Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

big block kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 08:18 PM
dirt101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big block kit

Will an sts30dm work on a traxxas big block kit.

Its kinda urgent. so a quick answer would be greatly appreiciated
Old 06-20-2007, 08:33 PM
dirt101

Default RE: big block kit

also will that motor run on the stock exhaust.
I know it will limit its output but will it run without being choked up to the point of choking out.
also will it clear the stock rear a arm with rotostart.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:38 PM
slowpokeRRR

the traxxas mount will work but that exhaust will choke the life outta that motor your gonna have to go side pipe to get the most outtaany big block application!
Old 06-20-2007, 09:14 PM
89ram

i beleive only a newera bb mount will clear the a'arm, unless you also use newera special rear a-arm.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80419.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	707947  
Old 06-20-2007, 09:23 PM
dirt101

what if i use the tekno rc extended wheelbase arms.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:35 PM
CBM Racing

The stock pipe REALLY kills the performance on big blocks. You can probably get it to work by doing what my bro and others have done We put a hpi 4.6 in his revo with a roto start by moving tranny forward on chassis about 3/8-5/16 inches by removing 4 tranny bolts, pulling out tranny, then redrilling chassis holes I THINK 5/16 inch more toward front, then using the offset arms. I picked up a ofna jp2 pipe and header for it after trying stock pipe, and a trinity high flow pipe(totally garbage) and it screams. Hope this helps.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:44 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or just go with the new era mount. Modding the chassies isn't needed with this mount. The only pipe that works best with the sts .30 is the sts inline pipe. There have been countless of people who have tried other pipes but for some reason the sts pipe gave it the best power. If you go into the hpi forums, there is a seperate forum just for sts engines. You might wanna check that out first.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:24 AM
dirt101

Thats an expensive pipe,but i heard it works wonders.

I was thinking along the lines of a $20 mgt pipe but im going on a trip and i will be breaking it in but i dont think i will have the pipe in time.
I will probably move the tranny forward and see if that works if that doesnt work I will just have to use my os .18 for the trip but i guess that will be alrigt.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:35 AM
Kawasakirider

ORIGINAL: dirt101

I was thinking along the lines of a $20 mgt pipe
LMFGDAO. Not on an sts 30 you weren't................
Old 06-21-2007, 09:38 AM
dirt101

Is it that funny? I mean seriously
Old 06-21-2007, 10:14 AM
LSTVega28

ORIGINAL: dirt101

Is it that funny? I mean seriously
Ya, I didn't thank it was that funny either. You were asking a simple question but he had to be a clown.

Honestly, save the money and get a JP-3 or a STS pipe.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:53 AM
BAMF90
My Feedback: (1)

You don't want to run anything other then an STS pipe on an STS engine. They are made specifically for them.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:58 AM
LSTVega28

ORIGINAL: BAMF90

You don't want to run anything other then an STS pipe on an STS engine. They are made specifically for them.
Sometimes that always isnt the best bet. The collari .32, the Werks pipe is any differnt than the Hot bodies Pipe. The weks pipe is made for the Collari but made no differnce .
Old 06-21-2007, 01:55 PM
BigGrump

I was thinking along the lines of a $20 mgt pipe but im going on a trip and i will be breaking it in but i dont think i will have the pipe in time.
I will probably move the tranny forward and see if that works if that doesnt work I will just have to use my os .18 for the trip but i guess that will be alrigt.

Well, I have a Revo 2.5 with a STS .30 in it using a Qoncepts kit. I at first used the MGT pipe and it worked just fine. I recently switched to a side pipe using the recommended STS pipe from STS for the .30. I like the looks and it is cool having the exhaust come out the side, and it looks real racey. The MGT pipe worked just as well, but a little lowder. For 20.oo and ease of installation you can not do better than the MGT pipe. The STS .30 is a fine engine in the Revo, especially with the roto-start and RPM A-arms it can be used with a Qoncepts kit, but I have never found the STS .30 as great as some people say. I have two of them and one is modified by a very popular person with the STS's. So, go ahead and use the MGT pipe, it is WAY, WAY, WAY better with the STS than the stock revo pipe.

Hope this helps.

Dennis
Old 06-21-2007, 02:39 PM
NitroVenom

^^^How many gallons do you have threw the motor so far. For this motor it takes a full gallon to break in. Then you need to take out the shims and set those up right... Not untill you do all of this will the motor really show it power. I think anything bigger then a .26 in a revo 2.5 will be awsome power.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:15 PM
BigGrump

The STS .30 in the Revo I have has well over three gallons through it. Two gallons were used for break-in care. It has lots of compression and no "pinch" left. It is at it's peak on 20% O'Donnells. Only uses one of the thick copper shimms.

