Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

is the axial.28 good in a revo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 01:49 PM
revo_maniack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is the axial.28 good in a revo?

why do you like the axial .28 in your revo? what are the pros and cons?

thanks!!!
Old 11-17-2008, 05:03 AM
Gregcy89

Default RE: is the axial.28 good in a revo?

very strange question dude!this engine has only one cos:it will break your revo gearbox after 20 minutes of running! you must buy the robinson steel transmission to enjoy this .28 babe! the transmission costs 100 usd bucks and includes 1st.2nd.wide ratio steel gears!
i bought it and i dont regret!
Old 11-17-2008, 08:43 AM
superman11
My Feedback: (1)

You might need some new CVD's as well... Why dont you just buy the Picco red dot? It is a drop in motor... The Axial is not
Old 11-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Gustaf4096

The axial .28 s can be bought for $105 on ebay right now, its like half the price of picco / os.

Tempting....
Old 11-17-2008, 02:45 PM
superman11
My Feedback: (1)

Yea, but then you need CVD's and an all steal tranny, but you might already have all of that because of the twin 3.3 prototype...
Old 11-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Gustaf4096

ORIGINAL: superman11

Yea, but then you need CVD's and an all steal tranny, but you might already have all of that because of the twin 3.3 prototype...
My drivetrain is pretty hot but no steel inside the gearbox yet. Ive read someone here have good mileage with stock gearbox.
Iam interested in this axial thing it seems dumb not to try when u get one for the same price as a 3.3
Old 11-17-2008, 09:03 PM
CBM Racing

Bro has one in his revo. First 3 months no issues after figuring out how to mount side pipe as stock pipe sucks for bb. You will need big block conversion, he used traxxas one, and he still had to move tranny forward I think 3/8 inch. He used stock tranny with reverse for quite awhile no problem, then it started eating tranny gears, then pinion gears. Now he finally upgraded to steel gears in tranny, and also hardened clutchbell, and no more issues. So, figure in the cost of engine, big block conversion, and most likely spare tranny gears and spur gears and clutchbells...not such a great bargain eh? I would go for a drop in of some kind, os 21tm, picco...drop in and better built engines to boot, win win!
Old 11-17-2008, 10:57 PM
JLRevo

Axial is a down low torque motor, it does have the rpm that most motors have. So you will pull wheelies and have whole shots(if you can put the torque down) but most motors will kill it on the top end. Get an OS or Picco. Thats why most people run OS or Picco motors. I Picco 26.max and Picco .26 RedDot AB Drag modded. I know the price is a little higher, but you get what you pay for. Save up a little longer and get an OS 18 or 21 or try Piccos line. Those are some of the time mills for right around 200 bucks.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:07 AM
Gustaf4096

ORIGINAL: kasarn

Axial is a down low torque motor, it does have the rpm that most motors have. So you will pull wheelies and have whole shots(if you can put the torque down) but most motors will kill it on the top end. Get an OS or Picco. Thats why most people run OS or Picco motors. I Picco 26.max and Picco .26 RedDot AB Drag modded. I know the price is a little higher, but you get what you pay for. Save up a little longer and get an OS 18 or 21 or try Piccos line. Those are some of the time mills for right around 200 bucks.
What you are saying seems very correct. If you need big block kit and misc modifying like drilling out the chassis then you are close to the $200 a drop in would cost.

Its the torque (75 OZ) that really kills a transmission not horsepower so it might be better to get a Picco or OS. I think they are in the range of 45-55 OZ.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:37 AM
JLRevo

That why I didnt get the Picco .28. Its a beast and brutal on the drivetrain( Over_Revo) can testify to that. So I went with something that has less torque. O.S. and Picco make some great motors for the price. If you want to be fast Axial isnt the way to go. It has tons of tirgue but I'M pretty sure most of the power starts to drop of at around 24-28000 revs. Thats fun for bashing. But if you have an all out with os 18 or 21 or any of Piccos line, you'll be wishing you saved up the money. Just trying to be helpful. I looked into many motors before settling on my choice. There are very few time tested motors for less that $170.