Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

engine still not working...again

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Danju

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine still not working...again

before i go on to explain my problems, ill show you my setup
1. I installed a new THS pipe (eversince i got this pipe, everything went wrong)
2. i installed a new boca bearing to replace my leaking front bearing.
3. there are no airleaks in the engine now.
4. its a trx 3.3 that has gone through a little less than 2 gals

the same problem that happened to me last time:

i start the engine everything seems to run fine. lots of smoke, easy to prime. carb is set at factory setting except HSN is turned out 5 turns. i drive around slowly so i dont ruin my new pipe. after about 30 sec of slow driving, the engine starts acting weirdly. i try to accelerate, engine sounds like it wants to shut off. i do this a couple of times and the engine finally cuts out. i try to restart, but engine floods. i unflood it and try to restart, it floods again. after this, i tried starting engine 2 more times but it always floods.

does anyone know whats wrong with this? im so desperate to get this thing running for atleast one minute!
thanks
Old 07-11-2007, 06:12 PM
CrT-RaCeR

Default RE: engine still not working...again

try a hotter plug, too cold of a plug will make you chase the tune forever with no avail and do that, and fuel will pour out of your pipe too when flooding so that might clog the pipe and make the engine prime on its own.........happened to me and it was very frustrating
Old 07-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Danju

im using McCoy MC-59 glow plugs. ive been using it eversince i got the truck. i dont think its the plug thats causing all this problem though. one thing i dont know is that how can the engine flood when ive got the glow starter on the engine even before i tug the pull start?
uhhhh.....
Old 07-11-2007, 06:32 PM
jkdv8
My Feedback: (1)

sounds kinda rich!! would explain why you had to change the front bearing on the engine. i thought the factory settings for that engine were 4 turns(might even be 3, not sure). and that is really to rich in my opinion.

EDIT: keep in mind that most aftermarket pipes create more back pressure that a stock pipe thus pushing more fuel through the engine. im surprised you even got it to run on 5 turns out on the hsn.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:36 PM
DaveG55

Your're too rich by far.
If you're set at factory settings that's too rich for the stock set-up. When you put a better pipe on you've just compounded the problem. It's flooding because the HSN is too rich.
Also, why are you driving slowly? A pipe does not have to be broken in.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Danju

well i have a bigger airfilter and different fuel so i had to richen the whole engine...but yeah i might try to lean it out.
thanks though
Old 07-11-2007, 06:37 PM
jkdv8

^^jinx^^ lol
Old 07-11-2007, 06:41 PM
DaveG55

You might have to richen it some (over what a properly tuned stock set-up would run at) but a full turn out from factory is too much - pretty much whatever you're running.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Danju

for the HSN, ive tried 3 turns out, 4 turns out, 5 turns, 6 turns, and 7 turns....still cant work...but right now ill try to lean it. but when im at 4 turns out, theres no smoke comiing from the exhasut.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:05 PM
jkdv8

the low speed could be too rich as well. what is it set at?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:15 PM
DaveG55

It really sounds like you don't have a clue on how to tune. Sorry if that sounds harsh but when you say that you've "tried 3 turns out, 4 turns out, 5 turns, 6 turns, and 7 turns" it sounds very random and not at all how to go about tuning.
Reset everything to factory settings and tune the engine properly in the proper order and I'll bet, with a little patience, you'll solve your problem.
Here are some tuning videos that are pretty good. They're done on a Savage but most car/truck engines tune the exact same way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSmMzpZM_As
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJFsJAxNoRg
And the Traxxas site has good instructions on tuning for performance.
http://www.traxxas.com/support/index...l&cat=34&id=92
Old 07-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Danju

okay, i leaned the HSN and the engine was lasting a little longer. it was about 3 turns out. the LSN was flush from carb and the idle was 1mm. it was easier to start the engine but every time i accelerate, the engine would shut off. also if i turn off the engine, the fuel recedes from the tubing and goes back in the tank..
any help on this
Old 07-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Danju

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

It really sounds like you don't have a clue on how to tune.
actaully it would be easier to tune when i have a base setting. i know the factory setting is HSN: 4 turn out, LSN: flush, and idle 1mm. but eversince i changed fuel and airfilter, the settings have been altered so much, i really dont know where i was. but of course i knew i was at the right tune cuz the engine was runing good...basically, i know how to tune if i was giving a place to start at.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:39 PM
DaveG55

Factory settings ARE the base settings. That is where you start at, no matter what you've done to the engine. There are very few exceptions to that - and a new pipe and air filter are not exceptions.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Danju

well, im not sure...anyway, i just leaned the engine and now its about 2 turns out. the engine is running for a little longer and the fuel is not receding. so i think im going the right way. but i still cant figure out why the engine only lasts for 10sec then it dies? does anyone know? i was also tinkering with the LSN and it seems like it wont help either.
any sujestions?

