Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Removeable Tire Glue

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 11:31 PM
bocam1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removeable Tire Glue

WHats up guys, and I am sure Gals too. I just wanted to share with you a trick that I found out about 2 weeks ago. I wanted to test it to see if it holds up. I found that you can use an RTV sealant for your tires. For those of you that do not know what RTV is, it is an automotive gasket maker that you can get from autozone or Oreileys. You can probably get it at walmart. Anyway I use Black RTV. We all know how hard it is to unglue a broken wheel from a good tire. IT is almost impossible. The old boil them trick has never worked for me. This silicone sealant, will glue the tire, but when you want it off, Just a simple pry, and you can peel it right off the rim. The only residue that remains, can be removed with your fingernail. I am testing this on a Tmaxx with a picco .21 and it works perfect. I had to remove some bad tires, from some good wheels, and I had them all off in less than 5 min. One more thing, the RTV that I use is black, so you can not see some of the residue on the tire when it dries. I hope this helps someone.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:45 AM
-SomeGuy-

Default RE: Removeable Tire Glue

Do you give a light sanding to the wheel for the rtv to stick nicely? I know that with beadlocks and a picco 28 its not a good combination as the tire allways comes out [].
Old 07-16-2007, 02:48 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might try this but if you can pry it off with your hands then wont it come off just as easily with normal running? I guess I'll have to wait for you to do some more testing.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:54 PM
crna2b

Gals? where?
Old 07-17-2007, 05:30 PM
kuiwoods

hmmph ill give it a try when i get my new tire n wheel bundle and if it works awesome if not eh oh well boiling work for me usually only broke old tire more n takes lil time to get off resta tire left by glue
Old 07-17-2007, 09:57 PM
bocam1

I do not sand at all. I took a brand new set of wheels and tires, and RTV'd them. I let them dry overnite and it works great. Like I said, My T MAXX is pretty fast and has a lot of torque. I have bashed for a couple of weeks with great luck. When you glue it all the way around the wheel, there is alot of clamping force there. The way the RTV is designed, it sticks to anything when it dries, but is still so plyable, that you can pull it apart. It takes a bit of force to get it started, but once it comes off, it is real easy. My buddy has a LST2 that is pretty bad ass also, with a .30 on it, and it has held up for a week now. No problems. Try it out. It works great for me, I will not go back to super glue. And as far as the boiling thing goes, I tried that with some mini t wheels. and melted them. LOL. No luck. Maybe I just do not know how you guys do it. Anyway, I hope this helps. Oh by the way, since I have glued the tires on like this, I have recently broken 2 axles. One front, and one rear. Go figure.