carb. Plus, the guy at my shop hits on me(ez2fly).
Old 05-26-2007, 09:50 PM
ez2fly09

Hey this is the guy at your shop fag, lol. Well noob (aka Moeed) if you weren't a complete noob at anything that has R & C in the same sentence, we spent 9 hours trying to get your **** together, and you couldnt even get your clutch shoes together, NOOB lol. Maybe it will run tomorrow and we can break in you POS
Old 05-26-2007, 09:51 PM
LSTVega28

ORIGINAL: ez2fly09

Hey this is the guy at your shop fag, lol. Well noob (aka Moeed) if you weren't a complete noob at anything that has R & C in the same sentence, we spent 9 hours trying to get your **** together, and you couldnt even get your clutch shoes together, NOOB lol. Maybe it will run tomorrow and we can break in you POS
9 hours literally.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:17 PM
Uglysteve

Ok, Moeed,

To get the car out you have to remove the pinch bolt. Tha's a three part assembly, including the screw and two halves of the pinch bolt. To get it out, do the following:

Back the screw out half way.
With wrench still in the screw, smack the wrench with the palm of your hand till the first half of the pinch bolt comes out. (it's better to lay the engine down to do this)
Take a larger allen wrench and stick it in the hole you just opened up and place it against the other side of the pinch bolt. Smack it till it comes out.
Gently twist your carb till you can adjust it freely.
While adjusting the carb, manually move the throttle linkage until you notice it becoming easier to open/close. There should be no resistance in the slide.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:57 AM
LSTVega28

I will try to rotate the carb where I can get a free moving carb. I wil lalso replace my servo(waiting on ez2fly09), that could be one of my problems also.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Traxxas_Tech
My Feedback: (22)

Have you checked the travel settings on your radio? Your linkage may be fine, but your radio not allowing full travel. The dead giveaway would be when you said it worked fine with the TQ system.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:06 PM
LSTVega28

ORIGINAL: Traxxas_Tech

Have you checked the travel settings on your radio? Your linkage may be fine, but your radio not allowing full travel. The dead giveaway would be when you said it worked fine with the TQ system.
IT worked fine WITH the TRX 3.3...I have a Picco .26 Max (kicked that pos 3.3 to the curb)
Old 05-29-2007, 02:02 PM
Traxxas_Tech
My Feedback: (22)

ORIGINAL: RevoVega28

I try to get my revo together as quickly as possible yesterday to break in my motor and noticed a few things wrong. I installed a new Z270 for throttle and Futaba 3PM for electronics. With this setup, my carb opens up 1/4 the way it should be(battery fully charged on radio and receiver). It was fine with the stock servo and radio. I checked to see if my screws were too tight and they werent. I honestly don't know what to do with that, I will try installing a HS 645MG for my throttle servo. Also put on a Trinity Pipe to go with my Picco. SO when I go to put my tubing back on, the nozzle is pointing at an extreme angle where I cant reach.

I go to start my motor and it's starting but shutts off very quickly. I am positive this is pure user error(I am a dumbass lol). Can anyone point me in the right direction. When it came to engines, my bro would usually install them...but now he isn't with me as I moved.I gotta learn this stuff quick or I will stay a complete noob as I am now. This was also my first time taking out the motor out of my Revo, I am used to the 4 screws from my previous Savage 25.

-Mo

Well, since you're the self proclaimed noob, I'd give the 3.3 the benefit of the doubt if I were you, and stop calling it a "pos" unless you don't want my help.

I understand you have new the .26 installed. Its a good engine. Your radio setup apparently has changed as well and may require attention. If you can manipulate the linkage by hand and fully open and close the carb mechanically, make sure your throttle channel ATV is adjusted to move the linkage all the way open and that your servo is centered and your 3PM programmable neutrals are set at 0. Also check to make sure your subtrims and endpoints are adjusted as well to allow proper travel.