edit: and even at 2 turns, there is a HANDFUL of exhaust pouring out.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:19 PM
rawiswar

ORIGINAL: Danju

well, im not sure...anyway, i just leaned the engine and now its about 2 turns out. the engine is running for a little longer and the fuel is not receding. so i think im going the right way. but i still cant figure out why the engine only lasts for 10sec then it dies? does anyone know? i was also tinkering with the LSN and it seems like it wont help either.
any sujestions?

edit: and even at 2 turns, there is a HANDFUL of exhaust pouring out.

ok just get the truck started and try and get the engine warm then wot it and if it dies out richen hsn needle 1/8th only at a time

until at high speed your shifting and getting good performance

then tune your lsn so you get a good start form stop (and around 3 seconds till engine dies when pinching the fuel line)

then adjust yor idle to lowest it will stay running at stop

remember to only adjust the needles a 1/8th at a time or less (you may be missing the sweet spot)

on my t maxx when i put a new pipe on and air filter i had to richen the engine a fair bit (but that was my experiance) but what i did notice it made the tuning very sensitive

also you tried putting your stock pipe back on to see if the engine is ok.

also if you take your exhaust off is there unspent fuel that comes out of the exhaust port on the rear of the engine (where the header attaches to the engine)

had the problem with that and there was a dust cover in the exhaust blocking the fumes from escaping and shutting off engine and flood

(another experiance of mine)

also what air filter you have on
Old 07-11-2007, 08:32 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changing fuel will affect the engine also. Start out at the factory setting and follow the vids that Dave showed you. If you have to, write down the steps and bring those outside so you dont forget. Of course its not gonna have the same tune because it has a difrent fuel so don't worry about it hesitating a little at first because its just running all the old fuel out. Then not to mention you got a new pipe and filter. If I were changing fuels I would tare down the motor(take off the head nd backplate) and clean it out with carb cleaner and then lube it all back up with wd-40. This might not be neccesary but You also put on a new pipe and filter. Not to mention changed the front bearing. So in your case, I would do it just to make it a little easier when it comes time to run it. Because right now your trying to tune it when it still hasn't flushed out the old fuel. Also to add to the tuning guids, let the truck reach somewhat normal operating temps 190-220 before you start fine tuning. Otherwise you'll probably run out of gas before you find a good tune. Try all of these steps that we have shown you(with patience) and tell us what happens.

-Mike
Old 07-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Danju

ORIGINAL: rawiswar

ok just get the truck started and try and get the engine warm then wot it and if it dies out richen hsn needle 1/8th only at a time
i can get the engine started but i only can idle it. if i accelerate it, the engine will shut off no matter what. my HSN is turned out 2 times. LSN= flush. 2 times sounds very lean but this is the only way to let my engine idle longer. im trying to "guess" where the sweet spot is. does anyone know why whenever i try to gas it, it cuts off?
thanks

Old 07-11-2007, 09:30 PM
NitroVenom

Like I said before its because of switching the fuels.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Danju

i switched fuels like a month ago. like jkdv8 said, its the pipe thats messing it up...i think i just need to mess around with the needles. but why does it keep on cutting off?! huuu...
Old 07-11-2007, 09:47 PM
rawiswar

ORIGINAL: NitroVenom

Like I said before its because of switching the fuels.

its not fuel ok
Old 07-11-2007, 09:48 PM
rawiswar

i switched fuels like a month ago. like jkdv8 said, its the pipe thats messing it up...i think i just need to mess around with the needles. but why does it keep on cutting off?! huuu...

like i said put the stock pipe on and see how it runs then, if you have to send the pipe back and get a replacement you never know it could be the pipe is bad, it happens
Old 07-11-2007, 09:49 PM
rawiswar

ORIGINAL: rawiswar

i can get the engine started but i only can idle it. if i accelerate it, the engine will shut off no matter what. my HSN is turned out 2 times. LSN= flush. 2 times sounds very lean but this is the only way to let my engine idle longer. im trying to "guess" where the sweet spot is. does anyone know why whenever i try to gas it, it cuts off?
thanks

also richen the hsn to 4 and richen the lsn a little too and raise the idle a little
Old 07-11-2007, 09:51 PM
rawiswar

would be great if you could get a video, you see a lot of this stuff can be done by listening to the engine
Old 07-11-2007, 09:57 PM
NitroVenom

You said you just put on the new pipe and air filter right? Did you change the fuel and run it before you put on the new filter and pipe. Was it running good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.