Dennis
Old 06-22-2007, 12:46 PM
dirt101

what gearing are you running i was thinking 18-20 cluthchbell and a 36 spur.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:00 PM
BigGrump

what gearing are you running i was thinking 18-20 cluthchbell and a 36 spur.
The engine can pull any gears you want to throw at it... However, with the Qoncepts kit, you can run the 1/8 scale three shoe clutch and clutch bell when using the flywheel that comes in the Qoncepts kit. So........ I got the Robinson Racing hardened clutch bell for the Savage (18 tooth) and use Associated MGT composit shoes and LOSI LST2 clutch springs, and the HPI (Savage) flywheel nut, which allows you to install the clutch shoes leading edge and the springs line up perfect on the flywheel nut for a bullet proof clutch set up. The leading edge (backward) installation of the MGT shoes make for quick lock up but smooth engagment, and the clutch can hold anything the engine can throw at it, including a modified STS .30. Really the way to go, at least from my experience. For the spur gear, I started out with the 36 tooth, but the vehicle had just too much top speed with it's set up. Big Joe's and a soft suspension. In the street in front of the house, I could see the chasis at the edge of controlled handling, so I cut the spur down to 38 teeth. That was better, and I think the best combination, but now my grandsons like to drive it, so I switched to a 40 tooth spur just to lower the speed a little. With the forward only kit in the transmission, the whole drive train holds up fine. Wheelies as much as you want, but one of the good qualties of the STS .30 is it's very smooth power delivery from idle right up through the rpm range, so the truck can be driven easily with smooth roll on's so it is not a crazy wheelie machine, but just pull the trigger a little more and it reaches for the sky.

Dennis
Old 06-23-2007, 07:07 AM
dirt101

I might see if I can stretch and get the quoncepts mount. I have heard nothing but good things about it. now I came up with a new problem

lets add things up here

sts .30 dm $140 $140

qoncepts stage 3 bb kit $85 $225

Tekno or Rpm rear a-arms $10-20 $245

RR clutchbell $20 $265

Mgt pipe $20 $285

Clutch shoes and springs $?? $285+

A high school kid with too much time on his hands $ priceless

Im not shure how much the clutch shoes and springs will cost but it shouldn't be to much.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:09 AM
BigGrump

Clutch shoes and springs will kill $20.00. You also forgot the forward only gear changes in the transmission.

Also, look forward to a lot of tinkering to get the throttle linkage working right and probably a more powerful throttle servo. Last, the Qoncepts kit locks you into the STS engine with roto-start. Only one that fits. Any other engine using bump start and you need a bump start starter box. Only way around this is to not use the Qoncepts, but rather the new era BB kit. Also, don't forget the Traxxas engine-chassis brace which is a must and the Qoncepts chassis brace. I use both to hold the torque of the engine and movement of gear mesh caused by flexing.

In all respects, this mod is both expensive and a lot of work. For the same money, you could buy the Picco .26 engine with Ofna motor mounts that is a drop in.

I would recommend doing the BB installation in the REVO as long as you have pleanty of time and willingness to do the pretty complicated installation, and pleanty of money to throw at it. Last the STS .30 sucks the fuel tank empty really fast.

Dennis
Old 06-23-2007, 10:14 PM
dirt101

Is the STS .30 shorter than most big blocks? If its not why would it be the only one to fit, becuase I kinda bidded on a picco .28 p3 with a v6 clutch. I am the high bidder at $90 so if any one wants to come outbid me you are welcome. It comes with roto back plate a bump start backplate. Its got like 1.25 gallons on it. If I win I will do the traxxas mount with the tranny scooted forward idea.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:16 PM
NitroVenom

how much more time is on the bid?
Old 06-23-2007, 11:29 PM
dirt101

I think 12 hrs.

I might keep bidding anyways its just so convincing. I have yet to read ONE bad report on the picco p3 and I have been reading for hours and hours. The STS has like a 95% good report so its convincing too. But come on a v6 clutch too I just couldnt pass it up.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:21 AM
dirt101

im going with the sts 30 becuase the one I was looking at didnt come with an input shaft or a OWB
Old 06-24-2007, 12:22 AM
NitroVenom

Yea this is true... The only thing is that the last 2 hours is when it really starts to shoot up. [] What you think would be a great deal just got another $60 addaed on by 3 hours left. Best way to keep the price low is not to bid until the end. Otherwise you will just keep trying to out bid someone else for the 12 hours until its not a good deal anymore.. then its [:'(]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.