Mechanically, your linkages look pretty good. [8D]
Old 05-29-2007, 02:22 PM
3spdsavage

i agree...the 3.3 is a pos.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:37 PM
LSTVega28

ORIGINAL: Traxxas_Tech

ORIGINAL: RevoVega28

I try to get my revo together as quickly as possible yesterday to break in my motor and noticed a few things wrong. I installed a new Z270 for throttle and Futaba 3PM for electronics. With this setup, my carb opens up 1/4 the way it should be(battery fully charged on radio and receiver). It was fine with the stock servo and radio. I checked to see if my screws were too tight and they werent. I honestly don't know what to do with that, I will try installing a HS 645MG for my throttle servo. Also put on a Trinity Pipe to go with my Picco. SO when I go to put my tubing back on, the nozzle is pointing at an extreme angle where I cant reach.

-Mo

Well, since you're the self proclaimed noob, I'd give the 3.3 the benefit of the doubt if I were you, and stop calling it a "pos" unless you don't want my help.

I understand you have new the .26 installed. Its a good engine. Your radio setup apparently has changed as well and may require attention. If you can manipulate the linkage by hand and fully open and close the carb mechanically, make sure your throttle channel ATV is adjusted to move the linkage all the way open and that your servo is centered and your 3PM programmable neutrals are set at 0. Also check to make sure your subtrims and endpoints are adjusted as well to allow proper travel.

Mechanically, your linkages look pretty good. [8D]
I did all of that, only thing I am not sure iabout is my throttle servo torque. You said that the traxxas stock was stronger than the Z270? Then that's my problem, I am getting a HS 645MG hopefully today...that should be enough torque to pull it. But I think my main problem is the carb position on my picco .
Old 05-29-2007, 03:06 PM
crazy maxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hint with the engine. dont expect the one way shft to last as long as the motor. it a direct drive an wears down after a while and accts like the one way is stripped and when u look at the shaft u can c the wearing of the one way. with other ofnas it slippes so the one way shaft dosent move but this is a direct drive.so the one way is always spinning.
with the problem u have i dont no what it is. i still run futaba stuff (old school). any ways it sounds like the motor is out of tune.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Nitro Blazer 2

I had this problem on My T-Maxx with my Picco Max .21. Actually I've had it for months and just decided to check the carburator the other day. Found it was not opening up hardly 3/4s. I turned the carb straight and spaced the little lever up on the post for a straighter path of motion and it worked petty good, not the smoothest but it definatley gets to full throttle now. It did a backflip in the yard earlier, landed on the wheels and kept going. I'm going to try to make a taller post and put bearings on it. Or get a rear facing exhaust and mount a servo there just for the throttle and have a seperate for the brake.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:02 PM
LSTVega28

Default RE: Picco .26 Maxx linkage problems (Pics)

Well I tried alot of things, only thing yet to try is installing a new stronger servo. With the throttle return spring, the carb will barely open. It's been a week and havent broke in the motor. Now I am getting irritated, ready to throw this picco off of a cliff...any help would is appreciated.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:16 PM
LSTVega28

Do I need a quicker servo?
Old 05-30-2007, 09:28 PM
Uglysteve

You need [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/6774]THIS Servo.[/link][sm=what_smile.gif]
Old 05-30-2007, 10:19 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats way to much for a throttle servo IMO. if you upgrade a throttle servo it should just be fast, not really strong. Its not the carb thats the matter. Its the collar on the linkage. In the 3rd pic on post 20, your linkage isn't even touching the collar. You want to move the linkage(with the servo horn off) to sit snug against the collar. THEN put the servo horn back onto the servo with the linkage against the collar. You should have full throttle then. If not move the collar up a little more so it sits closer to the linkage.

P.S. I know that servo should DEFFINANTLY be able to open that carb because my bro has the same servo controling his STS .30 throttle on his savage. The same goes for my other friend with a picco .27. Its just the linkage I had to do the same for mine.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:50 PM
pinky2252s

i dont own a revo but is the carb supossed to be THAT close to the i forgot what it is the big black gear i want to say fly wheel but thats wrong
Old 05-31-2007, 08:48 AM
LSTVega28

ORIGINAL: broncbuster

You need [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/6774]THIS Servo.[/link][sm=what_smile.gif]
how about the HS 625...or something like that. Has a much quicker time than the 645mg..Nitrovenm, can you take a pic of your bros linkage!That wold be awesome

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.